TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripes problem at dealership

My dealer just called. They are ready to replace my stripes and hood scoop. I tried to see if they would let me take it to a shop of my chosing but they will not. They say they have 90 days to complete the work and return the old warranty parts to Shelby or they have to pay. They also will not paint them on, even on my dime. I'm pretty worried as I know they have not done stripes before. In fact, I'm starting to think about just dropping my warranty claim on the stripes and hood scoop and live with the wrinkles for a while, and then take it to Tampa Bay Shelby next year and have him paint them. I'm really nervous about this.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer just called. They are ready to replace my stripes and hood scoop. I tried to see if they would let me take it to a shop of my chosing but they will not. They say they have 90 days to complete the work and return the old warranty parts to Shelby or they have to pay. They also will not paint them on, even on my dime. I'm pretty worried as I know they have not done stripes before. In fact, I'm starting to think about just dropping my warranty claim on the stripes and hood scoop and live with the wrinkles for a while, and then take it to Tampa Bay Shelby next year and have him paint them. I'm really nervous about this.

Good Luck. Hope your experience is less painful then mine and many others.

Thanks! I'm scared to death about it. Oh, the dealer also told me if I decide for the not to do it they will send the stripes, scoop and hood pin cables back to Shelby and I will not be able to file a claim on these items in the future. I think I'm going to call Ford Performance Monday and see if that is true. I have some thinking to do before the first of the month when they want me in.

Thanks! I'm scared to death about it. Oh, the dealer also told me if I decide for the not to do it they will send the stripes, scoop and hood pin cables back to Shelby and I will not be able to file a claim on these items in the future. I think I'm going to call Ford Performance Monday and see if that is true. I have some thinking to do before the first of the month when they want me in.

I would say go ahead and let them do it while the car is still under warranty. If they screw it up, then they do it again till they get it right. I'm waiting for the call to bring my car back for a second try on my hood stripes. After my warranty runs out, I'll probably get them painted on if I'm still not satisfied.

I have heard great things about Steve at Tampa Bay Shelby....since the Miami Mod. shop is a no go maybe SAI could give Steve a price break for what I am hearing that the main things that scares many potential Mod. shop potentials is the price for becoming a authorized shop. Since Steve is good to go on his customer service maybe he should be in line to get the go ahead to become a authorized Mod. shop. Just throwing it out there, with the economy so unstable I can see why not everyone is able to open one up.

Thanks Evan. I go back and forth. One minute I say let them do it, the next I say no way! I've got a little time as they are busy and want me to bring it in week after next. In the meantime I'll thing and make some calls (and emails).

Mac, I couldn't agree more. Steve is a great guy and has great customer service. They ought to waive any fees for him to be a mod shop!!

(:

Man I'm looking into buying a SGT or a GT500 and I'm kinda nervous about what might happened if I need to replace the stripes. Well does anyone know of a shop in or around Dallas that has a great rep?

Find a few local car clubs and see if they have a forum ask there, or ask here in the Regional posting area.

Man I'm looking into buying a SGT or a GT500 and I'm kinda nervous about what might happened if I need to replace the stripes. Well does anyone know of a shop in or around Dallas that has a great rep?

What about Quantum???

Maybe, maybe they are willing to refer, but in my experience shops that are good performance shops sub out stuff like this and then up-charge you for the privilege. But a good idea to check with them, you never know!

All I know is that if I had an authorized Mod Shop in my back yard (within 50 miles), I wouldn't hesitiate to have the work done there... Even if it costs me a few extra $$$ (and I don't have much extra, these days) to make sure it gets done right, the first time...

Which is why I am still waiting for the "no more kidding, we've finally got it right, ANY Ford Dealership in the COUNTRY" fix that can be done by any competent body shop...

Otherwise, I'll purchase one of the Chip Beck creations and have it done myself... NO WAY am I going thru the 4-5-6 visits to the dealership, with the hope that it comes back better than before... Maybe time for me to visit R&A Motorsports to see what it would cost to have things done by the professionals :lurk:

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

All I know is that if I had an authorized Mod Shop in my back yard (within 50 miles), I wouldn't hesitiate to have the work done there... Even if it costs me a few extra $$$ (and I don't have much extra, these days) to make sure it gets done right, the first time...

Which is why I am still waiting for the "no more kidding, we've finally got it right, ANY Ford Dealership in the COUNTRY" fix that can be done by any competent body shop...

Otherwise, I'll purchase one of the Chip Beck creations and have it done myself... NO WAY am I going thru the 4-5-6 visits to the dealership, with the hope that it comes back better than before... Maybe time for me to visit R&A Motorsports to see what it would cost to have things done by the professionals :lurk:

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

my understanding is that R and A is soon to be an approved ford job shop at least; so if you have frpp products put on, it will have the full warranty.......plus a lot of the shelby guys, as I guess you already know, are having some of their stuff put right by them......

I don't remember their posted shop rate, but I think it compares quite favorably with dealer rates. We'll talk more wed night, and Kyle will be there, who is pretty good friends with the owners.

I really want to paint mine on too.

Can anyone offer any insight as to cost, and whether or not Shelby supports it (morally and/or financially)???

Thanks,

Jer

I’m going to get an estimate on getting mine painted on later today. I have tried the warranty route and have yet to have the dealer contact me after several calls and visits to the dealership; it’s been 2 ½ months since they took the pictures of my hood and I seriously doubt that the fix would come out right or would last after reading some of the post I’ve seen so far. Mine is a 08 and my scoop seems fine but the stripes are wrinkled on all four corners of the scoop. I also just installed the GT500 spoiler and I would like to get it all done right at once. I’m tired of hassle of dealing with this mess; at least I could remove the rusty lanyards from the pins and tuck them under the hood. There are two SGT’s at the dealership, a 08 vista vert and a 07 black with silver stripes and both have the same stripe issues. The 08 vert is on the showroom floor and the 07 is on the lot and the stripes on the 07 are really bad. At this point I’m really not all that concerned about what Shelby thinks about painted stripes, I just want my car to look the way it should.

Jeff

I recently got rear ended and after all was fixed in the back, my stripe was not flush with the GT emblem in the back. It has an inch of clearance above the emblem but everything else is flush. Can anyone give some insight to this problem. Thanks. :banghead:

This is some crazy S**T. I just had my strips and hood scoop replaced about week ago. My dealership is got to be the best in the nation. They have the largest selection of GT500 and Shelby's in the state of Washington. Example. Brought my car in on Monday and got it back on Saturday....and they gave a me another Mustang to use while mine was getting taken care of. Mind you it was a 6 cyclender but I was happy.

Jim

This is some crazy S**T. I just had my strips and hood scoop replaced about week ago. My dealership is got to be the best in the nation. They have the largest selection of GT500 and Shelby's in the state of Washington. Example. Brought my car in on Monday and got it back on Saturday....and they gave a me another Mustang to use while mine was getting taken care of. Mind you it was a 6 cyclender but I was happy.

Jim

Jim which dealer? I am in WA state. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently got rear ended and after all was fixed in the back, my stripe was not flush with the GT emblem in the back. It has an inch of clearance above the emblem but everything else is flush. Can anyone give some insight to this problem. Thanks. :banghead:

Can you post a pic?

Sounds to me as if the shop DID NOT order the stripes from SPP but had them made and they are wrong. This is common when the actual Shelby stripes are $$$ and a body shop can get knock-offs made cheap and charge for the higher priced ones. Happens more often than I can tell you...happened to me!

I hate to do this, but Shelby has ruined me with this SGT strip issue. I have never been so dissapointed in such a minor issue that shouldn't even be an issue. After looking over the GT500 on a lot where I live, stripe issue the same as the SGT. No more Shelby, buying a GT and going to pump it up, install the shaker hood, and at least I won't be so *&^%$#@ pissed off every time I drive my car. Sick of it with no help from anyone on this issue. Shelby should have stepped up and found a resolution for this long ago. Such a shame these nice performance cars will mainly be known for thier poor quailty stripping in the future.

I hate to do this, but Shelby has ruined me with this SGT strip issue. I have never been so dissapointed in such a minor issue that shouldn't even be an issue. After looking over the GT500 on a lot where I live, stripe issue the same as the SGT. No more Shelby, buying a GT and going to pump it up, install the shaker hood, and at least I won't be so *&^%$#@ pissed off every time I drive my car. Sick of it with no help from anyone on this issue. Shelby should have stepped up and found a resolution for this long ago. Such a shame these nice performance cars will mainly be known for thier poor quailty stripping in the future.

Not sure I understand your post. The issues are with dealers NOT with SAI. The NEW stripes on the 08's, and what you get as part of a warranty repair, are fine other than when the scoop moved around. That too has been fixed so this should eliminate, knock on the scoop, any further issues. The stripes are replaced pretty quickly, I've been through the process twice, when the dealer follows the process. The GT500 is an entirely different stripe set, material, company, and done at Ford vs. SAI and I'm not sure what you saw and how it compares.

Issue? Get SAI to push the dealers or even find someone who is qualified to repair the strips and hoods. SAI should have been quicker to resolve the issue. If it was a Ford recall it would have been resolved. The stripping issue and hood scoop warp issue was known after the first 200 cars. The Nevada sun moves things along faily quickly. Why proceed with an inferior product? There are many manufacurers of vinyl products far superior than what was used for the Shelby GT/500's. Sorry to vent but read the previous postings. I don't see anyone to happy with SAI or Ford with this issue. SAI has had enough time to resolve it. I haven't seen any recall letter or warranty letter concerning the stripping and hood scoops. Have You? I beleive we all paid enough for our vehicles that it should have been taken care of more effeciently and timely. I don't have one complaint about performance, (with the exception of loose bolts, exhaust hangers, Happens, easily resolved.), but it really sucks to show your car off with peeling strips and a warped hood scoop, and explain, Oh it's just a minor issue, should be resolved soon...Not!! Anyway...flipping frustrated with this issue.

I hate to do this, but Shelby has ruined me with this SGT strip issue. I have never been so dissapointed in such a minor issue that shouldn't even be an issue. After looking over the GT500 on a lot where I live, stripe issue the same as the SGT. No more Shelby, buying a GT and going to pump it up, install the shaker hood, and at least I won't be so *&^%$#@ pissed off every time I drive my car. Sick of it with no help from anyone on this issue.

AZ Martin,

It would be a lot less expensive and a lot more satisfying to just fix your hood scoop and forget about all of the warranty hassles. I have seen members on this forum endure $5,000 worth of aggravation chasing multiple warranty fixes for this admittedly sticky wicket. Without the scoop issue bugging you, the SGT is a hell of a car. Your car has a mix of painted and tape stripes now (the scoop is painted). Replace your scoop, paint the stripes on your scoop AND hood, and put the issue behind you. JMHO

Chip

post-12804-1227072665_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1227072675_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1227072675_thumb.jpg

Guest hfrosso

I have the same issue with the hood scoop,it's messing the stripes on all four corners, and the stripes on the rear bumber it's all but strait.

I've been trying to live with it. Since I have contacted my dealer and the're avoiding me.Going to tray another dealer ,if that dont work then going to fix on my on and be done with it.

And I absolutely agree with you the SGT is a hell of a car!!

And that hood scoop look's great!!!

Issue? Get SAI to push the dealers or even find someone who is qualified to repair the strips and hoods. SAI should have been quicker to resolve the issue. If it was a Ford recall it would have been resolved. The stripping issue and hood scoop warp issue was known after the first 200 cars. The Nevada sun moves things along faily quickly. Why proceed with an inferior product? There are many manufacurers of vinyl products far superior than what was used for the Shelby GT/500's. Sorry to vent but read the previous postings. I don't see anyone to happy with SAI or Ford with this issue. SAI has had enough time to resolve it. I haven't seen any recall letter or warranty letter concerning the stripping and hood scoops. Have You? I beleive we all paid enough for our vehicles that it should have been taken care of more effeciently and timely. I don't have one complaint about performance, (with the exception of loose bolts, exhaust hangers, Happens, easily resolved.), but it really sucks to show your car off with peeling strips and a warped hood scoop, and explain, Oh it's just a minor issue, should be resolved soon...Not!! Anyway...flipping frustrated with this issue.

I agree with you I have had my 07 since Feb 07 and have decided to order Chip Beck scoop and get my stripes painted on, all I have read on this car is all the quality check s these cars go through well with mine the QA people must have been sleeping and it sems every car I have looked at has same problem. I like you have fixed ALL problems after one trip to Ford dealer I decided I can repair most everything ( 10 of 24 years in Army as tank mechanic. This like Chip says is one fine auto BUT all the problems with new car?

Believe me I understand your frustration, it comes through loud and clear! I am not happy about the situation but after 2 stripe sets and 4 scoops I think I am done unless the new scoop proves later to have issues too. I can only suggest you get your car in for a claim and find a body shop you trust to do the work. I did that and had them direct bill the dealer for the warranty labor allowance. Now having said that the allowance for stripes and scoop is only $500 and I ended up paying $200 out of pocket additional but for me it was worth it to get it done once and for all.

If you choose to go this route to save $$$ remove the stripes yourself if you feel confident enough to do it that will save you a few hours of labor right there!

My car is safe in the garage and I hope I am done with these issues once and for all...good luck!

AZ Martin,

It would be a lot less expensive and a lot more satisfying to just fix your hood scoop and forget about all of the warranty hassles. I have seen members on this forum endure $5,000 worth of aggravation chasing multiple warranty fixes for this admittedly sticky wicket. Without the scoop issue bugging you, the SGT is a hell of a car. Your car has a mix of painted and tape stripes now (the scoop is painted). Replace your scoop, paint the stripes on your scoop AND hood, and put the issue behind you. JMHO

Chip

Chip, much respect to you but "I" wouldn't paint the hood and not the rest of the car. At one point my dealer offered to do that and after some thought decided against it until I could afford to paint the whole car.

Maybe it's just me?

Chip, much respect to you but "I" wouldn't paint the hood and not the rest of the car. At one point my dealer offered to do that and after some thought decided against it until I could afford to paint the whole car.

Maybe it's just me?

Jeff,

No it's certainly not just you. I had the exact same reservation. A mix of painted and vinyl stripes?!? It seemed odd until I realized I already had a mix of painted and vinyl stripes and so do you right now. Our cars were built with a mix of painted and vinyl stripes. All of our hood scoops have the stripes painted on. And right next to your painted stripes you have vinyl stripes on your hood. There are some applications where vinyl stripes are a better choice. And some applications where vinyl stripes are asking for trouble. The front bumpers of our cars suffer very little heat but a lot of high speed impacts from stones and insects. Vinyl stripes are probably a better choice here. The hood of your car suffers from a great deal of heat, especially after engine shutdown, but very few high speed impacts. The engine heat of your car after shutdown softens the stripe adhesive and the stripes themselves making them very susceptible to damage from an item clamped to them from above. Riveting a rigid hood scoop to an aluminum hood with a soft vinyl, adhesive backed stripe, sandwiched in between those two structures, then cooking the entire assembly with radiated engine heat after every shut down and expecting that vinyl stripe to last for years without cosmetic damage, is asking a lot.

I considered painting the stripes on my entire car and I decided against it. Other than my hood and scoop my stripes look perfect. My painted stripes color and metallic content matches my vinyl stripes perfectly. The most expensive Ford performance car ever built is also constructed using a mix of painted and vinyl stripes. The Ford GT supercar has painted stripes over the top of the car and vinyl stripes down both sides of the car.

My Shelby GT looks very stock and I intend to keep it that way. I fixed what needed to be fixed while changing as little of my original car as possible. I certainly understand a member's desire to have them all painted or all vinyl however. I went back and forth on that item myself. Cheers.

Chip

AZ Martin,

Chip

Chip, I made a copy of your pic and am going to take it with me to the Ford Dealer to show them how the spacing on the stripes are supposed to look like. Maybe this time they'll get it right. :cry:

Chip, I made a copy of your pic and am going to take it with me to the Ford Dealer to show them how the spacing on the stripes are supposed to look like. Maybe this time they'll get it right. :cry:

Yep, this is the BIGGEST issue. Stripes are supposed to be 1" ALL THE WAY DOWN. I had mine redone twice because they went from 1" to 1 1/4" and then back to 1". Don't accept less!

Yep, this is the BIGGEST issue. Stripes are supposed to be 1" ALL THE WAY DOWN. I had mine redone twice because they went from 1" to 1 1/4" and then back to 1". Don't accept less!

Yeah, mine start at 1 1/4" by the scoop and go down to 7/8" by the grille. Unacceptable. :nonono:

Archived