TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI offered S/c's for 07 SGT

I was playing with a black with vapor stripes GT500 the other day. I wasn't having any trouble hanging with him.........So I know at least one guy who thinks our SGTs are as nice as the GT500. Don

Gentlemen,

Most GT500 owners have never driven a Shelby GT. Most Shelby GT owners have probably never driven a GT500. And I would venture to say that only a handful of GT500 owners have driven a Shelby GT/SC. I have driven 6000 miles in a normally aspirated Shelby GT, over 1000 miles in my now Whipple supercharged Shelby GT, and not quite 1000 miles in my stock 2009 GT500. I love both cars and spent the money to buy both cars so I think I can be pretty objective here. SGT/SC or GT500? It's not even close. My SGT/SC significantly outperforms my GT500 in every area except maximum horsepower potential. Handling...... it's no contest here. When I get out of my Shelby GT and get into my GT500 it feels like I'm driving a Crown Victoria. Braking.......the stock brakes on my Shelby GT are more confidence inspiring than the big Brembos on the GT500 as they don't need to contend with the huge nosedive and soft suspension of the 500. I'm sure the Brembos would fade less under hard usage. Acceleration..... the SGT/SC pulls harder, especially at low RPMs. Throttle response is also much quicker on my SGT/SC. Feel and feedback..... again, no contest. The SGT/SC hands down. The stock shifter in the GT500 feels vague and rubbery, the shifter on the Shelby GT is positive and precise. Steering inputs yield immediate response on my SGT, the same input on my GT500 takes awhile for the message to get through the soft suspension to the tires. Appearance..... this is purely subjective but to me, the SGT is the better looking car.

Reading all of this one might think that I don't like the GT500 and that's not the case. I like it a lot and it's bulletproof forged internals will allow some future massive horsepower increases. I just don't like it quite as much as I like the Shelby GT. If I could only keep one, the GT500 would go. Having both cars I will not be spending time modifying my Shelby GT to make it more like a GT500. I will be spending time modifying my GT500 to make it feel and drive more like a Shelby GT.

A classic parallel to my experience here would be that of Shelby American when they introduced the 427 Cobra. That car never enjoyed the success on the race track that the 289 comp cars did. The bigger engine appeared to screw up the balance and handling of the little Cobra and even the finest drivers like Ken Miles had a difficult time keeping them on the track. In the same way, the lightweight aluminum block 4.6L V-8 most definitely makes the Mustang a better balanced and better handling car. Even with considerable suspension modifications I don't see my GT500 ever handling as well as my SGT.

Finally, a real intangible. I have owned a number of supercars including my current 650 HP Ford GT. Genuine supercars have a feel all their own. My Whipple equipped Shelby GT feels, responds, and accelerates like a supercar. My GT500 does not.

Shelby enthusiasts who have not driven the Shelby GT are missing a bet. Right now there are still brand-new Shelby GTs languishing on dealership lots at huge discounts. The six original Cobra Daytona Coupe's sat outside at Shelby American for a year and a half before he could finally offload them at a huge discount for $7,000 apiece. A whole lot of us missed a bet on those as well 'eh!

Chip

post-12804-1223449153_thumb.jpg

Roger - I have engaged Bud about the SC and plan on upgrading after the first of the year. That will complete my dream car, but I am sure that something else I will want to do once that is done.

So my wish list is:

1) SC (paxton or KB don't know yet. Leaning toward a KB but am waiting the results on the testing.)

2) gauges

3) brake ducts

4) driving lights

5) big brakes

Hey maybe Sue and I will meet you at the BB this year, if your going :hysterical: . She really wants to go.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Remember, if you go the KB route, you cannot get the driving lights. Glad to hear you are on board with the S/C.

Jim

Iam running stage2 KB and they say that Iam getting 511rwhp, 10psi with a automatic, It doesnt feel like it, but it feels very strong and pulls very hard, I think it is in the tune. One thing I noticed, Do not power brake your car over 2g rpm

cause bad things can/will happen. Rick

What happened?

Gentlemen,

Most GT500 owners have never driven a Shelby GT. Most Shelby GT owners have probably never driven a GT500. And I would venture to say that only a handful of GT500 owners have driven a Shelby GT/SC. I have driven 6000 miles in a normally aspirated Shelby GT, over 1000 miles in my now Whipple supercharged Shelby GT, and not quite 1000 miles in my stock 2009 GT500. I love both cars and spent the money to buy both cars so I think I can be pretty objective here. SGT/SC or GT500? It's not even close. My SGT/SC significantly outperforms my GT500 in every area except maximum horsepower potential. Handling...... it's no contest here. When I get out of my Shelby GT and get into my GT500 it feels like I'm driving a Crown Victoria. Braking.......the stock brakes on my Shelby GT are more confidence inspiring than the big Brembos on the GT500 as they don't need to contend with the huge nosedive and soft suspension of the 500. I'm sure the Brembos would fade less under hard usage. Acceleration..... the SGT/SC pulls harder, especially at low RPMs. Throttle response is also much quicker on my SGT/SC. Feel and feedback..... again, no contest. The SGT/SC hands down. The stock shifter in the GT500 feels vague and rubbery, the shifter on the Shelby GT is positive and precise. Steering inputs yield immediate response on my SGT, the same input on my GT500 takes awhile for the message to get through the soft suspension to the tires. Appearance..... this is purely subjective but to me, the SGT is the better looking car.

Reading all of this one might think that I don't like the GT500 and that's not the case. I like it a lot and it's bulletproof forged internals will allow some future massive horsepower increases. I just don't like it quite as much as I like the Shelby GT. If I could only keep one, the GT500 would go. Having both cars I will not be spending time modifying my Shelby GT to make it more like a GT500. I will be spending time modifying my GT500 to make it feel and drive more like a Shelby GT.

A classic parallel to my experience here is the experience of Shelby American when they introduced the 427 Cobra. That car never enjoyed the success on the race track that the 289 comp cars did. The bigger engine appeared to screw up the balance and handling of the little Cobra and even the finest drivers like Ken Miles had a difficult time keeping them on the track. In the same way, the lightweight aluminum block 4.6L V-8 most definitely makes the Mustang a better balanced and better handling car. Even with considerable suspension modifications I don't see my GT500 ever handling as well as my SGT.

Finally, a real intangible. I have owned a number of supercars including my current 650 HP Ford GT. Genuine supercars have a feel all their own. My Whipple equipped Shelby GT feels, responds, and accelerates like a supercar. My GT500 does not.

Shelby enthusiasts who have not driven the Shelby GT are missing a bet. Right now there are still brand-new Shelby GTs languishing on dealership lots at huge discounts. The six original Cobra Daytona Coupe's sat outside at Shelby American for a year and a half before he could finally offload them at a huge discount for $7,000 apiece. A whole lot of us missed a bet on those as well 'eh!

Chip

Chip,

As usual you have a great post. With a stable of cars like yours you are one of the few who would be able to go out and give us a seat of the pants answer that we all would have to respect and believe. Nice GT500 by the way.

Don

Archived