TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter rebuild

black86glhs

I have enough issues with her, that I have decided to park the beast and start pulling it apart. A pretty good sized list of thing to do.

1) gut interior 2) pull trim and lights 3)inspect body nad make repairs 4) pull suspension and rebuild/refinish 5) pull A-555 and rebuild 6) assemble new engine 7) if I feel like it, redo wiring

I'll be a little busy. Hoping the checkbook doesn't implode.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm....thats sound real familiar, except for the A555. You been reading my mind??? :headscratch:

I'm thinking of upgrading the seat material in mine when it's being done....instead of the old vinyl, thinking of leather...cant see it being any heavier than the vinyl. Another issue is the plastic on the doors by the window wipes (you know, the rubber parts that are made of unobtainium now) are returning to their birth state....small pellets... :censored:

If you see the planets beginning to converge towards the Texas area....just tell me to close my wallet and they'll return to their normal state......

lol at least you guys can find seats and or material to redo them try and find shelby cloth from the 89 shelbys lol its made of platnum or the price indicates it is that is if you can ever find it. then get 10 to 15 people together so you can spend 500 bucks to have the rear bumper cover remade lol. man its great to have a one of 500 car :P

You do have a point on the seats. Just find another L body and you have seats...LOL. I'm going to do the J/C Whitney repair on the belt moldings/window scrapers. It will look stock, but will need to modify the mounting slightly. The inner ones look fine, but the outer ones took the biggest beating. Managed to remove all the rear hatch area trim, carpet and panels. Spare tire, rear seat and a few other pieces went to the storage unit. Going to pull the front seats and carpet, then put the driver seat back so I can move it. Some light rust here and there but the spare tire well was gorgeous! The seam at the rear of the flloor pan is crusty, but not near as bad as a rust belt car usaully is. So far, so good. Already know that I will need a new driver front door, the bottom is already too far gone.

Pictures tomorrow.

lol at least you guys can find seats and or material to redo them try and find shelby cloth from the 89 shelbys lol its made of platnum or the price indicates it is that is if you can ever find it. then get 10 to 15 people together so you can spend 500 bucks to have the rear bumper cover remade lol. man its great to have a one of 500 car :P

:sarcasm on:

Geez...it seems we always here from these 89 guy's belly aching over fabric.....I remember the good Ol days when a chin spoiler meant everything.... :D

:sarcasm off:

You know....I'll seems there's always someone else around to make you realize how good you got it....

Sell them toys greaser.... ;)

lol im realy thinking about it right now i fliped my dirt bike this year and killed the rest of the summer and fall for riding the harley hell i couldint even stand to drive the shelbys for 2 weeks.

edit to indicate i broke my tail bone hence the no riding.

My winter rebuild is going to focus on handling and braking aspects for the GLHS. It's plenty fast but the original 21 year old suspension and brakes are not up to the task of dealing with the rigors of the CS86 Shelby Run II ;) So I've got a deadline for the upgrades. It's going to be a great event and I am planning on representing well for the 80's Shelby's. There is going to be a very well built roadrace 86 S car there as well. Stiff competiton for sure :peelout:

Alan

My winter rebuild is going to focus on handling and braking aspects for the GLHS. It's plenty fast but the original 21 year old suspension and brakes are not up to the task of dealing with the rigors of the CS86 Shelby Run II ;) So I've got a deadline for the upgrades. It's going to be a great event and I am planning on representing well for the 80's Shelby's. There is going to be a very well built roadrace 86 S car there as well. Stiff competiton for sure :peelout:

Alan

Sounds like a challenge to me :burnout:

Might have to step up the new HH 16v project. Amy I need more..... :spend:

Steve

i broke my tail bone hence the no riding.

OUCH......I've thankfully never had to deal with that kinda hell before, but I can only imagine the pain involved with just daily activities (read.."nature calling"), much less riding in a Koni equip'd Shelby..

OUCH......I've thankfully never had to deal with that kinda hell before, but I can only imagine the pain involved with just daily activities (read.."nature calling"), much less riding in a Koni equip'd Shelby..

lol you know it. but the csx does ride nicer than my sgt with the 20s on it.

Update.

I leak tested the car and only found 2 seams that were dripping. Started cleaning up the floor pans for repair(have 16 gauge sheet metal for that). I do know that I need door seals, as that is where most of the water was coming from that made it into the car...lol.

Removed the int shaft bearings, cleaned up the retainer plate and installed a new seal. After I get my new pistons, the block gets prepped.

Going to Indy tomorrow to pick up some charger seats(CS). Road trip!!!

Bryan

• 2 months later...

It has been a long time since I updated this thread. :sos: Lets start with the engine. :lurk: The short block is finished. Stock 2.2 cast crank turned .010" under with new main and rod bearings. Stock common block turbo rods. Forged Wiseco 2.2 standard bore pistons. New sealed power rings. New freeze and oil galley plugs. Modified 2.5 oil pan with baffles. New intermediate shaft bearings. :party2:

Ported cylinder head. I did the porting so it isn't very radical. I'm looking for better airflow and reliability. Will be installing new valve guides and recut the valve seats.

The body work went on hold due to the welder I borrowed wouldn't weld. Yes, I do know how...lol. I am getting one for Christmas, so it will resume on warmer days, if they ever come back. I did recieve some parts I had been looking for from a couple people online. :woot:

On a side note, I rebuilt the 525 that was in the car. I was told it had been rebuilt when I bought the car, however, it was just cobbled together. I'm not installing it in the S, it was more of a practice run for when I rebuild the 555 that is in it. They are so easy to rebuild, it is almost silly.

well I wouldn't use stock rods, or just commen block rods. You need 85 and older or 2.5 turbo to T2 rods. The floating rods are best. Today the best route is the 523 trans. OBX Neon posi, Booger bushings, SRT 4 short shifter, and GLHS Momo shift knob. Looks stock and really works. On the rust I would sand blast it and cover the back side with wood as a temp. Then take it to Rustbusters and they can spray in new floor boards.

525s shatter like glass, don't drive around the block with one.

well I wouldn't use stock rods, or just commen block rods. You need 85 and older or 2.5 turbo to T2 rods. The floating rods are best. Today the best route is the 523 trans. OBX Neon posi, Booger bushings, SRT 4 short shifter, and GLHS Momo shift knob. Looks stock and really works. On the rust I would sand blast it and cover the back side with wood as a temp. Then take it to Rustbusters and they can spray in new floor boards.

525s shatter like glass, don't drive around the block with one.

They are Turbo rods(full floaters, 958's). I already have the 555, so I'm gonna stick with that for right now. Won't have much :spend: after all of this. I wasn't using the 525, I just rebuilt it for practice. Very cheap to do. :dreamy:

They are Turbo rods(full floaters, 958's). I already have the 555, so I'm gonna stick with that for right now. Won't have much :spend: after all of this. I wasn't using the 525, I just rebuilt it for practice. Very cheap to do. :dreamy:
Here are a couple pictures of the cylinder head after the porting and valve job.

h1.JPG

h2.JPG

h3.JPG

h1.JPG

h2.JPG

h3.JPG

Nice wrinkle black! Powdercoated in your oven? You gonna macine the lettering and fins now?
It's the VHT wrinkle paint, not powder coated. I'm going to leave it like this. I'm going to do the intake this way, also.

NICE work so far looking great !! Did you bench flow the head yet?......Whats your time frame to have it back up and running? :shift:

Robb

Proud OSDAC Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434

I didn't bench flow it. I did some research and looked at what others had done. I'm also going to open up the the intakes a little. Mainly just gasket matching. I still have to pull the old engine and trans out so I can rebuild the A-555. Hoping to have it back together around april. I still have to do some floor pan work.

Thanks guys for the compliments.

I am so so happy the car is in the right hands ... You are doing a great service...... Most of the guys I know didn't BF the heads after ports.. and had great results.. That stupid seam sealer MaMopar used on the L bodys and others really makes for a mess... My 83 SC ,my 82 Charger 2.2 and my old 85 SC all rusted under the seams due to moisture getting in... Lucky that the Turismo never seen a winter.........so no issues that way.... after you are all done ..you should POR15 the floors..... anyhow...awesome stuff....... :shift: keep it real... Make Carroll proud!!! :dance:

Robb

Proud OSDAC Member/Forum Mod

• 1 month later...

I decided to wait until I had a few things done to post about instead of a bunch of smaller posts.

I ported the head a little and as seen in the other post about intake porting, I ported the upper and lower(slightly).

I stripped and repainted the plenum and valve cover with black wrinkle paint. I scuffed and painted a few of the brackets just to make them look better. Made a simple block off plate for the egr from 1/4" flat stock.

Started pulling the 525 back apart to scavenge for parts. Just the bearings and moly plate. I used it for practice to see what the 555 would be like. Piece of cake.

I have "bumperettes" for the rear bumper(they were missing) and new parking brake cables for it. Maybe in a couple months I'll get some new control arm bushings for it.

Oh yeah, here are some engine pics.

100_0211.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0213.jpg

100_0214.jpg

100_0211.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0213.jpg

100_0214.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok you Shelby people, I'm back for a small update.

Only the engine block is left under the hood, drivetrain wise. Both axles shafts, intermediate shaft and both lower control arms are out. The trans came out on Saturday and is already apart awaiting new diff bearings and moly plate. It was in pretty good shape otherwise(surprised and pleased). I'll pull the K-frame and clean it up here in the next couple of weeks, now that my welder is up and running. The control arms will get some new bushings(Polybushings) and a long 1 piece pass axle will replace the intermediate shaft setup. Pics to follow for those interested. :drool:

555_after.JPG

555_before.JPG

555shaft.JPG

diff_bearing_race.JPG

glhs_driver_front.JPG

no_trans.JPG

glhs_pass_front.JPG

Archived