TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My spouse finally Drives my SGT

SGT/SC#0471

Haha Awesome, so my wife would not even drive my car when I offered it to her. Ever, in the country with me in the car, I mean never.

She drove it once at the dealer as I insisted on it before I bought it and she was sick of my protracted car hunting and relented.

Now mind you she drove a built 71 Chevelle as a DD, but was afraid of messing my car up. She has also driven a 850hp dragster.

But man she had been sweating driving the SGT, I guess I let on that I like it maybe a little too much, haha. These cars got a juju I swear.

Anyway I am proud that she got over it and finally drove it to work. I spent about 15 minutes doing burnouts in a lot last night, to relate to her that she could not hurt the dang thing, its not an exotic with a butter soft clutch and a exspensive v-12, this is a USA v-8! haha!!

Guess it worked, anybody else have this experience with a spouse having SGT anxiety?

I am proud of her and she said that the "corners were real fun, except for the traffic" That's my girl! Haha!

Well, my wife Dale absolutely refuses to learn to drive stick in my SGT and the fact that she cant (yet, I will teach her soon!) has precluded her from driving my SGT.

but she has loved the car since day one.

However, on a recent trip to Perry Ga, we solved that problem.

We bought Dale her very own 08 Blue SGT Coupe (Auto).

(She still doesnt want to drive mine!)

Great job Mccoy, taking her to a parking lot and showing her its not made of butta!

Great post!

My wife drove mine (ours? :) ) home from the dealer because I was / am in Iraq. Funny thing though it is parked now because she has wrecked two of our other vehicles since I have been gone. She is a much better driver than me and always has been. I think she must be stressed with raising the kids and handling matters alone. She hit the garage door with one car backing out tearing up the roof of our VW Golf TDI and had a fender bender with someone at an intersection with our F-250 Super Duty pickup. Needless to say the Shelby is parked for now. She starts it up from time to time to keep the battery charged though. Bless her heart. She used to always remind me what a great driver she was and how I always had the accidents. Now it's not a topic she likes to bring up.

My wife is afraid to drive my SGT, too. I have owned it since December '07. The dealer insisted that she start it when we picked it up but she has never been beind the wheel since. It is part the power she can feel when I get on it on the freeway. However, I think the major factor is how passionalte I am about my car. She is afraid of breaking something or having an accident resulting in me having to kill her on the spot. She's afraid an all male jury would buy my justifiable homicde defense!

As for the tranny issues, my SGT is an auto. Our very first car back in the day was a manual with a "3 on the tree" Chevy Bel Air hand me down from her father. I have to admit I never drove a stick before and she had to teach me.

Ha Ha, my wife told me the other day that she is afraid to drive the SGT now that I've got it all done up like I want it...she said she's afraid she'll get some water spots or bugs on it...I told her, just be sure to clean them off before I see them! LOL I tried to get her to drive it some on our 4,000 mile vacation trip this summer, but she said she didn't want to...just wanted to sit in the passenger seat and enjoy the ride...

I'd tell her to take the car to her work, but she works at Odessa High School and I know how those kids are around someone's nice car...it'd get scratched by some little jerk and I'd have to go on a hunting trip...

One week, before we got our 3rd car (our "commuter" Civic), I went away on business travel and my wife drove the SGT into work for 3 days. She had no problem with it, but she didn't like everyone gawking at her - so, that's the only reason she doesn't really want to drive it...well that plus I think she would not want to be the one to be in it if it got damaged somehow. She once had a Mustang GT before we ever met, I think it was an '89, which she loved.

My wife has driven our SGT only about 4 times. She is also very nervous I think mostly because of the low clearance more than anything. She is always afraid of scraping the nose, as she should be. I had to teach her how to enter gas stations and driveway entries and a more extreme angle than her honda odyssey mini van. She also has noted the looks that she gets driving down the street and swears that every guy in town is looking at the car and that makes her feel uncomfortable. That did however put her mind at ease for me driving the car as she used to be nervous that it would attract the ladies. LOL As she puts like to refer to it... it a man car that attracts other men. I told her not to say that to everyone she meets as it might come across in a different way.

My wife has driven our SGT only about 4 times. She is also very nervous I think mostly because of the low clearance more than anything. She is always afraid of scraping the nose, as she should be. I had to teach her how to enter gas stations and driveway entries and a more extreme angle than her honda odyssey mini van. She also has noted the looks that she gets driving down the street and swears that every guy in town is looking at the car and that makes her feel uncomfortable. That did however put her mind at ease for me driving the car as she used to be nervous that it would attract the ladies. LOL As she puts like to refer to it... it a man car that attracts other men. I told her not to say that to everyone she meets as it might come across in a different way.

I wondered about that too after you ended up parking right next to me and my SGT 3 different times at the MCA show in Park City last month! LOL

Thes cars do seem to be guy magnets, though.

My wife has driven my car 2 times. She loves the car and she loves to do burnouts but she is also scared someone dinging the doors at a shopping center or anywhere for that matter. She refuses to take it to work. Thank god for that. I would be scared to have my car sit in a parking lot all day.

Mine cannot drive stick so i'm safe for now! I keep telling her i'll teach her to drive (in my 90 GT) but she keeps saying she wants to learn in the "new" one! Hahaha riiiiiight! Anyway, I keep her at a distance from the SGT. Don't want her knowing too much about it. That way things that happen like this past weekend when I was washing it she comes out and is standing there for a few minutes.... She says, "Are those new?" I said, "What?" She says, "Those scoops on the side?" She was referring to the 1/4's I put on.... I just laughed and said, "No, those were always there!"

When we went and took the SGT for a test drive I couldn't drive because I just had heart surgery, so she was in the drivers seat. When we got about two miles from the dealership I told her to turn around, she pulls in on a side road, turns the car around, and then proceeds to "light'em up " :peelout: I yelled "HEY, I might buy this car" her response........"you don't own it yet". All I could do is give her a dirty look. She's always been a gear head, farm girl, NASCAR nut, drives my stock car in the mechanics race, not the powder puff, and has her own 05 Mustang Pony, so I trust her completely!

I bought an Automatic just so my wife could drive it also. I knew that the Axle swap to the 355 would be quick with the H.P. and 5 speed auto. I use it as a daily driver and my wife drives it way to fast. She sits on a huge pillow so she can see over the hood scoop. I always tell her to slow down. SHe takes it out to work and shopping and when she gets back she tells me about all the attention she gets. HMMM, maybe I shouldnt let her drive it so much. SUDDEN.

Thats funny, Dale just told me today...."I thought guys were checking me out

while I was driving the Shelby.....turns out, they are just looking at the car!" :hysterical:

LOL- Yeah it takes a little getting used to. The first month or 2 I was not paying any attention to the looks I would get cuz I was having too much fun. Then for a few weeks I thought I might want to tint the windows dark to avoid being in the "fish bowl". It's been 2 summers now with no tint and while the magic has not worn off at all, I just don't pay too much attention to the lookie loos any more!

Never had this problem in my 92 honda civic 3 years ago! Nobody noticed anything- LOL

When we went and took the SGT for a test drive I couldn't drive because I just had heart surgery, so she was in the drivers seat. When we got about two miles from the dealership I told her to turn around, she pulls in on a side road, turns the car around, and then proceeds to "light'em up " :peelout: I yelled "HEY, I might buy this car" her response........"you don't own it yet". All I could do is give her a dirty look. She's always been a gear head, farm girl, NASCAR nut, drives my stock car in the mechanics race, not the powder puff, and has her own 05 Mustang Pony, so I trust her completely!

You seriously married right... :hysterical: Awesome!

My wife drove it for a while on the way to Vegas to get the KB installed. She started to get on the freeway and goosed it and said she didn't like it because it was "too fast". I explained that after driving a Jeep and, very infrequently, my truck, for the last 10 years, that she hasn't driven a sedan and that it actually had a suspension and handled well, she should just "take it easy" and remember that it's peppy but not any more so than the Mercedes (she bought that).

On the way back she drove it with the Kenne Bell and didn't notice the difference. She did comment about passing though :).

She's not afraid of it any more, and treats the accelerator with respect. Especially when turning corners.

I'll show her how to smoke the tires. :)

Archived