TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is the trade in value for a 07 SGT?

dieselhaven

I own a 07 SGT serial number #: 07SGT3387 and was thinking on trading her in for something else. I was told that the car is not worth anything more than a 07 GT without Shelby on it. Is this true or not true. Another place said the same thing now I am begining to wonder if it was worth $50K and my Harley. Someone please tell me the truth about this car and its price on the market today.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I own a 07 SGT serial number #: 07SGT3387 and was thinking on trading her in for something else. I was told that the car is not worth anything more than a 07 GT without Shelby on it. Is this true or not true. Another place said the same thing now I am begining to wonder if it was worth $50K and my Harley. Someone please tell me the truth about this car and its price on the market today.

To be honest, on the SGT, I would tend to agree as most are just add on parts with Shelby on it, and a little more HP, so even though I would say a slight bump, not by much. Just my take. Sorry!

50k & your Harley?

The car listed for 40k, what were you thinking?

you thought you would pay that much over sticker AND get your money back in a year?

sorry and no offense, but you really are joking arent you?

No offense either but back in 2007 when both the SGT and the GT500 were to be made available to the public, and I hadn't decided which way to go (I bought the GT500), I could pick-up a SGT for a less than $42K for an invoice cost of approximately $40K, and today a zero mile model can be had for around $38K. We have all seen that there are some used ones going around these days, and I saw one not too long ago at $34K with less than 1K miles. You are joking about what you paid, right?

Well........... it's only worth what a dealer is willing to give YOU for it if that's the route you're going. There's a few things YOU have to factor in.

1. It's a limited production car. It's numbered, its got Shelby DNA.

2. You need to find a buyer (who isn't a dealer) who understands #1.

3. It's then only WORTH what a buyer is willing to pay for it!

4. You have to find a buyer who KNOWS what they're buying.

5. Gas is hovering at or near $4 a gallon. These are V-8's nobody is going to buy these cars unless they understand #1 & #4.

To be honest, on the SGT, I would tend to agree as most are just add on parts with Shelby on it, and a little more HP, so even though I would say a slight bump, not by much. Just my take. Sorry!

wow lots of hard core SGT hate on here lately

1st its a true #ed car

2nd and this is going to hurt 500 guys and girls its a real shelby (ask the shelby daytona guys how there values have held up against the #ed shelby dodge cars)

3rd if a dealer isnt going to give you more than a gt for the car FIND ANOTHER DEALER

sorry but damn as a long time turbo dodge and shelby dodge guy ive seen this play out before and it will end up the same this time around the #ed cars will be the ones that rise in value later on down the line.

Sorry, but what you were told is correct. I PM'd ShelbyDude asking him what My 07 SGT was worth on trade in with 3,000 miles. I was going to possibly trade it in on an 08 SGT. The dealers will only give you what they can get for it at auction, which right now is only 25-26K. New 07 SGTs (if there are any still left) are going for 29-32K. New 08 SGT coupes are going for around mid 30's. Convertibles are still a little higher.

Even selling the car to an individual buyer should only bring you about 30K, because they can get a brand new one for just a little bit more.

Maybe in 10 years or so they might start holding their value.

Well........... it's only worth what a dealer is willing to give YOU for it if that's the route you're going. There's a few things YOU have to factor in.

1. It's a limited production car. It's numbered, its got Shelby DNA.

2. You need to find a buyer (who isn't a dealer) who understands #1.

3. It's then only WORTH what a buyer is willing to pay for it!

4. You have to find a buyer who KNOWS what they're buying.

5. Gas is hovering at or near $4 a gallon. These are V-8's nobody is going to buy these cars unless they understand #1 & #4.

I agree with #1 & 4, 100%. I always have to explain to people that see Shelby on the car, and ask how come there are no cobra emblems on it. As a fan of Shelby and could not afford the K.R. I wanted something that was touched by Shelby and went down the same assembly line as they did in the 60's. Then they still don't understand, and after a couple of minutes of explaining, they (hopefully) finally see my point.

As for the value of the Shelby GT. To me mine is PRICELESS!!!

wow lots of hard core SGT hate on here lately

1st its a true #ed car

2nd and this is going to hurt 500 guys and girls its a real shelby (ask the shelby daytona guys how there values have held up against the #ed shelby dodge cars)

3rd if a dealer isnt going to give you more than a gt for the car FIND ANOTHER DEALER

sorry but damn as a long time turbo dodge and shelby dodge guy ive seen this play out before and it will end up the same this time around the #ed cars will be the ones that rise in value later on down the line.

True number car... yea so? There are a lot of these on lots, all numbered and guess what?? Still there, so the number and the name do not mean much to the average buyer. So unless it DOES, it is a GT with a few add ons and a bump in HP.... No I do NOT hate the SGT, but anyone who thinks either of these cars (GT500) are going to APPRECIATE, or HOLD value, more so in this market, has to be kidding themselves. When they become RARE, and I am talking as rare as a UNICORN, maybe then! But I stand by my comment, good luck in better close to what you paid!... Dealer or private, everything is playing against your odds right now.

Last week I emailed a guy in Orlando,FL about a possible trade in for a used GT500 that they had listed in the mid 30's and this is what I got back from him,

Bill Currie Ford

5815 N Dale Mabry Hwy

Tampa, Florida 33614

Phone: (888) 255-1156

Hey,

If you have the Shelby 300, your trade in is worth some where in the neighborhood of $19,000.

Tamari Thompson

Internet Sales Manager

Bill Currie Ford

(813) 554-5374

Bill Currie Ford, 5815 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33614

I wanted to laugh at him but I questioned him and here is another response,

Yes of course. Carroll cut Ford off and the 1970 models were really the 1969 models carried over. Just so you know I am the National Ford Trainer of all Ford models. On another note we call the Shelby GT the Shelby 300. That is how we differentiate in the car business the GT500 from the Shelby GT! And yes that is what your trade is worth.

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:9 PM

To:"christopher van-niel"

Cc:

Subject:RE: Bill Currie Ford additional info

Mr.Currie,

Thank you,however, I must ask as to how did you come about that figure? The car itself cost me $31,990 plus the addition of $8,390 of the Shelby upgrade package. It is a low mileage well kept vehicle. This has the IUP, I see 2005 mustangs for with high mileage with higher prices. Unless you are selling the GT500 for $30,000 I thank you for your time and would like a response as to the figure I was quoted. FYI, there is no such thing as a Shelby 300, this is a Shelby GT which was actually sent to Las Vegas for the transformation. I wish not to challenge your knowledge of the these types of vehicles but I must question a Ford salesman who makes statements such as a "Shelby 300". Furthermore this is not a Shelby GT350 either.The last GT350 was built in 1970. Out of curiosity do you know the reasoning behind the GT350?

Thanks,

Chris

True number car... yea so? There are a lot of these on lots, all numbered and guess what?? Still there, so the number and the name do not mean much to the average buyer. So unless it DOES, it is a GT with a few add ons and a bump in HP.... No I do NOT hate the SGT, but anyone who thinks either of these cars (GT500) are going to APPRECIATE, or HOLD value, more so in this market, has to be kidding themselves. When they become RARE, and I am talking as rare as a UNICORN, maybe then! But I stand by my comment, good luck in better close to what you paid!... Dealer or private, everything is playing against your odds right now.

SLB8SNK, are you Swedeman in disguise?? :headscratch:

Eventually what will set the Shelby GT way apart from the GT500 will be, simply, the rarity. But for now, two few people even know what they are, and that is keeping a lid on the prices. I think at some point they will sell for more than the GT500's, but it'll take probably 15 years for this to play out.

Last week I emailed a guy in Orlando,FL about a possible trade in for a used GT500 that they had listed in the mid 30's and this is what I got back from him,

Bill Currie Ford

5815 N Dale Mabry Hwy

Tampa, Florida 33614

Phone: (888) 255-1156

Hey,

If you have the Shelby 300, your trade in is worth some where in the neighborhood of $19,000.

Tamari Thompson

Internet Sales Manager

Bill Currie Ford

(813) 554-5374

Bill Currie Ford, 5815 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33614

I wanted to laugh at him but I questioned him and here is another response,

Yes of course. Carroll cut Ford off and the 1970 models were really the 1969 models carried over. Just so you know I am the National Ford Trainer of all Ford models. On another note we call the Shelby GT the Shelby 300. That is how we differentiate in the car business the GT500 from the Shelby GT! And yes that is what your trade is worth.

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:9 PM

To:"christopher van-niel"

Cc:

Subject:RE: Bill Currie Ford additional info

Mr.Currie,

Thank you,however, I must ask as to how did you come about that figure? The car itself cost me $31,990 plus the addition of $8,390 of the Shelby upgrade package. It is a low mileage well kept vehicle. This has the IUP, I see 2005 mustangs for with high mileage with higher prices. Unless you are selling the GT500 for $30,000 I thank you for your time and would like a response as to the figure I was quoted. FYI, there is no such thing as a Shelby 300, this is a Shelby GT which was actually sent to Las Vegas for the transformation. I wish not to challenge your knowledge of the these types of vehicles but I must question a Ford salesman who makes statements such as a "Shelby 300". Furthermore this is not a Shelby GT350 either.The last GT350 was built in 1970. Out of curiosity do you know the reasoning behind the GT350?

Thanks,

Chris

On another note we call the Shelby GT the Shelby 300. That is how we differentiate in the car business the GT500 from the Shelby GT! And yes that is what your trade is worth.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Well, I must admit that I'm not a national sales trainer and would be the first to admit that I don't know a whole lot about the older shelbys, but I am pretty well informed on all the new shelby mustangs and this is the very first time I have ever heard the term "shelby 300". :hysterical:

I have seen and heard dealers refer to the Shelby GT as a GT350 or baby shelby, but shelby 300 is a new one on me. As for this being how we differentiate the Shelby GT from the GT500, well that is BS! That is NOT how we in the car business do it! For one, WHY? What would the purpose be? Is Shelby GT or SGT sound anything like Shelby GT500 or GT500??? That seems to be and sound pretty different to me!

It has been my opinion that the only reason the term GT350 or baby shelby and now this new term of shelby 300, is nothing but a case of someone being completely uninformed about the product they are selling! Frankly I find it as being an embarrassment to car dealers coming from people that are suppose to be educated and informed about the products they sell!

Since this person claims to be a "national sales trainer" perhaps they are the one responsible for all the sales people out there using the wrong terminology calling these cars something they are not? :hysterical:

Now I think I will go for a ride and drive my Shelby GT800! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Eventually what will set the Shelby GT way apart from the GT500 will be, simply, the rarity. But for now, two few people even know what they are, and that is keeping a lid on the prices. I think at some point they will sell for more than the GT500's, but it'll take probably 15 years for this to play out.

You are absolutely right, not many folks besides the die hard mustang owners know about the Shelby GT, I love it when I can prove some knucklehead wrong when they ask me why am I trying to make a regular GT look like a GT500, then I whip the window sticker and school him about my car....they feel like :censored: after they get schooled nut now they are more informed. Although I thought hard about getting a GT500 these last few weeks I will keep my SGT and I think that instead of dropping damn near $50,000 on a GT500 I think I like the Terlingua mustang much better, no offense to the big boys with the GT500 but after attending the Terlingua event and seen those cars in person SAI have outdone themselves on those, the attention to detail is amazing,from big brakes,shifter,SC,wheels and much more....Vorpl please show some interior pics of your mustang, wait until you folks see his interior....

Um, no disrespect, but if and I say a big IF that ever happens, I will be shocked. Rarity seems to mean nothing anymore. It might have, back in the day, but bottom line, the HP of the GT500 alone will fetch higher dollar, at some point, or at the same point in time you think the SGT will. The SGT just never took off, never a line, never an ADM, never even left most lots.... so I doubt they will be in any more demand in 10-15 or 20 years. I blame it on all the BS surrounding the GT500 limited built, to the Bullet, to the KR, to the SS... Ford just over marketed the Mustang, and all at the same time. That diluted interest and value, in my opinion. But hey, we could ALL be wrong... these could all be worse nothing, or more.

:headscratch::banghead:

I dunno about your guys' SGT's but mine is priceless! You should be bummed that you'll NEVER be able to own SGT1910! As long as i'm alive and can help it!

The expectation that ONE YEAR later and getting MORE for an SGT IS ridiculous. I consider myself to be in pretty good company on this board in that I don't think many of us have high expectations for our SGT's and especially at this point in time! I could have waited another month or two to buy mine, but that's two more months I would have missed driving it!

I keep telling people honestly that in NO WAY do I anticipate that in 20 or 30 years will my SGT be worth anything. It's value will be wrapped up in the shows I put it in, the nights at the drags, the road courses, the times with my kids, etc. And then, if some fool wants to pull the rusted worn out heap from under some sage brush when i'm all said and done with it and pay an ungodly amount of $ for it then I say let him because I will have gotten my $'s worth out of it.

-Respectfully,

Realistic

One more thing....... the REASON you're getting CRAP for your 07 is because as you pointed out they're STILL sitting on the lots rusting their stripes! Until THOSE are gone and people are actually LOOKING for them they're not worth much.

Why don't you do this. Have your buddy call the dealer and tell him he's looking for an 07 SGT. Have him find out where he might get one if they don't have one. I bet the dealer will tell him he'll call him back tomorrow, call the nearest dealer and do a swap saying there's a buyer. You'll be bummed to find out that the dealer in the next zip code over has two of them and will send them right over! And THAT my friend is WHY you're not getting anything for your car!

Hold on to it and try to get rid of it in 2017 and come back and tell us what you got for it! Especially, when everyone is TIRED of driving hybrid/plug in cars and they want to scare the pants off themselves again!

Um, no disrespect, but if and I say a big IF that ever happens, I will be shocked. Rarity seems to mean nothing anymore. It might have, back in the day, but bottom line, the HP of the GT500 alone will fetch higher dollar, at some point, or at the same point in time you think the SGT will. The SGT just never took off, never a line, never an ADM, never even left most lots.... so I doubt they will be in any more demand in 10-15 or 20 years. I blame it on all the BS surrounding the GT500 limited built, to the Bullet, to the KR, to the SS... Ford just over marketed the Mustang, and all at the same time. That diluted interest and value, in my opinion. But hey, we could ALL be wrong... these could all be worse nothing, or more.

Only time will tell. Check back in 15 years!

To the member who says rarity doesn't mean as much today as back then is wrong. Do you think when someone bought a convertible hemi roadrunner back in the day he was saying to himself this thing will be worth money in the future? I think not. Having collected cars for too many years then I care to remember, low production on a popular car such as a mustang will be worth money in the future. If its a Shelby GT or a 1 of 100 6cyl with rare options. It will just take time.

To the member who says rarity doesn't mean as much today as back then is wrong. Do you think when someone bought a convertible hemi roadrunner back in the day he was saying to himself this thing will be worth money in the future? I think not. Having collected cars for too many years then I care to remember, low production on a popular car such as a mustang will be worth money in the future. If its a Shelby GT or a 1 of 100 6cyl with rare options. It will just take time.

WRONG, sort of harsh words unless you have a crystal ball my Friend. Everything is exponential in nature, and these cars are in a MUCH larger field of collectables... and in higher numbers... and unless you are indeed one of those collectors from back when, there is no telling if these cars will be worth the metal they are made of, let alone a small fortune... so if anything, bank or invest your money elsewhere. Just my .02

Actually the SGT's did bring ADM's in the very beginning. Some of them sold for $5K - $10K over. It didn't last very long and sales quickly tanked on them compared to the GT500.

The sales on these had nothing to do with the SS, KR or Bullitt. Those didn't come out until much later and were not known about.

What killed sales on these mostly is lack of HP and ZERO marketing from Ford. This why most people don't know anything about them. The lack of HP was not enough to justify the $5K price difference of the GT500. In the beginning it helped because GT500's were bringing $20K + over and SGT's could be had for MSRP - $5K over making a $20K + price difference a significant difference justifying the price of a SGT. Once GT500's came down sales really tanked on the SGT because most buyers just couldn't justifying paying $5K less than a 500 HP car VS a 319 HP car.

As for future values no one really knows, but if I were to bet on this I would bet my money on the SGT being the one that brings more value as a collector in the future. I say this not because the car is numbered. They are ALL numbered. SGT's are numbered on the dash plaque and GT500's are numbered on the certificates, but they are all numbered. I say the SGT merely because they will be MUCH more limited in numbers. Approx 8,300 total SGT's over two years VS approx 23,000 GT500's over three years with a whole bunch more coming in 2010 and beyond even though the 2010 and beyond will have changes to the styling on them. So we may end up with 50k - 60k GT500's before they are done and only approx 8,300 SGT's.

Remember the Mopar cars? You couldn't GIVE those away back in the day and now look at them. They bring some of the biggest bucks today compared to other collectable muscle cars. I think we may see the same thing with the SGT. Of course this is total speculation because none of us really know if any of these will ever be worth anything 20 - 30 years from now.

Besides, we may not be here by then, especially if we elect the wrong guy this year! :hysterical:

The problem is going to be that until there is a following, and the supply is low, prices will be low. Like the GT500 owners from 2007 that paid 15-20K over for a car that can be had for 40K today there is going to be a drop and MAYBE one day an increase but then SN95 Bullitt owners are still waiting so who knows.

FYI - Even the cars that are the most desireable, GT/SC and the GT500 are not bringing the money people thought they would bring. Check the GT500 forum and you'll see them "start" asking in the high $30's And those are not flying out the doors at all. The stock SGT is now known for its power, or lack there of, and no real big "balls to the walls" hot rodder will buy one for what we paid. However if the car has been SC'd they will bring more $$ and if the car has been SC'd at SAI it will bring even more dollars, but not even close to what everybody paid. So expect the 2007/2008 SGT to to sell in and around $30K+, a 2007/2008 GT/SC around $37K+ and a GT500 around 38K+. It is just they way it is and no one can change that. Maybe in about 25-30 years they will be collectable and bring big $$, but most of us will be graveside by then or too stiff to ride in one!

Archived