TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripes problem at dealership

Chip, much respect to you but "I" wouldn't paint the hood and not the rest of the car. At one point my dealer offered to do that and after some thought decided against it until I could afford to paint the whole car.

Maybe it's just me?

Ive seen the hood & scoop (only) painted and it looked great.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

HELP

I went to pick up my Re striped car yesterday and the stripe on the hood was from .25 to 1.25 inches on the hood. Yikes

They called me and said that it is fixed now and they just took it off and re did it.

I thought it is a one time use. Is this true and what advice can you give me with this dealer?

john

HELP

I went to pick up my Re striped car yesterday and the stripe on the hood was from .25 to 1.25 inches on the hood. Yikes

They called me and said that it is fixed now and they just took it off and re did it.

I thought it is a one time use. Is this true and what advice can you give me with this dealer?

john

I didn't think they could re-use stripes once they were put on, but I could be wrong. I have the same issue with the spacing of my hood stripes, and they supposedly ordered another set of stripes for my hood. Maybe if they weren't on long it would be possible to remove them and reposition them, but I doubt that could be done without ruining them. I'd say, take a close look at the stripes and if it's not perfect, have them order another set of stripes.

I didn't think they could re-use stripes once they were put on, but I could be wrong. I have the same issue with the spacing of my hood stripes, and they supposedly ordered another set of stripes for my hood. Maybe if they weren't on long it would be possible to remove them and reposition them, but I doubt that could be done without ruining them. I'd say, take a close look at the stripes and if it's not perfect, have them order another set of stripes.

+100 I don't see how they could of removed and reinstalled without stretching the material...JMO..Craig

I have a set of hood stripes and a scoop waiting at the dealer. The current stripes have a couple of wrinkles in the two rear corners of the old riveted scoop. The shop manager has said that he has done stripes, but is not too confident. I'm considering having them just replace the scoop (which he thinks he can do well) and "smooth" out the wrinkles a little and leave it as that. They installed the old riveted scoop very well (hell the wrinkles didn't show up for 3 months so you can't blame them). If the new scoop is a little larger and they can smooth out the wrinkles a little, then it may be OK. That would be better then them screwin up the stripes which, otherwise, are perfect.

Don't know what to do. I am confident they can drill out the rivets and install the new scoop without screwing up the hood, which is a major big deal. But I don't think they can get the stripes on without bubbles. If they can smooth out the wrinkles a little on the existing stripes then I might be satisfied.

I have a set of hood stripes and a scoop waiting at the dealer. The current stripes have a couple of wrinkles in the two rear corners of the old riveted scoop. The shop manager has said that he has done stripes, but is not too confident. I'm considering having them just replace the scoop (which he thinks he can do well) and "smooth" out the wrinkles a little and leave it as that. They installed the old riveted scoop very well (hell the wrinkles didn't show up for 3 months so you can't blame them). If the new scoop is a little larger and they can smooth out the wrinkles a little, then it may be OK. That would be better then them screwin up the stripes which, otherwise, are perfect.

Don't know what to do. I am confident they can drill out the rivets and install the new scoop without screwing up the hood, which is a major big deal. But I don't think they can get the stripes on without bubbles. If they can smooth out the wrinkles a little on the existing stripes then I might be satisfied.

If the the stripes can be smoothed out or the new scoop covers it, based upon the BAD work I have seen, I would leave the stripes on and store the others for a rainy day.

HELP

john

You can't reuse the same stripes.

Unless they ordered new ones from SPP they just matched the color and put aftermarket stripes on. Remember, if they mess up the new set of stripes is on their dime! Official Shelby stripes are not cheap. A great way to tell is the washer nozzles. SPP stripes have the area around them cut out. This isn't something a typical shop will do. Instead they will pop the nozzles and go under them. MUCH easier, and looks better, but when you're doing 5000 cars that time adds up so they are cut out in Shelby stripes.

If they look good then fine! If they don't, or don't match, you can call Ford Racing and SP to verify they purchased a new set of stripes or not.

• 1 month later...

Here is the document from FRP that shows that are stripes need to be 1/32 off in either direction. After many nights of lost sleep , becuase my dealership was being jerks about replacing there job, becuase the stripes were anywere from 1/8 to 3/4 Yikes off. I finally talked to Jon from FRP and he sent me this DOC. and the dealer than said no problem and now is redoing the car at there expense. (alot of $$$$)

Just a short story. Before I got this doc the Service manager went out on her showroom floor and measured the gt500 and proceeded to tell me that there stripes were very inconsistent also. I stated that this is a Ford product and not a Shelby product, she did not understand that the GT's go to LV and the 500's stay in MI.

Well let's try this again and hope they get it right 1 inch and no more than 1/32. remember.

John

PS they fired there so called certified Shelby stripe guy and are letting me take it to the dealer of my choice (100 miles away) recommended by FRP and are cutting that dealer a check!

Oops File too big, if any one would like the file I can Email it, just PM me, otherwise here is the blurb in the DOC

Shelby_Varience.doc

Shelby_Varience.doc

Here is the document from FRP that shows that are stripes need to be 1/32 off in either direction. After many nights of lost sleep , becuase my dealership was being jerks about replacing there job, becuase the stripes were anywere from 1/8 to 3/4 Yikes off. I finally talked to Jon from FRP and he sent me this DOC. and the dealer than said no problem and now is redoing the car at there expense. (alot of $$$$)

Just a short story. Before I got this doc the Service manager went out on her showroom floor and measured the gt500 and proceeded to tell me that there stripes were very inconsistent also. I stated that this is a Ford product and not a Shelby product, she did not understand that the GT's go to LV and the 500's stay in MI.

Well let's try this again and hope they get it right 1 inch and no more than 1/32. remember.

John

PS they fired there so called certified Shelby stripe guy and are letting me take it to the dealer of my choice (100 miles away) recommended by FRP and are cutting that dealer a check!

Oops File too big, if any one would like the file I can Email it, just PM me, otherwise here is the blurb in the DOC

Sounds like my story to the "t". Been going through the same bs with my dealer since October. They finally ordered the hood stripes for me last week. Two days ago they called and said your stripes are in, come pick them up. They're not going to install them. Guess I have a summer project. :doh: PM sent.

post-20530-1232206575_thumb.jpg

post-20530-1232206575_thumb.jpg

Archived