TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Shelby

GT NY

I just picked up an '07 Shelby GT (CSM NO. 07SGT5138). I'm a former 2002 Pontiac TransAm WS-6 owner. I must say, aside from the Shelby GT's good looks, I was most impressed by it's launch from 0-60 secs. However, it seemed a bit sluggish once it reached 80-85 MPH. I was wondering, since everything is supposedly identical to the GT-H, where did the 25 horses go. Is it possible to gain those 25 horses back through tuning. I've read the forums and read the information about the Bama chips and was wondering if these chips also work well for the 5-speed version. Also, was wondering if i'd be able to keep the stock intake with the tunes?

Tuning the SGT is easy to do and does wake up the car. I am a Camaro fan with my last one being a 96 Z28 Convert and what you may be feeling is wind resistance. After all the Mustang has never been known for it's areodynamics. You think it's sluggish at 85 try it at 130. You hit an air wall it seems.

Regardless I suggest a tune and gears. I have 4:10's and it completely woke up the car. Be careful of canned tunes as they can advance the timing too much and cause predetonation. I had that problem with the Hypertech. If you do go canned it's best to reflash to a stock Mustang rune first. Currently I run the Hypertech regular tune on top of the SGT tune with premium fuel. No predetonation anymore and the car will scream. I'm going to get back to Quantum a some point and time to get a custom tune though.

One of the good things about Mustangs is there is ton's of aftermarket support for just about anything you want to do. They come from FORD somewhat mediocre but that can easily be changed.

Archived