TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR driving impression

MMcGuirk

Hi,

Just thought I would share a few notes on my experience.

When we arrived in Alpine, approx. 110 miles from Terlingua, John Keller tossed me the keys to his new baby with 800 miles on it!

I must admit that I did not expect much more that a GT500. Wow, was I in for an awakening. This car has a very different character. The power band is very linear, the ride is extremely compliant, the turn in is much more precise than other S197s I have driven.

Understandably so, John was a little apprehensive with me by the wheel. My driving initially was very conservative. We cruised through the first set of twisties at a moderate rate. John was very curious of my impressions and I did my best to describe how it felt.

As we passed the Border Patrol checkpoint, John announced he was comfortable and suggested we turn up the wick. The KR shines as a high speed tourer. We were easy doubling the recommended yellow corner speeds with ease. No tire squeal, just grip. (great tires!) We came over a rise to one of those Texas "I can see forever straights", and I got the command "open her up"

We buried the speedo and there was more left. At that time, I noticed one red Super Snake 'vert about a mile back in my mirror and decided to lift and let him go by. This was a thrilling, 35-40 minute 100 mile ride. I am greatly appreciative of John giving me the opportunity to have this experience.

BTW: see the attached, I did clean off the bugs from my turn at the wheel.

Michael

141.jpg

Hey Bud,

:rolleyes: Why, yes I am :salute: :D

Great ride!!

Michael

Mike,

Sounds like a great time, (nice pics too) would've liked to have a photo-op with my '68 KR if he took local delivery.

We'll catch up to you soon,

Tom

Mike,

Sounds like a great time, (nice pics too) would've liked to have a photo-op with my '68 KR if he took local delivery.

We'll catch up to you soon,

Tom

Hey Tom,

SAI arraigned delivery to a dealer in Phoenix and John joined the cruise to Terlingua there. He is planning to be at CS86 in January, but I think you are bringing the 'vert to that?

It was an epic trip. All these great cars in an exceptional setting, incredible!

Michael

Hi,

Just thought I would share a few notes on my experience.

When we arrived in Alpine, approx. 110 miles from Terlingua, John Keller tossed me the keys to his new baby with 800 miles on it!

I must admit that I did not expect much more that a GT500. Wow, was I in for an awakening. This car has a very different character. The power band is very linear, the ride is extremely compliant, the turn in is much more precise than other S197s I have driven.

Understandably so, John was a little apprehensive with me by the wheel. My driving initially was very conservative. We cruised through the first set of twisties at a moderate rate. John was very curious of my impressions and I did my best to describe how it felt.

As we passed the Border Patrol checkpoint, John announced he was comfortable and suggested we turn up the wick. The KR shines as a high speed tourer. We were easy doubling the recommended yellow corner speeds with ease. No tire squeal, just grip. (great tires!) We came over a rise to one of those Texas "I can see forever straights", and I got the command "open her up"

We buried the speedo and there was more left. At that time, I noticed one red Super Snake 'vert about a mile back in my mirror and decided to lift and let him go by. This was a thrilling, 35-40 minute 100 mile ride. I am greatly appreciative of John giving me the opportunity to have this experience.

BTW: see the attached, I did clean off the bugs from my turn at the wheel.

Michael

Michael, it was my pleasure to let you take the KR for a spin after all you did play a big part in making it a reality, thank you for that……It was great to share the KR and the whole Terlingua experience with all my Shelby friends. It was a once in a life time experience. I don’t make a habit of letting others drive my cars but it was worth it to see others enjoy themselves like I did has we made history in Terlingua :shift: I am 90% sure I will be at the 86th I do know I will be in Vegas and Cali in the next coming months so maybe we can meet up for a photo shot with Cali KR it would be very cool to have pics. of both cars.

Bud, thanks again for the pics. can I get on your disk list? :drool:

John

Archived