TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driving experience KR VS SS

08GT500KR

I have. Both really great cars. Both handle great (my SS has the same FRPP suspension that the KR comes with), both accelerate agressively but the SS is just a bit quicker (I have the 605 H.P. SS package, and KR's have been dynoed to be around 590 H.P. at the engine), the SS stops much better (Shelby/Baer 6P calipers vs. stock Brembo's on the KR), and even though I have changed the exhaust on my SS, if the exhaust was still post conversion stock, the KR's exhaust would sound 1000% better.

Getting back to the handling of both cars, even though the suspension is the same on both cars in this case, I have to tip my hat to the KR's handling for being slightly better than the SS's only because the 18" wheels and tires perform better through the twisties than the 20" setup does on the SS.

On the other hand, parked side by side at car shows and gatherings, 100% of the people will say "why the hell didn't they (FoMoCo/SAI) install 20" wheels and tires on the KR too, because the SS looks Sooooo much better. I just tell those people that when push comes to shove, FoMoCo puts performance before appearance.

Curious on the comparassion

I drove both back to back at Terlingua.

See my post elsewhere in this forum on my KR experience.

I drove two Snakes, one vert and one coupe. (lucky me!)

The coupe was a 725 KB with an upgraded suspension and a roll bar. Very fast and race car like. The convertible also had a KB with an Evo tune. Outrageous performance.

Comparing the two, the KR is much more sedate. It has a great high performance touring feel, very AMG-like. The Snakes have more of a right now feel. They are much more visceral than the KR.

There is no dilema here, you have to own one of each!

Michael

I have. Both really great cars. Both handle great (my SS has the same FRPP suspension that the KR comes with), both accelerate agressively but the SS is just a bit quicker (I have the 605 H.P. SS package, and KR's have been dynoed to be around 590 H.P. at the engine), the SS stops much better (Shelby/Baer 6P calipers vs. stock Brembo's on the KR), and even though I have changed the exhaust on my SS, if the exhaust was still post conversion stock, the KR's exhaust would sound 1000% better.

Getting back to the handling of both cars, even though the suspension is the same on both cars in this case, I have to tip my hat to the KR's handling for being slightly better than the SS's only because the 18" wheels and tires perform better through the twisties than the 20" setup does on the SS.

On the other hand, parked side by side at car shows and gatherings, 100% of the people will say "why the hell didn't they (FoMoCo/SAI) install 20" wheels and tires on the KR too, because the SS looks Sooooo much better. I just tell those people that when push comes to shove, FoMoCo puts performance before appearance.

The KR does not use the FRPP suspension. The KR uses a suspension that is half way between a stock GT500 and the FRPP. The FRPP is .25 of a inch lower then the KR, also the frpp has a slightly stiffer spring and has adjustable struts/ shocks( the kr does not have adjustable shocks))Any car with the frpp will out handle a kr if they have the 18inch tires(20's will hurt performance)

An SS with 18's would or should out handle a kr

The KR does not use the FRPP suspension. The KR uses a suspension that is half way between a stock GT500 and the FRPP. The FRPP is .25 of a inch lower then the KR, also the frpp has a slightly stiffer spring and has adjustable struts/ shocks( the kr does not have adjustable shocks))Any car with the frpp will out handle a kr if they have the 18inch tires(20's will hurt performance)

An SS with 18's would or should out handle a kr

Respectfully, I sat down with Gary Davis when I dropped my car off to have it SS'ed, and we spoke at great length (over an hour) about which suspension that I would select for my car. I initally desired to have the Shelby/Eibach suspension installed on it but Gary advised me against it, and then specifically told me and showed me that the FRPP suspension that they install on the Super Snakes is the same suspension that the KR was going to get and that "the Ford engineers really did their homework" on the FRPP suspension, so that's what I selected for my car.

To continue, like the KR, the FRPP suspension that is installed on my car and all other SS's who's owners desire to have it on their cars, do not come with adjustable shocks/struts either.

I have also spent a great deal of time underneath both my SS as well as a KR, and although I cannot specifically determine the spring rates between the two cars, the components are identical.

Respectfully, I sat down with Gary Davis when I dropped my car off to have it SS'ed, and we spoke at great length (over an hour) about which suspension that I would select for my car. I initally desired to have the Shelby/Eibach suspension installed on it but Gary advised me against it, and then specifically told me and showed me that the FRPP suspension that they install on the Super Snakes is the same suspension that the KR was going to get and that "the Ford engineers really did their homework" on the FRPP suspension, so that's what I selected for my car.

To continue, like the KR, the FRPP suspension that is installed on my car and all other SS's who's owners desire to have it on their cars, do not come with adjustable shocks/struts either.

I have also spent a great deal of time underneath both my SS as well as a KR, and although I cannot specifically determine the spring rates between the two cars, the components are identical.

Ford might have been leaning that way in the beginning but didn't do it. I agree totally what Gary and you say about ford doing their homework on the frpp suspension. The also did their homework on the KR's

They are different I will post the rates later need to dig them up.(posted on bottom)

Are shocks adjustable on the KR? the frpp shocks are adjustable.

I can guarantee you the suspension in the KR is not the FRPP suspension.I have a couple of friends in ford . I wanted the KR suspension for my car. They both talked me into the frpp suspension and outlined the difference to me. The FRPP suspension is actually more hardcore then the KR.

The KR also has different sway bars,it uses the same sway bar in the rear as a GT500 with a lighter one in the front Front sway bar #kr5482

The frpp kit has two totally different bars frrp# 5490

KR sway bar are 34mmX5.1 mm wall front and 24mm rear

Frpp 34.9mmX6.35 wall front and 23.9mm rear

KR components

front spring #8r3v-53100-kra rate 41.5n/mm height 36mm

rear spring #8r3v-5560 -kra rate 31.5 26mm

frpp

front spring# cm-5300-lf rate 45n/mm height 26mm

rear cm-5300-lr 35 16mm

Another difference is the bushings the kr uses a 65A durometer bushing ver a 85A bushing in the frpp kit(the 85 is stiffer)

these are the dampers in the FRPP suspension they are adjustable.

FRPP dampers

M-18000-C*

Fits 2007-08 SVT Mustang

Engineered specifically for improved handing on the 2007-08 SVT Mustang

Single adjustment with two-way response

Tuned to work with both stock ride height and lowered 2007-08 SVT Mustangs

Recommended for use with M-5300-L Spring Kit, M-5490-B Anti-roll Bar kit and M-20201-C Strut Tower Brace.

Archived