TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octoberfest Mini Gathering

Orf

So much to relate.

I'm driving back to Washington NC after we made bail.

After the second causeway bridge - and right before the Great Dismal Swamp - I get stuck behind a Chevy Lumina doing about 60. So I wait until the right moment to pass (2 lane road). I've got AC/DC in the Shaker and after having just driven Orf's Saturn V, I'm ready to roll.

So - I drop down into 4th and overtake the civilians (who are probably watching a Disney DVD).

I'm in the left lane running about 90 - and then turn on my SEQUENTIAL tail lights to move back over.

Naturally - the first cop I've seen ALL DAY proceeds to approach me.

(shit)

He must have been horney, cause he just kept on keepin' on.

I've got to remember to ask Orf for the info on his Stealth Radar/Laser deal!

Then - I'm a half-hour from home - on a two lane (NC 32). A Dodge Ram pickup closes in quickly. He rides my ass for 20 minutes - weaving now and then. It's a club cab deal - and I can see orange hunter caps moving about.

He's making me nervous - riding so close.

So - I downshift to 4th - and slam it.

End of story!

Man - I loved hearing Orf's Corsa's.!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, you guys, thanks so much for all the posts/pix -- wish I could have been there with y'all!

Can't wait to see some more pix/vids -- thanks, guys!

Envious in NY :cry: ;-)

ps - 4" -- huh?! :shrug: damn, it was cold out there :hysterical: Ruf, wind resistance isn't THAT important :hysterical2:

:shift:

Hey, you guys, thanks so much for all the posts/pix -- wish I could have been there with y'all!

Can't wait to see some more pix/vids -- thanks, guys!

Envious in NY :cry: ;-)

ps - 4" -- huh?! :shrug: damn, it was cold out there :hysterical: Ruf, wind resistance isn't THAT important :hysterical2:

:shift:

Love the photo of the Gt500 within a Gt500 reflection (Way cool)

Ruf what's your thoughts after driving a Shelby vs. the Rufstang?

(oh yeah, glad Mastermech1 kept you from jumping & killing yourself) :hysterical:

Yeah - they tried to throw me into the briar patch. Nice, huh? :finger:

I really couldn't tell much difference between the Rufstang and Orf's Nitro Funny Car.... :baby:

My car is stout - but that thing is a beast. Very easy to get in trouble, no doubt. And - again - very good form on Orf's part for insisting I drive it. I think he had as much fun watching me drive as he does when he drives! :rockon:

I'll have some of my pics scanned and posted later today.

Yeah - they tried to throw me into the briar patch. Nice, huh? :finger:

I really couldn't tell much difference between the Rufstang and Orf's Nitro Funny Car.... :baby:

My car is stout - but that thing is a beast. Very easy to get in trouble, no doubt. And - again - very good form on Orf's part for insisting I drive it. I think he had as much fun watching me drive as he does when he drives! :rockon:

I'll have some of my pics scanned and posted later today.

Cool!

Ruf, so the GT500 is a real beast, huh? Wonder who'll be first in here to visit Evolution Performance ;-)

Oh, how badly I want to drive one :cry: ;-)

Yep. I'm surprised they didn't put on some stiffer springs/shocks, though. That would be one of the first things I'd look into. I didn't toss his car through any turns - but for my taste - I'd like it firmer. But it just pulls and pulls and pulls. What a drug. And with the top down - you can really hear the Corsas. What music!

Lets see if I can attach a few pics. More coming next weekend when I use up the current roll.

Got a nice shot of Bill & Donia - one of John by the Rufstang -

Enjoy!

edit: and one from a car show 2 weeks ago - with my buddy's 350Z. He says he'd like to race a Shelby!

post-4913-1161542212_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542242_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542264_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542308_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542336_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542369_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542394_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542416_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542439_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542212_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542242_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542264_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542308_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542336_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542369_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542394_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542416_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1161542439_thumb.jpg

Thanks, John. I can't wait to get the rest of the pics developed. I'm taking the GT to a car show this Sat and will use up the rest of the film.

I wish we had more time and locations to shoot more. I'd like to try some at night - in an industrial setting - and do some tricks with lighting and b/w film. (and some smoke!)

No one's yet brought up how Orf tried his best to blow off my toupe with his Corsa's! :fan:

edit - what we needed was a '60's Shelby for the reflection pic!! Remember that if you go to a car show or can find one.

Thanks, John. I can't wait to get the rest of the pics developed. I'm taking the GT to a car show this Sat and will use up the rest of the film.

I wish we had more time and locations to shoot more. I'd like to try some at night - in an industrial setting - and do some tricks with lighting and b/w film. (and some smoke!)

No one's yet brought up how Orf tried his best to blow off my toupe with his Corsa's! :fan:

edit - what we needed was a '60's Shelby for the reflection pic!! Remember that if you go to a car show or can find one.

Great idea w/ the old GT 500. Theres a white w/ blue stripes that I see from time to time locally. I'm going to set that up. Sorry about the toupe. We were going to keep it to ourselves to keep you humiliation level down. Now that its out maybe someone on this forum can recommend some industrial adhesive to prevent it from happening again. :shrug:

I'll have to dig up my old friend Warren in Astoria. He's got my old '68 but I haven't talked to him in, well, decades now. At least from the back it's a Shelby ;-)

Hey, Bryan, those pix are great! That engine cover on the Rufstang could almost look like a square Roushcharger if you look quickly ;)

She looks really sharp -- the chrome surrounds on the taillights look great!

-Dan

Thanks, Dan.

Your opinion means a lot to me.

I'm gonna do whatever it takes to get you a ride/drive in a Shelby - even if I have to steal one!

I want to hear your opinion on how it feels.

Oh, God! ...just the thought make me nuts! I figure your RUFstang with present goodies is about as fast as my old '01 Cobra, so I have a similar seat-of-the-pants calibration to compare to. I suspect the GT500 is a 'stang that once you drive it you HAVE TO own it.

There's a lawyer dude in town who owns a big-block Shelby Cobra (514crate -- about 550HP). He stopped by a local repair shop (a friend owns) and I kidded him "where are my keys?" so he tossed 'em to me saying "but the tickets are yours and I won't defend you!" I WAS tempted!!! I suspect he's one of the 4 GT500s sold locally, but my buddy who was the manager at Ford transferred to another dealer -- now I fly in the dark on who's got what around here ;-)

Dan - get me this guy's name with the big engine Cobra - and his phone number! I'll make him an offer he won't refuse.

You have to drive it.

If I had any means to buy one - I would.

Thanks, Dave - by the way, it took about a month for your check to clear! What nonsense!

Thanks, Dan.

Your opinion means a lot to me.

I'm gonna do whatever it takes to get you a ride/drive in a Shelby - even if I have to steal one!

I want to hear your opinion on how it feels.

I'll give him a ride in mine maybe even let him drive but I have to get it first. ETA is Nov14.

I'm hoping to have it by thanksgiving !

Dan ,how far from Stamford CT do you live ?

Dan - get me this guy's name with the big engine Cobra - and his phone number! I'll make him an offer he won't refuse.

You have to drive it.

If I had any means to buy one - I would.

Thanks, Dave - by the way, it took about a month for your check to clear! What nonsense!

Dunno -- he was just there when I was. When I get back from NV (Nov 7th) I can try to find out through my buddy -- he should know. I've heard he also has several other very cool cars.

I'll give him a ride in mine maybe even let him drive but I have to get it first. ETA is Nov14.

I'm hoping to have it by thanksgiving !

Dan ,how far from Stamford CT do you live ?

OMG!!! Stamford! That would be so cool! I'm only about 2 hours away -- would love to hook up with you, svtbird.

Hope your delivery keeps on schedule. Heading off to NV (family + SEMA + NHRA-Vegas finals), but I'll have net-access to keep in touch. Back Nov. 7).

I can't offer you much in trade ;-) but I have a close friend in NYC (cherry '01 Cobra) who'd love to just see your ride too when it's in. We've been friends for over 40 years.

This is very cool, men.

Members reaching out to help other members.

I lived in Stamford as a kid for a while (10 years old). We had a place in..Shippan? Down by the Sound. (a rental)

SVTBIRD - You've got my respect. Have you ever eaten at Manero's Steak House in Westport? (if it's still there!) Or - the Arrow Restaurant in Westport?

Hey, Dan - after you ride/drive - you're going to sell your soul to the Devil for one! (vis a vie Robert Johnson? ..."I'm going to Tishaminga - I heard there's a man there that pays $10 if you sing into a can...")

Very cool, indeed.

This site Rocks. :rockon:

I just posted this in Articles & News:

http://www.roushperf.com/

OMG!!! Stamford! That would be so cool! I'm only about 2 hours away -- would love to hook up with you, svtbird.

Hope your delivery keeps on schedule. Heading off to NV (family + SEMA + NHRA-Vegas finals), but I'll have net-access to keep in touch. Back Nov. 7).

I can't offer you much in trade ;-) but I have a close friend in NYC (cherry '01 Cobra) who'd love to just see your ride too when it's in. We've been friends for over 40 years.

Dan,

It will be fun to show you guys the car and let you take it for a spin! :play:

As soon as I get it I will post it here so everyone will know.

By the way will you be taking the "Long Island Ferry" to get here? :hysterical2:

SVTBIRD - You've got my respect. Have you ever eaten at Manero's Steak House in Westport? (if it's still there!) Or - the Arrow Restaurant in Westport?

Ruf, both are gone , Manero's was my favorite restaurant. There is a Mortons Steak house in Stamford, too much food though, can't eat it all.

George.........

Archived