TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR at MSRP!

svtakach62

I've got an offer for a Black KR at MSRP. I would just like some opinions on whats going to happen to these cars within the economic crisis.

If you had the money would you buy a KR at MSRP?

Will these cars sell at invoice or below by year-end?

Do you really believe these KRs will be worth more money in 10 years?

I have a Vapor GT500 and an '06 GT-H. One of these will have to go. I probably would sell the GT500...any thoughts?

Can I put 1,000 miles a year on a KR and it still appreciate in value?

I know most of us have thought about buying a KR or SS so any thoughts you might have would be appreciated!

SVT

The KR is a very nice GT500 indeed. IMO they won't go under MSRP because even know the economy is not doing well...there are still people that still have plenty of money to spend.

In regards to keeping the miles low: If you don't put many miles on it, then the Clutch Drag problem will not show it's ugly head for years to come and you will be out of warranty when it does show up. Just a thought.

I've got an offer for a Black KR at MSRP. I would just like some opinions on whats going to happen to these cars within the economic crisis.

I have a Vapor GT500 and an '06 GT-H. One of these will have to go. I probably would sell the GT500...any thoughts?

I know most of us have thought about buying a KR or SS so any thoughts you might have would be appreciated!

If you can afford it (especially upon liquidating the GT500), I'd say get it for MSRP.

SVT

Mileage, doesn't matter...unless it is a museum piece with only delivery miles, it won't make a difference if it has 15000 mi. or 35000 mi. The value will be the same.

Buy it and enjoy it...as we cannot predict what the future holds

Thanks for the advice! KEEP IT COMING....I'M STILL TORN ON WHAT TO DO.

My thinking is my GT500 will be worth $20K in five years. I just don't believe they will retain their value. I also want to make some mods to the tune of around $10k.

That will be like taking a match to the money.....might as well buy stocks! Ha (I'm a broker by the way). I feel like my GT-H will retain some value and my hope was if I buy

The KR it would at least retain 80% of its MSRP.

I know everyone tells me to buy the car and enjoy it but as an accountant/stockbroker it hard for me to think in those terms only.

Thanks Again for your posts.

SVT

I believe they will sell at MSRP once the hype goes away. Yes I would buy the KR at MSRP if I had the extra cash.

It looks like you have a 40th and an SS. Any regrets on spending that kind of money on a Shelby/Mustang? Would you take the KR over the 40th or the SS?

SVT

As others have said, never buy a car as an investment.

Out of all the GT500's, the KR will honestly be the only one that will really be worth anything in the future. The standard GT500 is a mass produced car, and not as collectible as many were led to believe 2 years ago. The KR is extremely limited.

The SS and the 40th's should do ok on future value, but nothing like the KR will. A limited factory car vs a limited factory retro-fit.

As far as short term goes, think of it this way... it took about 2 years before we started seeing a fair amount of MSRP deals on regular GT500s, and still today a few dealers are charging as much as $20k over (???) so the KR should NEVER see MSRP in its short run.

It looks like you have a 40th and an SS. Any regrets on spending that kind of money on a Shelby/Mustang? Would you take the KR over the 40th or the SS?

SVT

My GT500's are worth every penny I spent, so no regrets. Would I take the KR over my 40th or SS? No, but that's because I'm a sentimental person that is emotionally attached to my cars. I'm not saying the 40th or SS is better then the KR, I'm saying I wouldn't trade one of my babies for the KR.

I am currently working on my wife to allow me to get the KR, by working I mean begging and crying :cry: . Slow going but I think I will wear her down :hysterical: .

As others have said, never buy a car as an investment.

Out of all the GT500's, the KR will honestly be the only one that will really be worth anything in the future. The standard GT500 is a mass produced car, and not as collectible as many were led to believe 2 years ago. The KR is extremely limited.

The SS and the 40th's should do ok on future value, but nothing like the KR will. A limited factory car vs a limited factory retro-fit.

As far as short term goes, think of it this way... it took about 2 years before we started seeing a fair amount of MSRP deals on regular GT500s, and still today a few dealers are charging as much as $20k over (???) so the KR should NEVER see MSRP in its short run.

The KR along with all new Shelbys are not extremely limited. 1000 cars is not a limited run. If you want a limited Ford or Shelby, buy a 1999 Shelby Series 1 or a 1993 Cobra R or a 2000 Cobra R. These cars are truely limited and should have some future positive expectation. If your gonna get your KR at list, go for it and enjoy it, drive it like you stole it, but don't do it for the investment.

Thanks for the advice! KEEP IT COMING....I'M STILL TORN ON WHAT TO DO.

My thinking is my GT500 will be worth $20K in five years. I just don't believe they will retain their value. I also want to make some mods to the tune of around $10k.

That will be like taking a match to the money.....might as well buy stocks! Ha (I'm a broker by the way). I feel like my GT-H will retain some value and my hope was if I buy

The KR it would at least retain 80% of its MSRP.

I know everyone tells me to buy the car and enjoy it but as an accountant/stockbroker it hard for me to think in those terms only.

Thanks Again for your posts.

SVT

Cash is King.

My roommate over here in Iraq mulled the same decision for a few days over a black KR @ MSRP through Exchange New Car Sales (encs.com). He won the drawing to purchase a KR@MSRP earlier this year.

He ended up letting it go because of the current economy. An SGT can now be had for 10K under MSRP and there are still new 07 and 08 models available. New GT 500s are now available for less than MSRP.

I believe the new KR will be worth much more than it's purchase price but it won't be anytime soon. If you can keep it for 20 years come hell or high water, then it will probably be worth it. If you ever got into a bind and had to sell before then, you would probably lose. With the current economy it would not surprise me if there are unsold KRs sitting on the showroom floors a year from now.

Don't buy it as an investment unless you can afford to keep it several decades.

SVT

The answer sits in your garage. How much have your GT500 and GT-H appreciated since you bought them?

Guest markham51

Poor "investment."

There are tons of fast cool cars on the market and more come out every few months. If you are asking yourself the question....you should probably stick with what you have. Cars should be about passion....if you dont want to run down and GRAB it, don't.

I am going to cancel my KR order. Canada wants 100k plus 15pct tax and prep and its just way too overpriced for me.

Good luck with your decision.

As I am sure most would say .... if you can get a KR at MSRP and you want the car ... thats a great deal.

Yes ... prices are falling quickly do to the economy. Im finding most KR deals to be in the high 80's or low to mid 90's .... MSRP ... and u want the car and can afford it ... BUY IT !

Terlingua_119.jpgIf you can afford it buy it this is an unbelievable Shelby. I have a 40th that I love and will probably never get rid of. I bought the KR to collect thinking it would be similar to my 40th but limited in production. Boy was I wrong THIS CAR IS :censored: UNBELIVABLE!!!!!! Completely different in almost every way from a stock GT500. Picked up my KR almost two weeks ago and headed to Terlingua :happy feet: . After taking it easy for about the first 1000 miles for break in we drove it like we stole it. IT KEPT COMING BACK FOR MOOR!!!! Ride and handling is great for such a heavy, car more power, shifts better and it sounds like no other Shelby. This car mashes well :shift: . Terlingua was the place to really test this car it will probably never get driven like that again. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it and take care of it. Shelby Autos and Ford did an outstanding job, It earned the name King of the Road. As for value I think it will hold once everyone finds out what it is all about. If you think I’m overboard ask the people I let test drive it they where just as blown away……..

John K.

Terlingua_119.jpg

In regards to keeping the miles low: If you don't put many miles on it, then the Clutch Drag problem will not show it's ugly head for years to come and you will be out of warranty when it does show up. Just a thought.

I am still in the 6,000 mile range or so, so mine is just a ticking time bomb. Still no symptoms.

:banghead::banghead:

if this car would have been built on TIME you never ever have heard about a KR at 10,000 over let alone MSRP, they would have been gone by now, period!!!

all of the long dragged out delay put the hurt to this wonderful car, and it has not helped that all info from the MFR's about the delay was withheld too long

and with the economy in the shitter some of them will be around a while now

if this car would have been built on TIME you never ever have heard about a KR at 10,000 over let alone MSRP, they would have been gone by now, period!!!

So it hurt the dealers that collect the big ADM's :happy feet: and it has allowed some folks to buy the car at MSRP. :happy feet:

What's wrong with that ? :headscratch:

So it hurt the dealers that collect the big ADM's :happy feet: and it has allowed some folks to buy the car at MSRP. :happy feet:

What's wrong with that ? :headscratch:

NO brainer ( buy it ) if you have the means, a KR at MSRP is what they should be selling at anyway in my opinion, I have a 2008 GT500KR and I love it, no issues, no major complaints. I wish they would have put the S.S. braking system on it along with the 20" rims.

These cars will hold their value in my opinion.

which either way you go--good luck to you

i would stronly suggest bringing a paint thickness meter with you and have the dealer give you an "oasis" report on the shelby vehicle before you purchase it !!!!

mine was delivered to me with major damage, repairs and repainting. none of this was disclosed to me before i purchased this 100,000 wreck !!!!!!

sam

For 80+ K I would by this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...m245#ht_500wt_0

I can go play James Bond! I really would be hard pressed to justify paying that much for a Mustang that will never be worth even what I paid in my lifetime...IMHO...but what the #@!~ do I know!

Hey to each his own! If you loved the car and were going to drive it I would say go for it, but as an investment? :headscratch:

Thanks to everyone for you advice/opinions. After a long thoughtful weekend I've decided not to buy the KR. I'd love to have the car and maybe someday I'll take another shot at it but I just don't feel right buying the car right now. I'm a financial advisor and with the economy/markets in turmoil I just don't think I'm sending the right message to clients making a big ticket purchase like this. I honestly don't think I could enjoy the car while so many people are suffering with their finances. Between Congress, Big Business, and over indulgent Americans we've got quite a mess and I've got to be able to help my clients make sense of it all. I think its just the "right thing to do" by forgoing a pleasure when so much is going on right now.

Thanks again for your posts,

Stephen / SVT

Archived