TEAM SHELBY FORUM

As I figured in the past, the GT500 is 11sec. car

LSR

I posted a reply in the past about the GT500 coupe able to do 11's with just gears, drag rear tires, and no tune.

I figured this with my past Drag Racing experience in the past and seeing Mustangs & Fast Fords mag. run a 12.25 @117 mph.

Alot of people say the GT500 is to heavy, but as a former Drag Racer I know weight isn't an issue if you have good driver, good power #'s, a solid chassis, some rear slicks, and able to lauch with some RPM's. The GT500 has just the recipe for 11's. After seeing the under carage of the GT500 and previous Mustangs, Ford really did an exceptional job with the GT500 and the GT500 is for sure the best Mustang Ford has ever built.

Question for the "car is to heavy" critics.

If the GT500 is so heavy, then why is this guy going 11's with a convertible GT500?

Here are the mods.:

07 Shelby vert.

shorty antenna

lite-bar

quicklift hood props

hurst linelock

FM axel-back

4.10"s

94 octane pump Gas

Weld XP`s w/Hoosier 28-10-16 slicks

Full weight incl spare.lol 4202lbs

11.35 @125mph

And here is the thread were you can ask the owner himself:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326307

How about Evolution Performance doing it in 10.46 sec & 132.83 mph? I think they will need a roll bar soon per the rules going that fast :shift:

heres the link...see for yourself

http://www.evoperform.com/GT500/track2.wmv

While it is fun to watch Evolution's progress, they passed being reasonably stock long ago. I personally want to see more stock times in the 11s. So far this vert is the only one I know of. I have not been trolling off this site much looking for other times though. Who else is in the 11s in stock form?

I posted a reply in the past about the GT500 coupe able to do 11's with just gears, drag rear tires, and no tune.

I figured this with my past Drag Racing experience in the past and seeing Mustangs & Fast Fords mag. run a 12.25 @117 mph.

Alot of people say the GT500 is to heavy, but as a former Drag Racer I know weight isn't an issue if you have good driver, good power #'s, a solid chassis, some rear slicks, and able to lauch with some RPM's. The GT500 has just the recipe for 11's. After seeing the under carage of the GT500 and previous Mustangs, Ford really did an exceptional job with the GT500 and the GT500 is for sure the best Mustang Ford has ever built.

If the GT500 is so heavy, then why is this guy going 11's with a convertible GT500?

Here are the mods.:

07 Shelby vert.

shorty antenna

lite-bar

quicklift hood props

hurst linelock

FM axel-back

4.10"s

94 octane pump Gas

11.35 @125mph

That's impressive!! It did have an SCT 'packaged' tune (he says so later in that thread).

And he's clearly a good driver

But, if it was 3500 lbs it would be squarely in the 10s ;-) Nevertheless, when he puts on the CAI and does a custom tune, he just might see a 10 (or very close) with similar weather (50s-60s) -- without pulleys!!! Awesome!

That's impressive!! It did have an SCT 'packaged' tune (he says so later in that thread).

And he's clearly a good driver

But, if it was 3500 lbs it would be squarely in the 10s ;-) Nevertheless, when he puts on the CAI and does a custom tune, he just might see a 10 (or very close) with similar weather (50s-60s) -- without pulleys!!! Awesome!

Yeah, I noticed the tune, but what I mentioned in my thread is that a GT500 coupe could go 11's without a tune, just gears and a set of slicks. Why it is possible is simply the weight difference in a coupe and the above mentioned 11 sec. convertible. The GT500's weight makes for very good weight transfer, and many other components are all working well together at the drag strip.

Yeah, I noticed the tune, but what I mentioned in my thread is that a GT500 coupe could go 11's without a tune, just gears and a set of slicks. Why it is possible is simply the weight difference in a coupe and the above mentioned 11 sec. convertible. The GT500's weight makes for very good weight transfer, and many other components are all working well together at the drag strip.

Yeah, when you think about it, it's really an all-round well balanced offering -- a true pony Grand Tourer and damn fast in a dtraight line too. I'm suprised at how many folks that have dropped thru this site don;t seem to appreciate what an achievement this car is -- weight and all. Sweet pony ;-)

Yeah, when you think about it, it's really an all-round well balanced offering -- a true pony Grand Tourer and damn fast in a dtraight line too. I'm suprised at how many folks that have dropped thru this site don;t seem to appreciate what an achievement this car is -- weight and all. Sweet pony ;-)

The GT500 is truely just a fast car and the potential of this car is huge. I knew after seeing Mustangs & Fast Fords mag. run a 12.25 @117 mph with no mods and on stock tires. I knew the GT500 Shelby was an 11sec. car. And 11sec. could be done without warranty voiding mods.

Not to take anything away from tuners/shops, but the GT500 has a really good combo and don't need mods. unless one want to run low 11's or faster.

I was really wanting to see someone try to go as quick as possible with a GT500 without mods to see the real potential of the car and MD03SVT did just that and with a convertible showing the real potential of the GT500 :rockon:

Evo's car is far from being stock. MD03SVT's numbers are more impressive. He has the following mods:

FM axel-back

4.10"s

94 octane pump Gas

Full weight incl spare 4202lbs

SCT Canned Tune

Unfortunately the dealer would void his warranty with these mods.

Evo's car is far from being stock. MD03SVT's numbers are more impressive. He has the following mods:

FM axel-back

4.10"s

94 octane pump Gas

Full weight incl spare 4202lbs

SCT Canned Tune

Unfortunately the dealer would void his warranty with these mods.

Huh, why?? SCT tuner stores stock tune if needed and I'm sure he wouldn't pull in the service dept with slicks. they can't nail you for an axle back system either or the 4:10's. Please explain, I've sold and have been around service dept for years with Ford. I'm disagreeing here.

Here are the mods.:

07 Shelby vert.

shorty antenna

lite-bar

quicklift hood props

hurst linelock

FM axel-back

4.10"s

94 octane pump Gas

11.35 @125mph

Let me first say, I spoke to this guy at TMP (Cayuga), great guy and watched/photographed him run one of his early runs at 12.5 @115-116, then 12.1 with slicks . Now with just a tune he goes 11.8, and with bigger slicks runs 11.4-11.3. What's making me scratch my head is the 10 mph increase from stock. How?? He ran 120 with the tune, now he picks up 5 mph more when bigger slicks added and 4:10's???? Something not right here or he has a super strong one out of the factory. he admits the installed tune he used gained him 20-30 hp only and .2-.3 tenths. So what gives??? and it's heavier ragtop too. Gears do not give you much more, if any mph at the end, if all else is right with your combo and traction is there, the e/t's will improve.

Huh, why?? SCT tuner stores stock tune if needed and I'm sure he wouldn't pull in the service dept with slicks. they can't nail you for an axle back system either or the 4:10's. Please explain, I've sold and have been around service dept for years with Ford. I'm disagreeing here.

Let me first say, I spoke to this guy at TMP (Cayuga), great guy and watched/photographed him run one of his early runs at 12.5 @115-116, then 12.1 with slicks . Now with just a tune he goes 11.8, and with bigger slicks runs 11.4-11.3. What's making me scratch my head is the 10 mph increase from stock. How?? He ran 120 with the tune, now he picks up 5 mph more when bigger slicks added and 4:10's???? Something not right here or he has a super strong one out of the factory. he admits the installed tune he used gained him 20-30 hp only and .2-.3 tenths. So what gives??? and it's heavier ragtop too. Gears do not give you much more, if any mph at the end, if all else is right with your combo and traction is there, the e/t's will improve.

He also has an exhaust on the car and the dealer could tell he has gears as soon as they drove it. It really depends on his dealer and their service department. In my experience when it comes to a major repair if they can find a way out of it they will.

As far as the 10hp increase, cooler temps will do that. I'm not sure what the temps were when he ran his 11.8 but the recent run was done with the temps in the 50 - 60 degree range.

He also has an exhaust on the car and the dealer could tell he has gears as soon as they drove it. It really depends on his dealer and their service department. In my experience when it comes to a major repair if they can find a way out of it they will.

As far as the 10hp increase, cooler temps will do that. I'm not sure what the temps were when he ran his 11.8 but the recent run was done with the temps in the 50 - 60 degree range.

its 10 MPH not 10 hp, in drag racing 10 mph equals roughly 100 hp. (i.e. 100 hp nos kit will give you approx 10 mph in the 1/4 mile) Must have been damn good air, he admits the sct gave him 20-30 hp. I'm not knocking here but am a little skeptical at the mph increase with almost no mods. Also, most admit here, the axle back on the 05 up cars gives almost nil.........2-4 ponies maybe............

its 10 MPH not 10 hp, in drag racing 10 mph equals roughly 100 hp. (i.e. 100 hp nos kit will give you approx 10 mph in the 1/4 mile) Must have been damn good air, he admits the sct gave him 20-30 hp. I'm not knocking here but am a little skeptical at the mph increase with almost no mods. Also, most admit here, the axle back on the 05 up cars gives almost nil.........2-4 ponies maybe............

Oops!!! Missed the 10 mph part. :doh:

Axle back may be worth more on the Shelby because it's supercharged. Either way MD03SVT's times are the most realistic that I've seen so far. What I mean by that is that they were achieved with regular bolt ons vs the extreme mods Evolution has done to their car.

In the hands of a capable driver, the GT500 should be good for low 12's to high 11's. With me behind the wheel well that's a different story. :hysterical::sos:

Archived