TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A New BOSS 302 Motor Coming?

I talked with a High ranking Ford Person today & he said to watch out for some "NEW" news at SEMA (Oct 31st - Nov. 3rd) regarding a motor called “BOSS 302” I asked if it was the old motors coming back or a new modular motor that had the Cubic inches bumped up?

His reply was simple…… just wait & see & that’s all I can say. So let the speculating begin if we get a new BOSS 302 Model to look forward to or just the old motor becoming available for purchase thru Ford Racing.

OH, one more thing he mentioned was Shinoda bought ALL the rights to the "BOSS" name? Hhmm?

• 3 weeks later...

A 5L modular engine makes sense - one is available from FRPP.

Shinoda building it would make a lot of connections to the past, and the latest info about Saleen forging an aliance with GM starts to add up.

This would fit well with what Ford has been saying about future projects, AND current financial situations.

Add in a 5.8L Hurricane/Boss 351 to compete with the 6.2L LS3, and whatever "Hemi" is finally brought to market, and the future looks bright.

The latest report I now have seems it will be a NEW Modular 5.0 N.A. Boss 302 ( I think 375 hp) with the stripping like the original over the hood (from fender to fender) & down the sides (like PJ's) & has the Shelby GT500 suspension & a stripped out interior for less weight. :shift:

That sounds like a real sweet spot. It gets you a decent amount of power, certainly lower weight, a bump in displacement from the 4.6L, which should improve torque, and I love the striping you describe. The devil is in the details, but if I couldn't get a GT500, this would likely run a close 2nd for me. Wonder if they'll offer the 6 speed trans in it.

Dave

I talked with a High ranking Ford Person today & he said to watch out for some "NEW" news at SEMA (Oct 31st - Nov. 3rd) regarding a motor called “BOSS 302” I asked if it was the old motors coming back or a new modular motor that had the Cubic inches bumped up?

His reply was simple…… just wait & see & that’s all I can say. So let the speculating begin if we get a new BOSS 302 Model to look forward to or just the old motor becoming available for purchase thru Ford Racing.

OH, one more thing he mentioned was Shinoda bought ALL the rights to the "BOSS" name? Hhmm?

Um, I think Larry Shinoda has gone on to his great reward, some years ago in fact. He also penned the original Grand Cherokee for Cryco, and then they stiffed him out of it saying his concept wasn't what they were looking for when in reality they were all OVER it like a cheap suit. Not that we give a bleep about stinking SUV's here. Just my .02 cents

The modular ought to be a good fit for a BOSS revisit, high winding as it is.

I think it is so cool that these cars are comming back to life again, and that there will be a few choices that the buyer can make on which Mustang they want to own. This is going to be fun to watch and see what all comes available.

I think it is so cool that these cars are comming back to life again, and that there will be a few choices that the buyer can make on which Mustang they want to own. This is going to be fun to watch and see what all comes available.

+1 I haven't been so excited about the hi perf landscape in 20 years when they had the Grand National Buicks.

Dave

Archived