TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm Committed

Bunky

I had my credit union search for the best deal on a 08 GT-C via their dealership network, which would be a straight buy (no trade in).

I gave a dealer I had been talking to the opportunity to solve my problem, ...getting rid of my 200K mile Dodge.

Their orginal price was about $900 more than my credit union, but had a nav system.

They beat my credit union price by $100, and will give me something for my junker!

Cash deal. We shook hands over the phone.

So, now, what do I consider when they start with the "extras", ...paint protection, interior protection, etc.??

Or do I just take it and drive away?? :peelout:

I had my credit union search for the best deal on a 08 GT-C via their dealership network, which would be a straight buy (no trade in).

I gave a dealer I had been talking to the opportunity to solve my problem, ...getting rid of my 200K mile Dodge.

Their orginal price was about $900 more than my credit union, but had a nav system.

They beat my credit union price by $100, and will give me something for my junker!

So, now, what do I consider when they start with the "extras", ...paint protection, interior protection, etc.??

just smile and say I am glad you pointed that out as I wasn't going to charge you anything for the paint protection and interior protection for my 200k mile Dodge! Guess it's your lucky day....now where do I sign. Craig :finger:

DRIVE AWAY remember "stealerships"

Only dealer extra I bought was LoJack... If someone steals my Acura, it can be easily replaced. My Shelby GT convertible.... not so much. LoJack has better than a 90% recovery rate within the 1st 2 hours. They also have good coverage through the law enforcement network in my county and all surrounding areas. Dealer doesn't install it. LoJack comes to your house and does it. Paid $750 and thought it was a fair price.

Always, when I negotiate a price on a car it's out the door price we're talking about. That's delivery, dealer prep, taxes, title, everything...no surprises. Makes everything neat and simple. As far as LoJack, they did try to sell me that after the deal on the Shelby. The pitch went something like "a lot of Shelby's get stolen". My response was (and I think I'm in the minority here) "if someone steals my Shelby, I don't want it back"! There a lots of good used ones out there that haven't been stolen, trashed and crashed so, it can be replaced. Most recovered stolen cars I wouldn't want. JMHO.

Jim

Always, when I negotiate a price on a car it's out the door price we're talking about. That's delivery, dealer prep, taxes, title, everything...no surprises. Makes everything neat and simple. As far as LoJack, they did try to sell me that after the deal on the Shelby. The pitch went something like "a lot of Shelby's get stolen". My response was (and I think I'm in the minority here) "if someone steals my Shelby, I don't want it back"! There a lots of good used ones out there that haven't been stolen, trashed and crashed so, it can be replaced. Most recovered stolen cars I wouldn't want. JMHO.

Jim

They initially had offered to sell it to me for the Ford Sticker. I got tax and registration from the ca.gov website, and sent them the total, ...which was more than my credit union.

They came back with an "out the door" price better than the CU.

So Sunday we'll see what that means.

Congratulations on the GT-C! I personally am not a fan of the paint protection, interior protection and extended warranties. Buy that stuff over the counter and do it yourself if you feel the need for hundreds less. It's snake oil (no pun intended). Also I put the money for a warranty in the bank in case of a breakdown some day instead of buying an extended warranty. However, I did get the Lo/Jack with Early Warning System too at the dealership. I paid ~$900 and probably paid way to much for the LoJack but it's done and it's a lifetime subscription. I love the GT-C. Nice car!

Jim

Agreed on true OTD price... then you're comparing "apples to apples" when cross-shopping for your best deal. I'm also willing to travel out of state to get the best price. I paid $6k under sticker in June.

As far as LoJack, I thought about the same thing, but I considered that their record is outstanding... it was that "within the first 2 hours" part that sold me. If it's been gone longer than that and gets stripped or wreck, you probably don't want it back. They also offer a nifty feature that's independent of any alarm(s) you might also have called an Early Warning System. One of the criticisms on LoJack is that you have to know the car is missing and then report it to Law Enforcement as stolen ASAP. With EWS, they install gyroscopic sensors in the car (in undisclosed locations). When the car is moved, whether it's hot-wired or simply loaded on a flat-bed tow truck, and LoJack does not detect the presence of a special key fob (on your keychain) you get a text message, e-mail, and/or phone call(s) telling you someone's moved your car and you may want to check on it. If it's gone, you report it right away and an APB goes out on your car... make, model, color, license plate, vin, and all local law enforcement agencies with LoJack receivers starting seeking your car's signal. Unlike Onstar (or a secondary alarm), there's no simple antenna or wire for the thief to simply cut and neuter the effectiveness and they can't even tell it has LoJack unless they start tearing the interior of the car apart... which is why they don't put any stickers on the car advertising "protected by LoJack", as many alarms do.

P.S. - No, I don't work for LoJack ;) ... just bought it after careful consideration (researched long before I was ready for purchase) and hope I never have to use it. No monitoring fees either (like Onstar)... another plus for me. Single outlay of cash.

Congrats on the new baby...

- Matt

Just PURCHASED Lojack EWS for Dale's SGT last week......was charged $995.

was quoted $695 for "regular" lojack, but the EWS system seemed like a no-brainer.

Call, text, email within a minute of the car moving without the fob, sounds good to me.

We live 30 minutes from Port Newark, YOU DONT WANT TO GIVE THE THIEFS ANY LEAD TIME!

AND get out of that dealership WITHOUT any extras, you will only be making the deal better

for them. IMO.

Congrats on joining the fold. You'll not regret it.

My dealer quoted me an out the door price over the phone for my new 07 SGT. I went down, saw the car and since I was paying cash all I needed was the paperwork to sign. He insisted me on seeing his finance guy. Some finance guy, he was the "snake oil" salesman in disguise. I am a stubborn Taurus so he was fighting an uphill battle he couldn't win. Because of the truly good deal, 38K out the door, he finally admitted they needed to make more on my transaction by pushing the extended warranty, paint and leather protection, etc.

Every auto parts store I've ever been in has lots of paint and leather protection products, even Wal-Mart. As for the warranty, my car was purchased as a weekend driver in summers only. After 10 months, I just turned 3,300 miles. After my pending Vegas trip, it will be parked until spring. Any warranty, including the factory one is going expire before I use up the alotted miles.

Get you best deal, slide behind the wheel and punch it

Congrats on joining the fold. You'll not regret it.

My dealer quoted me an out the door price over the phone for my new 07 SGT. I went down, saw the car and since I was paying cash all I needed was the paperwork to sign. He insisted me on seeing his finance guy. Some finance guy, he was the "snake oil" salesman in disguise. I am a stubborn Taurus so he was fighting an uphill battle he couldn't win. Because of the truly good deal, 38K out the door, he finally admitted they needed to make more on my transaction by pushing the extended warranty, paint and leather protection, etc.

Every auto parts store I've ever been in has lots of paint and leather protection products, even Wal-Mart. As for the warranty, my car was purchased as a weekend driver in summers only. After 10 months, I just turned 3,300 miles. After my pending Vegas trip, it will be parked until spring. Any warranty, including the factory one is going expire before I use up the alotted miles.

Get you best deal, slide behind the wheel and punch it

The interesting part is after he sent me his offer, "out the door" for cash, I asked what's the best way to pay, ...wire transfer, cashier's check? He said they'd give me a few days to get the check for the exact amount, because after you talk to the finance manager (but I'm paying cash!) you may want some "accessories"! That's when I asked what kind of accessories are you talking about, then he came out with the protection items. Must be a class they take. Since it's not in my sweaty hands yet I'm reluctant to say it but, ...$35k otd.

So since I sent pics of the Dodge, and he said they'd give me something for it, ...think I should mention I already fell for that paint protection thingy 9 years ago.

Didn't work out too well, ...did it?

Dodge_100708_3.JPG

Dodge_100708_3.JPG

The interesting part is after he sent me his offer, "out the door" for cash, I asked what's the best way to pay, ...wire transfer, cashier's check? He said they'd give me a few days to get the check for the exact amount, because after you talk to the finance manager (but I'm paying cash!) you may want some "accessories"! That's when I asked what kind of accessories are you talking about, then he came out with the protection items. Must be a class they take. Since it's not in my sweaty hands yet I'm reluctant to say it but, ...$35k otd.

So since I sent pics of the Dodge, and he said they'd give me something for it, ...think I should mention I already fell for that paint protection thingy 9 years ago.

Didn't work out too well, ...did it?

Dodge_100708_3.JPG

My "cash" was actually a Cashier's Check. At the time I took delivery, I felt my car was so far ahead of anything I had owned for over 30 some years it didn't need any accessories. Naturally I received the Ford and Shelby warrany with the vehicle. My dealer offers free oil changes and State inspections for life anyway so he didn't have anything else I needed. I planned to keep it as close to stock as possible. When I joined the Team and got the Shelby Performance catalog things changed. After pouring over the catalog, it couldn't be helped.

My "cash" was actually a Cashier's Check. At the time I took delivery, I felt my car was so far ahead of anything I had owned for over 30 some years it didn't need any accessories. Naturally I received the Ford and Shelby warrany with the vehicle. My dealer offers free oil changes and State inspections for life anyway so he didn't have anything else I needed. I planned to keep it as close to stock as possible. When I joined the Team and got the Shelby Performance catalog things changed. After pouring over the catalog, it couldn't be helped.

It seems the "accessories" never, ever, end!!! :hysterical:

Drive it like you stole it!!! Enjoy the ride and welcome to the family, too...

Gary

Deal is done!

Bunk__s_Shelby_11_1__Small_.jpg

Bunk__s_Shelby_12_1__Small_.jpg

I ws surprised when one of the two SGT-C's there didn't have the signed visor.

An hour and a half ride from Simi Valley to Orange County, ...lane changes now have a whole new meaning!!

Bunk__s_Shelby_12_1__Small_.jpg

Bunk__s_Shelby_11_1__Small_.jpg

Archived