TEAM SHELBY FORUM

my rear is chirping

i'm wondering what is making chirping sound when the rear end goes over a quick bump.

is it the shocks?

anyone else had this problem? seems to be more noticable over time.

I recall some SGT owners reporting similar symptoms traceable to a misaligned muffler hanger causing a rub/squeak over bumps. Not sure which side but I vaguely recall driver's.

Dan

i'm wondering what is making chirping sound when the rear end goes over a quick bump.

is it the shocks?

anyone else had this problem? seems to be more noticable over time.

I had BOTH a muffler hanger hitting the frame on the Driver's Side and a leaking/broken shock absorber that would bottom out on the Passenger's Side... And BOTH issues were taken care of quite nicely by my local Ford Dealer :shift:

All it takes is a few pictures (taken by the dealer) and a quick call to Ford Racing Warantee Dept (1-800 number) and you'll be fixed up in no time :happy feet:

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Typically it was the driver's side muffler hanger. The rod that comes off of the top of the muffler and goes through the eyelet hanging from the body. The trouble rods protruded far enough through the hole that it makes contact on the back of the front side of the bumper. The actual bumper not the cover. On mine you can see the line where the hanger rod would travel against the bumper as it made the chirp. Honestly, I haven't heard mine in a very long time. Maybe it wore down enough clearance. Some cut the rod a 1/2" shorter or so. I remember one owner saying it 30 minutes with a dremel. Others reported loosening the muffler and adjusting it forward enough to fix the problem.

Keep in mind this may not be your problem but if you crawl under your car and look you might get an answer one way or another.

ok i looked under the car there are 2 hangers 1 before the muffler and one after. i wiggled the muffler up and down and couldnt see it rubbing anything. the hangers have some kinda sleaving on them to buffer it from the black colored flat shaped brackets mounted to the car's frame. i take it that the hangers arent accually attatched to the car, just welded to the mufflers?

the hanger behind the muffler has about an inch clearance from the bumper and from what i could tell from a quick, but a contoursioned position laying on the ground, i didnt see any rub marks anwhere.

anyway i couldnt get my hand far enough in there to grab the hangers to see if the welds were loose, because i just got done driving it home from work and didnt wanna scorch myself. the exhaust tip was only thing i could grab that wasn't too hot.

the city streets here SUCK big time. there are patches in the roads where they arent quite even with the road surface and if i hit them between 5-15 mph it really makes that chirp sound like a squawk. seems like just this morning it was louder.

:ph34r:

We had an occasional squeak over bumps. Wound up being a broken rear anti-sway bar link bolt.

Had it replaced under warranty and did not hear it out to, around, and back from Terlingua.

It's just a little piece that locks the bar tight against the support.

Hope this helps

post-11718-1222957436_thumb.jpg

post-11718-1222957436_thumb.jpg

i checked under there some more and grabbed the hangers and they werent loose. the welds were fine. the sway bar link bolts seem to be in tact. nothin broken from what i see. i looked in my trunk and thought i move my spare tire in a different spot and took a drive and so far i dont hear the chirp now. maybe when i go to work tonite i'll try to hear for it again. hope its just the spare tire bouncin...who knows.

i hate not being able to get under this car like i want to. not like a truck where u can practically walk on stilts under them.

i checked under there some more and grabbed the hangers and they werent loose. the welds were fine. the sway bar link bolts seem to be in tact. nothin broken from what i see. i looked in my trunk and thought i move my spare tire in a different spot and took a drive and so far i dont hear the chirp now. maybe when i go to work tonite i'll try to hear for it again. hope its just the spare tire bouncin...who knows.

i hate not being able to get under this car like i want to. not like a truck where u can practically walk on stilts under them.

..check the drivers side hanger, the upper piece that points straight back at the inside of the bumper, when the system is very hot. Your exhaust system "grows" with heat. I bet you will find it much closer to the metal part of the bumper.

..check the drivers side hanger, the upper piece that points straight back at the inside of the bumper, when the system is very hot. Your exhaust system "grows" with heat. I bet you will find it much closer to the metal part of the bumper.

ok i'll look again when i get the chance. i guess when u hit bumps the bumper moves a little too as well as the mufflers. i'll try to see if i can find a rubbing spot on the metal part of bumper.

I had a similar problem with my 2004 Thunderbird. I would hit a bump and it sounded like the wheel was chirping. Try turning off your traction control. When I would hit a bump just right, while under acceleration, I would see the traction light flash. I think your wheel is spinning a little bit after you hit the bump. Turning the T/C off did the trick for me. I've had the same thing happen with my SGT. Now I always turn the T/C OFF after I start the car. :)

now its a chirp with a rattle this time. :banghead:

sounds like somethin in the trunk but i checked everthing in the trunk and i cant hear or see anything that would do that.

this is drivin me nuts. i'll have to look under the car again and try to find that trunk monkey and see if he's under there beatin on somethin.

sounds like somethin in the trunk but i checked everthing in the trunk and i cant hear or see anything that would do that.

this is drivin me nuts. i'll have to look under the car again and try to find that trunk monkey and see if he's under there beatin on somethin.

Check your muffler hangers. Use a rubber mallet and tap each muffler and make sure you don't have a loose baffle.

Man I looked under mine too. I didn't see any signs of hangers rubbing or broken sway bar bolts. Mine is also pissing me off. I'm avoiding taking it to the dealer though cause they are going to want to do the stupid pass side airbag recall and I dont want them touching my computer and reflashing a stock GT tune on there.

Is the noise more prevalent when you hit rough sections of road, kind of like something is loose? I have avoided some sections of road where I can get it. Seems to be a definite rear area issue.

SS owner out of Madison Wisconsin area I met at the Woodward Dreamcruise said his friends SGT had this. Issue was a bracket that holds the fuel lines under the passenger seat is weak and can be set off by the right excitation. Forgot his post name to do a follow up with to get a better understanding. Apparently noise was not a warranted item but, fix was simple.

His story of reporting to SAI his hood vent exterior cover came off at speed returning to Madison from the delivery at SAI was good. Did not mention speed was 162 mph. Just get me a new cover and a better tube of Glue.

DrKSGT

ok i looked under the car there are 2 hangers 1 before the muffler and one after. i wiggled the muffler up and down and couldnt see it rubbing anything. the hangers have some kinda sleaving on them to buffer it from the black colored flat shaped brackets mounted to the car's frame. i take it that the hangers arent accually attatched to the car, just welded to the mufflers?

the hanger behind the muffler has about an inch clearance from the bumper and from what i could tell from a quick, but a contoursioned position laying on the ground, i didnt see any rub marks anwhere.

anyway i couldnt get my hand far enough in there to grab the hangers to see if the welds were loose, because i just got done driving it home from work and didnt wanna scorch myself. the exhaust tip was only thing i could grab that wasn't too hot.

the city streets here SUCK big time. there are patches in the roads where they arent quite even with the road surface and if i hit them between 5-15 mph it really makes that chirp sound like a squawk. seems like just this morning it was louder.

:ph34r:

I had a problem with the passenger side muffler. It was like a buzzing sound. It was the clamp on the pipe that would vibrate against the fuel tank. It would happen on occasion when taking off. I just turned the clamp around, and the buzzing went away.

I also have a loud chirping sound when hitting bumps or dipps in the road. But that sound is coming from the polyurethane bushings, not the mufflers.

My chirp (and rattle) was a broken rear muffler bracket on the driver's side where the weld snapped off. The tailpipe wore a little spot in the body after 1 day.

Great. Just great.

Funny, the only hassles I have had with this car are the "upgrades": Hood scoop, hood pins, mufflers, stripes... oh, stop me.

Jer

If it only does it after warm-up, check the drivers muffler hanger bracket. It's only 1/2" or less from the [real] bumper up under the rear vinyl clip and when the exhaust heats up it expands in length up to 3/8" and can put the hanger in gentle contact with the steel bumper. DUnno if that's it but several have reported this.

Another thought.... maybe remove the rear seat (pops right out) and remover everything 'loose' in the trunk (including floor lid, jack, etc). If the sound changes or goes away, maybe it's not under the car. Dunno if your suspension is stock ...some LCAs have been 'squeeky' (a chirp might be a squeek in the making?) ...dunno, but might help isolate it.

---

These things will drive you nuts. My friend had a new rack & pinion installed in his Cobra at 65K miles and got the car back with a new tinkley-rattle in the rear! Really annoying over any bumps. The dealer hears it and has had it in 3x and is still baffled. They've now pulled everything out of the interior-rear and the trunk and were convinced it was rear shock rubbers. Changed them both -- no diff ...this stuff can drive you nuts. Here's where jockey's and children can make a few bucks <lol> -- strap one on the side of the car and have them listen! :hysterical: ;-)

If it only does it after warm-up, check the drivers muffler hanger bracket. It's only 1/2" or less from the [real] bumper up under the rear vinyl clip and when the exhaust heats up it expands in length up to 3/8" and can put the hanger in gentle contact with the steel bumper. DUnno if that's it but several have reported this.

Another thought.... maybe remove the rear seat (pops right out) and remover everything 'loose' in the trunk (including floor lid, jack, etc). If the sound changes or goes away, maybe it's not under the car. Dunno if your suspension is stock ...some LCAs have been 'squeeky' (a chirp might be a squeek in the making?) ...dunno, but might help isolate it.

---

These things will drive you nuts. My friend had a new rack & pinion installed in his Cobra at 65K miles and got the car back with a new tinkley-rattle in the rear! Really annoying over any bumps. The dealer hears it and has had it in 3x and is still baffled. They've now pulled everything out of the interior-rear and the trunk and were convinced it was rear shock rubbers. Changed them both -- no diff ...this stuff can drive you nuts. Here's where jockey's and children can make a few bucks <lol> -- strap one on the side of the car and have them listen! :hysterical: ;-)

Ditto to all the above, it seems we have all had a few items come loose or break. One other item I found that causes a significant noise when a bump is encounteered is the front/rear valences are loose where they connect to the metal bumper areas. I went to Ace and removed the loose fitting black plastic punch in retainers and replaced them with a larger diameter retainer that really tightened up the front/rear valences and walla, no more noise. I have also found that the front sway bar top end support rod bolts loosen easily. A little loctite fixs this. Been through 2 right exhaust hangers. Steeda is supposed to have a nice set that is very reliable. On order and I will let you know how they work.

Jeff

I had a chirping noise coming from the driver's side every time I hit a bump in the road; it was driving me nuts. At first I thought it was in the suspension. Dealer shop drove around with some equipment and thought it was the driver's side shock, so they replaced it and did not fix the problem. Then they ordered a new rear swaybar. When I brought the car in to have the sway bar replaced, a new tech decided he wanted to hear the noise so he climbs in the back seat and we drive around for a while. Next thing I know he has the interior guy pulling apart the rear interior panels, turns out there was something rubbing on the seatbelt retraction mechanism. The noise is still gone after 6 months.

• 5 weeks later...
I had a chirping noise coming from the driver's side every time I hit a bump in the road; it was driving me nuts. At first I thought it was in the suspension. Dealer shop drove around with some equipment and thought it was the driver's side shock, so they replaced it and did not fix the problem. Then they ordered a new rear swaybar. When I brought the car in to have the sway bar replaced, a new tech decided he wanted to hear the noise so he climbs in the back seat and we drive around for a while. Next thing I know he has the interior guy pulling apart the rear interior panels, turns out there was something rubbing on the seatbelt retraction mechanism. The noise is still gone after 6 months.

hmmm....

anyway this noise is drivin me NUTS!!!!!

whats really crazy is since its gotten colder its really been makin noise back there. its now makin a sound like some old box spring matress with a really fat guy tossin and turning on it.

doesnt matter if the car is warmed up or not it still makes the noise, so i doubt its the exhaust. and yeah its behind the driver's side somewhere. maybe swaybar bushings or who knows. maybe a trunk monkey bouncin around. :wacko:

i'm due for an oil change anyway so... i'll get one of them to take a ride with me.

hmmm....

anyway this noise is drivin me NUTS!!!!!

whats really crazy is since its gotten colder its really been makin noise back there. its now makin a sound like some old box spring matress with a really fat guy tossin and turning on it.

doesnt matter if the car is warmed up or not it still makes the noise, so i doubt its the exhaust. and yeah its behind the driver's side somewhere. maybe swaybar bushings or who knows. maybe a trunk monkey bouncin around. :wacko:

i'm due for an oil change anyway so... i'll get one of them to take a ride with me.

might be worth popping out the rear seat just to see of that affects it ...it comes right out.

Archived