TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oh No...........it's back.

shelbymotorsports

it sure looks nice in the stills much better than the last time it came up for auction. (a little buffing can go a long way)

Yes at first glance I thought he repainted the car but upon closer inspection I saw the same white paint showing thru in all the same areas as before. I'm guessing the Shelby repaint was a single stage paint job so a little buffing did go a long way.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Robert

I recall that Motor Trend issue and have it in storage. I don't remember all the details but there is no way a 100% stock 1989 CSX will do 148mph so either the "test car" was modified or were they using a 1990 car? I'll try to dig up the magazine.

Steve

PS- I don't know about the rest of you but going 148mph in a P body kind of makes me nervous just thinking about it. A roll cage and 5 point harness might make me feel a little better.

They said nothing bad about it at speed. They only mentioned it would hit the suspention stops. Some of the other cars they said were a bit scary at that speed such as the Mustang. The Mustang they said was all over the place and the Trans Am as well.

When I used to own the '89 CSX I sold to Jeff, I had the opportunity to stretch it's legs a bit. It was a bone stock, low mile car in very good condition. I ran it up to 135+, it was still accelerating(albeit slowly) and actually felt pretty stable at those speeds.

Having recently returned from the Bullrun event in Terlingua with my P body, It is indeed a white knuckler.

Here's the article. They have the CSX on radar doing the 148mph but I can not tell from the pics which CSX they used or if it was a "ringer" car. Pretty impressive compared to the other cars.

Not all of us live in congested cities. In Spokane WA I am very close to Montana and take highway 93 and 318 in NV to Vegas to visit family as well. 2 things come to mind when reading about these cars on forums thats nuts. First, any intercooled Shelby Dodge can run 150, second is the idea of a "modded" VNT. I tried to own a 89 CSX with JUST a STOCK 2.5. Right, thats way too much air for the turbo and the computer can't handle it. The idea of a ported head or anything like that on a VNT car is just laughable, the turbo can't handle any more VE than a stock 2.2.

Is the car safe at those speeds question. Well the CSX I own is very nice BUT, the steering is scary. The car is a short wheel base car with 14:1 steering. One jolt of the wheel and your in the weeds at those speeds. Second is my 86 GLHS. Top speed should be considered 115 MPH. As soon as my car hits 5,500 RPM the tires spin maddly as the front end is off the ground. God for bid you pass some guy on a Harley in one going that fast, the wake of wind would blow him 100 ft off the road. The 87 GLHS? No dout the BEST Shelby for speed, and the Shelby Dodge record holder. That car with the 3.05 ring and pinion A525 is breath taking, and super stable. The CSX "dances" at 140 and is not real happy. The rev limiter is 6,450 stock and 7,200 with a MP computer.

Could the MT car have mods? Shelby did talk about "burning chips". But the best way to get more is the leave the car bone stock and add FWDs stage 4 computer. 16 PSI, 3 bar map and +20 injectors for more fuel. I have never heard of Shelbys people EVER adding a 3 bar or bigger injectors. Both required for more boost and fuel. Any VE changes with exhaust or engine mods are just not possible on a VNT engine. Also remember that all the Shelby Daytonas (intercooled) were rated for 148 with an IC, I love the old Goodyear tires ad with the 87 Daytona.

On the speed note our hobby here is really at a loss with history. It is always easy to dig up the V8 history. But when I dig for the Shelby Dodge stuff it goes dry. I would like to know all about Scott Harveys cars on the salt. Where is all his history hiding? The G/production 171 MPH run in 1985 in an SC. I read about it in Car Craft, but no more info. Years ago in 1991 a SC went 207 one way and averaged 196. It held the record till a year ago when a Honda finally beat it. Where is the history on that car? It was said to be 16v. Being an engineer for Shelby Scott Harvey must have left a large pile of info some where. It would be a great day for us when the info makes it to the surface. All I have is Bruce Hertels phone # in Medford OR. But he didn't know what Scott was up to. These guys went to the salt on there own time, like the Ramchargers and it would be nice to know there story.

Rob

Archived