TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A SuperSnake with GT500 stripes

skiph

Rats! Should have said GT500 stripes in the topic. My bad and no way to edit it!!! :censored:

Well, I've been down this road before. I have a GT500 w/the red appearance package, would love to SS it, but a SS only comes with a black stripe, and black on black might be what the man himself has, but it's not for me.

So, no way no how to get SS stripes in red. I found a way to get MOST of the center stripes in red. But not all and none of the side stripes. However, I do believe I have found a way to get my car SS'd, registered as such, have none of the existing GT500 striping removed, and have GT500 stripes made for the SS hood (the only body panel I have been told would be new, and thus need some kind of stripes, assuming I wanted them and I do). All other badging, the works would be SS

So, for the purists out there, this might sound like an abomination. I understand. But, were it not for the existence of black w/red stripes I would have never bought my GT500 (goes back to what i had when I was growing up in my teens and early twenties).

OK. Opening this idea up to the SS owners. Feel free to share your thoughts. Do be gentle as I LOVE THIS CAR!!! and I'm just trying to solve this need to SS my car and still have it be "my car". Oh, and painting the stripes on is out of the question. Yea, I know. But goes back to a from the factory look and what I had when I was younger.

...the guy pulls up next to me...sees the GT500 on the stripe....may or may not notice the SS badge above it...but when he sees the hood and I disappear like I just engaged warp speed, there would be no doubt....

Rats! Should have said GT500 stripes in the topic. My bad and no way to edit it!!! :censored:

Well, I've been down this road before. I have a GT500 w/the red appearance package, would love to SS it, but a SS only comes with a black stripe, and black on black might be what the man himself has, but it's not for me.

So, no way no how to get SS stripes in red. I found a way to get MOST of the center stripes in red. But not all and none of the side stripes. However, I do believe I have found a way to get my car SS'd, registered as such, have none of the existing GT500 striping removed, and have GT500 stripes made for the SS hood (the only body panel I have been told would be new, and thus need some kind of stripes, assuming I wanted them and I do). All other badging, the works would be SS

So, for the purists out there, this might sound like an abomination. I understand. But, were it not for the existence of black w/red stripes I would have never bought my GT500 (goes back to what i had when I was growing up in my teens and early twenties).

OK. Opening this idea up to the SS owners. Feel free to share your thoughts. Do be gentle as I LOVE THIS CAR!!! and I'm just trying to solve this need to SS my car and still have it be "my car". Oh, and painting the stripes on is out of the question. Yea, I know. But goes back to a from the factory look and what I had when I was younger.

...the guy pulls up next to me...sees the GT500 on the stripe....may or may not notice the SS badge above it...but when he sees the hood and I disappear like I just engaged warp speed, there would be no doubt....

I have a white with the red package, and I too would SS if I could have RED stripes!

Have the SS package done and change the stripe color when you get her back. It's your car.

SAI put a package together choosing a stripe color that looks great on all GT500 colors.

I think SAI did right by the SS with the flat black stripes only.

Just my.02

I have a 08 Black vert, am I on the waiting list for the SS. Been waiting for over a year now, I should be getting the SS call from SAI real soon.

I originally considered the red app pkg but opted for the stripe delete, triple black. I got the Shelby GT500 history book from SAI back a few months ago, there is a pic of a black cpe SS with SILVER stripes! Must have been the original prototype. Looks so sweet. Black/Silver ... go Raiders??? NOT, however great color combo for a car.

If it were me, get on the SS waiting list, it will be over a year to you get called anyway, and I am certain, someone-some company will be producing a SS red strip kit.

I personally just like the black "STEALTH" look.

Just do it. It is only money. Just make sure you don't pull up next to the the following new age Muscle:

GT-R 480HP = 0-60 = 3.3, 0-100 = 8.0 seconds. Quarter-mile = 11.6 seconds at 120.9 mph

20 x 10.5 - however the GT-R is AWD ... so tire spinning = not a problem.

ZR-1 638HP = 0-60 = 3.0, 0-100 = 7.0 - Quarter-mile = 11.3 seconds at 131 mph.

12-inch WIDE rear wheels.

08 Viper 600HP = 0-60 = 3.7, Quarter-mile = 11.8 at 125.3 mph.

13-inch WIDE rear wheels.

Z06 505HP 0-60 = 4.1, 0-100 = 7.9 seconds. Quarter-mile = 12.0 at 121.8 mph.

12-inch WIDE rear wheels.

WOW! They all have wide rear wheel/tires.

Everyone likes a good burn-out right ???? unless one of the pre-mentioned pulls up next to you at a light.

what does SS and KR stand for?

Fortunately the 2009 GT-R's are really/truly a 'LIMITED PRODUCTION' = 2500 per year. and 2000 for the ZR-1.

Sorry, its late, I have not eaten dinner. My blood sugar must be way too low and lately I have had no SuperCharger adrenaline flowing. :finger:

10-2-08 - FYI - Today's high = 101 degrees here in Phoenix-Tempe, AZ. Probably no different in Vegas either.

I really haven't driven the GT500 all summer, its too fricken HOT! Did I mention my car is BLACK.

Is it OK to put RED lipstick on a PIG? Obama was born in Kenya??

Good night.

I love my GT500.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to correct the typo for you.

Just a thought. Have you thought about seeing if you could have some one install red SS stripes on after you get it back from SAI. I do understand that your trying to keep the original factory look but just throwing it out there.

However, I do think that it still will look good if you keep the red stock GT500 stripes on after the SS pkg is installed. Black on Black does look good and stealthy but the red jut makes it Pop!

In the end your the one :spend: the money and it is what you like.

When it's done i would love to take a gander! :shades:

Have the SS package done and change the stripe color when you get her back. It's your car.

SAI put a package together choosing a stripe color that looks great on all GT500 colors.

I think SAI did right by the SS with the flat black stripes only.

Just my.02

It woudl not be the same, it would be a moded SS. I paid extra for the red stripes because I like them. SAI is keeping teh red cobras on this package to acknowledge that it was a RED package, why not the stripes?

It woudl not be the same, it would be a moded SS. I paid extra for the red stripes because I like them. SAI is keeping teh red cobras on this package to acknowledge that it was a RED package, why not the stripes?

I agree, it wouldn't be the same but SAI made the choices ( flat black only ) that would work the best for all GT500's. Now, if I had your car I would do the SS and not modify the stripes. Having the red package cobras sets her apart plenty. Justs my .02

Best of luck with your decision.

check out ebay, you'll find red SS stripes

I did and found that MOST of the center stripes available in red but not all. Those small pieces for the front and back bumper, cowling, etc. no dice. And none for the sides. I know the front fenders are different then the GT500 with SS name instead of GT500, but not sure about the rest of the sides. So thought what the heck, leave all my stripes ALONE and just make stripes for the hood out of the same material from the same manufacturer. Seems possible but have not gotten a price on that yet.

Yeah... sorry Shelby, but you blew a few SS packages because of this. I had wanted to SS my car until I found out about the striping. I bought my car BECAUSE of the color combination, and see no sense in making a customer change his scheme without a choice.

I would have done it, but now I'll just mod my car up to SS levels (for less money) and keep my color scheme. Sure I could SS it and re-do the stripes, but that kills the collectibility of the package, so why overspend on the SS package when this would devalue it.

I really tried to avoid this thread (as I'm sure some of you know why) and since I was the first member to bring this same issue up when it was first announced, I thought it might be a good time to post my thoughts again about this....

Yes, I bought & ordered my car & color combo the way I had always wanted it.

Yes, I agree that we should have been given a choice, but it is what it is.

Do I still want my car Super Snaked? Maybe

If I do have my car Super Snaked, I'm going with the FRPP blower system & then have EVO tune it up for even more power with better reliability (I'll just save the SAI Tune incase of any future issues or if I want to restore it back to the 605hp rating)

Do I think changing the stripe color after SAI gets done with it hurts the value..... NO!; I'm sure if you ever wanted to ever restore it back to it's original Flat Black stripes SAI would sell them to you with proper documentation & if they don't, I'm sure someone else will be more then happy to make them up for you. If & when I do have my car Super Snaked, I'm also going to have an aftermarket company make me some Vista Blue Super Snake pattern stripes & put them on.

Don't let the color of the stripes prevent you from buying a great limited package (time & quanities) that will only enhance your cars appearence, but add performance, value & Bigger smiles from you driving it & from others that see it.

I really tried to avoid this thread (as I'm sure some of you know why) and since I was the first member to bring this same issue up when it was first announced, I thought it might be a good time to post my thoughts again about this....

Yes, I bought & ordered my car & color combo the why I had always wanted it.

If I do have my car Super Snaked, I'm going with the FRPP blower system & then have EVO tune it up for even more power with better reliability (I'll just save the SAI Tune incase of any future issues or if I want to restore it back to the 605hp rating)

Do I think changing the stripe color after SAI gets done with it hurts the value..... NO!; I'm sure if you ever wanted to ever restore it back to it's original Flat Black stripes SAI would sell them to you with proper documentation & if they don't, I'm sure someone else will be more then happy to make them up for you. If & when I do have my car Super Snaked, I'm also going to have an aftermarket company make me some Vista Blue Super Snake pattern stripes & put them on.

Don't let the color of the stripes prevent you from buying a great limited package (time & quanities) that will only enhance your cars appearence, but add performance, value & Bigger smiles from you driving it & from others that see it.

You make a very good point. If I cannot get the KR, perhaps SS will be a good choice.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to correct the typo for you.

Mind? Not at all. Thanks! Very much! I should have thought of asking a moderator is they could change it.

Yes, I bought & ordered my car & color combo the why I had always wanted it.

Great post Coldy. I'm giving the silver stripes on my 40th until end of the year to see if they "take". If not, I will be having them changed back to vista blue.

Mind? Not at all. Thanks! Very much! I should have thought of asking a moderator is they could change it.

You are very much welcome.

I too have the red stripe package and have been thinking, not too successfully on what to do about the red. I'm not all that impressed with the black stripe/white car, but I am thinking that the red badging will really show off, so I have plans to at least paint the inserts on the new badges red and see how the car looks with black stripes.

Archived