TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fear the Bunny Club!

VorpalBunny

Thanks for the comments Frank--maybe something in the 3.55 range might be the best compromise.

Our car probably won't see much track time and with the primary driver being my soon to be licensed 16 yr old son,

don't want to have too much performance potential to tempt him to do a "dumb" thing.

That's also why we went with the base package.

(And I still remember as a 16 yr old, my first car was a 66 289 Mustang coupe, that I eventually loaded up with a few extra's

like 4.10 gears--traded CAR-toon drawings for most of the speed parts that always seemed to come out of somebodies trunk or pick-up bed.) ;) :D :rolleyes:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My experience driving a V6 automatic 3.31 for a couple years is: in ordinary driving the engine revs are low enough that even a 4.10 wouldn't be too irritating, except on long trips. Miles per gallon is not really a critical factor in these kinds of cars, but many of the 3.73 users report improved economy over the 3.31.

Only negative aspect of 3.73 as opposed to 3.31 would be that on your typical autocross track (Qualcomm Stadium lots in San Diego, anyway) the usual top speed is right at the top of second gear at 3.31, and the complication of having to shift up and down 2-3-2 with an automatic 3.73 might be more trouble than it's worth.

What car came with 3.55? Sometimes the takeoff agents offer that ratio in the 8.8.

Hey Frank,

I am driving my Terlingua with the 3:73's and its highway manners and mileage seem excellent. In overdrive, I clocked the highway mileage last Sunday right around 29 and the rpms's are very low and tolerable for highway speeds. As I recall about 2500 at 90 and less at legal speeds again in 5th.

Vorpal

Great info on the gearing in the rear guys. I have an auto also, so very interested in your experience with the different ratios. I agree that as far as the hero card, the 8.8 is part of both packages with a choice of either 3.55 or 3.73 gear sets. Please let us know if it really is in the package. Great stuff! Anyone know what they are offering as upgrades to the base pack?

Great info on the gearing in the rear guys. I have an auto also, so very interested in your experience with the different ratios. I agree that as far as the hero card, the 8.8 is part of both packages with a choice of either 3.55 or 3.73 gear sets. Please let us know if it really is in the package. Great stuff! Anyone know what they are offering as upgrades to the base pack?

The rear end upgrade WAS a part of the preliminary Base Package list. But when I put my deposit down in August at Quantum Performance that item had been omitted already and the New Hero Card which was already published when I paid did not include it.

So I'm paying QP to buy one and put it in as additional work. And I'm going with the 3.73's

[ ... ]

What car came with 3.55? Sometimes the takeoff agents offer that ratio in the 8.8.

Answering my own question (Wikipedia) :

The standard final drive ratio of 2005 and 2006 Mustang GTs with a manual transmission is 3.55:1. Since the 2007 model year, a 3.31:1 ratio final drive is standard with the 3.55:1 gearing available as a factory installed option. Automatic transmission-equipped models of all years receive the less aggressive 3.31:1 ratio.

I'd guess the takeoffs from 2005-2006 are pretty hard to come by this late in the game; probably have to go to Ford Parts for 3.55s.

I think Tasca is working off an older listing that included the 8.8 rear swap. When they get the parts for my build,

I'll post what was included.

As for upgrades, I "think" all the items from the Performance listing can be added to the base package.

We had thought about upgrading the brakes, but wanted to stick with the 18" wheel/tire setup (cheaper replacement tire costs). :D

Also, not sure they would clear these rims.

:lurk: Thanks Blip. Doug from the Vegas shop has told us that there are no upgrades available for the base package. You either get the base or the performance package. But, all that could change before Vegas starts building the cars. I'm thinking that perhaps the mod shops are a bit more flexible in the upgrade area. Because of this, we may go the mod shop route.

:lurk: Thanks Blip. Doug from the Vegas shop has told us that there are no upgrades available for the base package. You either get the base or the performance package. But, all that could change before Vegas starts building the cars. I'm thinking that perhaps the mod shops are a bit more flexible in the upgrade area. Because of this, we may go the mod shop route.

That could be right, as Tasca is still in the initial process of starting up.

Did notice in the posted photos from the Terlingua event, there was a Grabber Orange Terlingua, with the Base package body work, that

had the 20" Razor wheels and a decal below the "Terlingua" side stripe that said "Supercharged."

That sure makes me think you could add at least some of the parts from the Performance package.

Will post what I learn when Tasca receives my parts order.

(Found a good photo of this "Base" car, it was in a set posted by tao--hope it's okay that I linked it here.)

Edit: Just got the word that this is a one-off SAI prototype vehicle should not expect it to represent final production--thanks VB. :stats::salute: :D

IMG_2653.jpg

I have no problem with anyone posting the photo's I put up, but actually Blip, credit for this photo goes to Reine (Dave's [VB's]) wife. I will admit to having uploaded to photobucket however :lol:

regarding the rear gears 3.31 vs 3.73's VB and I spoke with the guys at Garage 419 while at the terlingua bash and they were very adamant that 3.73 was the way to go as they had driven mustangs with both setups over the weekend and said that the 3.73 just made a world of difference in the car without much in the way of drawbacks. The tranny gearing makes up for the the taller rear gears and you don't lose highway drivability (is that a word?). Your not going to get as good mileage, but still decent, but it's not what the cars built for anyway

Thanks Tao, are you talking manual, auto, or both?

manual, I don't think they tried a auto (but I could be wrong) in any case once you start getting into the really tall gears 4.11's etc it stops being a road car and starts turning toward drags (or stop light racing as you prefer) while drivable especially with the way tranny's are being built today it starts to get very annoying to drive any tall geared car long distance

Yep Tao, you got that right concerning the tranny. I was hoping someone had info on an auto as well. I'm thinking the 3.55's are the way to go with the auto.

We have an auto trany equiped donar car and are leaning toward 3.55 gearing.

My Supercharged Saleen, also with auto, does well with just the 3.31 gear set.

That's the way I'm leaning too Blip. I just have no data to back up that choice. As yours is an auto, your's is the test bed lol...thanks

Ours won't be built until this winter, so someone else may get an auto trany one done before then.

If not, I'll post everything I learn here.

Welp, got to go buy some candy today which got me to think about a quick doodle for tomorrow...

...And we still need a name for this pumpkin carvin' hare.

FTBHalloween.jpg

Ours won't be built until this winter, so someone else may get an auto trany one done before then.

If not, I'll post everything I learn here.

Welp, got to go buy some candy today which got me to think about a quick doodle for tomorrow...

...And we still need a name for this pumpkin carvin' hare.

FTBHalloween.jpg

Blip,

My Lord that is awesome!!!!

Jason comes to mind with that knife!

VB

Blip,

Just awesome. How about some Christmas cards?

Hey, :rant2: .... Has somebody been peeking into my sketch book? :D

I'll try to get some designs done in the next week or two.

If anyone is interested, maybe we can get something made available thru the Team Shelby store.

And thanks again, just happy to share my doodles here with you all.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you all seen the new "upgraded" Terlingua list of standard equipment? They have NO wheels and tires listed in the base package. And the Ford performance kit with the cold air kit and computer reprogramming is also no longer listed. They did raise the price by a grand. More money for less? I have sent and email asking for clarification as this might have been an oversight. I sure hope so. They are now offering "Terlingua seat covers" as an option that sounds cool.

• 4 months later...
:cry: Hey all....where did everyone go? No posting for 4 months???

Good point - been all club posts since.

But WERE BACK - I even put up a new post/invite for those who might not have seen this older thread.

Hoping to hear from the newer/soon to be Terlingua owners who have not already joined or spoken up and any and all who are interested in any way.

For those who have not met me - I am just doing this for pure fun - join us if you like!

All are welcome,

VB and FTB

Archived