TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake or KR???

txcobra

KR or SS?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If Present value were equal, which would you choose?

• The 725hp Super Snake and the Cash Difference
    • The KR
    • Other - (Please add comments)

OK Team Shelby, what is your opinion here? Let's just say you won a contest and you could get a brand new KR or a 725HP Super Snake and some cash. Now I add the cash part only to try to make this hypothetical situation at equal present value. I am seeing KR's with "Buy it Now" prices of right at $100K, so we know that is a real world price for anyone that has the dough. Let's just say the Super Snake is $85K. I am seeing lots of ebay MSRP deals, let's assume $48K for the car, 32K for the conversion and 5K for transportation and other costs. Now I know we could argue the specifics of what the car, conversion options and transportation costs could be, but I think $100K and $85K are fairly reasonable cost estimates for the KR and SS respectively. Whatever the cost, let's just assume that the details of this contest say you get whatever real world difference back in cash between the KR and SS.

So which would you choose and why?

Some of you have already made this decision, some would choose neither, but I am interested the opinions of those that would choose (or have chosen) one of these and why you would pick one over the other.

With so many different reasons people Love there cars, it certainly would be a difficult decision for most to make. I on the other hand know exactly what I need and thats the need for speed. Hands down 725hp Super Snake and you can keep the cash.

With no cash involved, i'd go KR.

Give me a car AND cash?...gotta go SS.

I guess another way to think about it is to suppose you were given $85K to be used only toward either a KR or an SS. If you had to come up with $15-20K to get the KR (because of ADM's) or $0 additional for the SS, would you still go with the SS?

I am just trying to get opinions about which way folks would go if they could buy one or the other...seems like it would take about $100 to buy a KR today or $80-85 to buy a Snake...

Please keep the votes coming and more comments please!

i would choose the super snake hands down and take the spare cash.why?

well i have seen both cars in person and i hate to say this but the super snake just looks so much nastier!

also its got all that additional HP under the hood and it drew a crowd around the car that is unheard of at a cruise in.

by the way the super snake i saw was red with the black stripe and the guy had the non warrantable 725 HP option. :snake:

the KR i saw in person was silver with the blue stripe,yes i had a good look at the car and it was nice but not enough extra ponies over my gt 500 for all that extra :spend: but it is more limited in production.

conclusion--after seeing a super snake in person it just blew me away how beautifully the car was put together and man all that power it has is what dreams are made of :shift:

conclusion--after seeing a super snake in person it just blew me away how beautifully the car was put together and man all that power it has is what dreams are made of :shift:

Well said. I felt the exact same way after seeing several in person in Vegas and at the Dearborn meet! Meanwhile, my local dealer has a Red coupe begging to be snaked and a Silver KR on the showroom floor!!

No-brainer for me -- Super Snake, hands down!

The KR is a gorgeous car, and seeing several in person in Dearborn confirmed that, but it's just not enough horsepower for the money. If they'd put in the TVS blower for 605hp, I might reconsider.

Plus, with the SS you can get any color you want, and I think it just looks meaner looking. And the sound of the 725hp Kenne Bell is AMAZING!

This is the very decision I had to make.

My out of state dealer offered me their KR allocation for 15k over, at the time MSRP was unknown, or a red coupe they had at MSRP that I would SS. Marji and I went to Vegas just to see Gary's red SS in person. Well it took about 2 seconds after John W. drove the SS out for me to decide.

The SS has a better over all look to it. She looks faster and meaner just sitting there. So, while sitting in John's office I called my dealer and purchased the red coupe and gave John the 10k deposit for the SS.

Did I make the correct choice?

You bet I did.

If your not concerned about having the title KR or SS, the very best value is a GT500 with upgraded suspension and blower, IMO. I think the extra 20K savings over the period of ownership goes a long way. Not knocking the SS or KR because they are Great machines and for some people that's the only way to go.

Edit: since the original question was hypothetical and we are in the 2007-2009 GT500 Thread.

If your not concerned about having the title KR or SS, the very best value is a GT500 with upgraded suspension and blower, IMO. I think the extra 20K savings over the period of ownership goes a long way. Not knocking the SS or KR because they are Great machines and for some people that's the only way to go.

Edit: since the original question was hypothetical and we are in the 2007-2009 GT500 Thread.

That's what I was thinking. Unless you're looking for the collectable value down the road, can't you pretty much Super Snake your car for half of what SA charges? I realize it's not an authorized SS but I guess it depends if you are looking for pure performance or pure performance with authentification.

On side note. A friend of a friend got his car SS'd and received it a few weeks ago. He rolled it off the truck and would not even start it. Rolled it into his garage, covered it up and has yet to start it. Money well spent I'd say :shrug:

KR, it's the only pretitled Shelby other then the SGT.

So far.

Gentlemen,

Shelby Automobiles is in business to make money by building cars. The KR is not a one shot deal. After the KR there will be another special Shelby Mustang, and after that one, another and another and another. Shelby Automobiles is set up to survive Mr. Shelby and will be building special Mustangs for years to come. When the GT500 came out people were paying $20,000 premiums over MSRP because they thought the supply of these cars would be limited forever. They were wrong. Today people are paying huge premiums for the KR because "there's only going to be 1000 of them"...... oh wait, "plus 568 more next year"..... oh wait, "plus the next special edition after the KR" plus, plus, plus. Will be KR still bring a huge price premium a couple years down the road when it's just one of several special edition GT500s that have been built? Add to this the 40th anniversary GT500s (yeah I know, they are post title), the GT500 Super Snakes, the Shelby GTs and GT/SCs, and on and on. Shelby Automobiles is a successful company and in order to stay that way they need to continue building and selling cars, that's how they make a living. Paying a huge premium to buy a product that will continue to be produced in some form or other believing that the premium you paid will continue to add value to your car in the future is probably not a wise financial move. Wait a couple years and you'll be able to buy a KR with a couple thousand miles on it for under $80,000, or pay the premium and get one now. That premium simply shortens your wait time. How soon do you want it?

Chip

So far.

Gentlemen,

Shelby Automobiles is in business to make money by building cars. The KR is not a one shot deal. After the KR there will be another special Shelby Mustang, and after that one, another and another and another. Shelby Automobiles is set up to survive Mr. Shelby and will be building special Mustangs for years to come. When the GT500 came out people were paying $20,000 premiums over MSRP because they thought the supply of these cars would be limited forever. They were wrong. Today people are paying huge premiums for the KR because "there's only going to be 1000 of them"...... oh wait, "plus 568 more next year"..... oh wait, "plus the next special edition after the KR" plus, plus, plus. Will be KR still bring a huge price premium a couple years down the road when it's just one of several special edition GT500s that have been built? Add to this the 40th anniversary GT500s (yeah I know, they are post title), the GT500 Super Snakes, the Shelby GTs and GT/SCs, and on and on. Shelby Automobiles is a successful company and in order to stay that way they need to continue building and selling cars, that's how they make a living. Paying a huge premium to buy a product that will continue to be produced in some form or other believing that the premium you paid will continue to add value to your car in the future is probably not a wise financial move. Wait a couple years and you'll be able to buy a KR with a couple thousand miles on it for under $80,000, or pay the premium and get one now. That premium simply shortens your wait time. How soon do you want it?

Chip

I agree with you 100%, I'll wait it out.

I agree with you 100%, I'll wait it out.

i agree with chip too about the waiting game of the shelby cars coming down in price but shelby is getting up there in age and what happens after he is gone? only time will tell if the company will be as strong without him.

i hate to mention the fact that shelby is up there in age and might not be with us that much longer as i wish he can stick around another 20 years but what will the case be after he is gone.

1--- will all the shelby cars go up in value?

2--- will ford still continue to produce shelby products?

3--- will shelby industries be as strong without the main man?

the current shelby cars will live on and it will be interesting to see the future but it just makes me wonder how the deal is between Ford and Shelby when Carroll is gone. :headscratch:

NOTE: these are just observations and in no way do i mean to disrespect carroll shelby :blush:

what will the case be after he is gone.

1--- will all the shelby cars go up in value?

2--- will ford still continue to produce shelby products?

3--- will shelby industries be as strong without the main man?

the current shelby cars will live on and it will be interesting to see the future but it just makes me wonder how the deal is between Ford and Shelby when Carroll is gone. :headscratch:

NOTE: these are just observations and in no way do i mean to disrespect carroll shelby :blush:

1---No, as Shelbys will continue to be produced.

2---Yes, an agreement is in place to continue to produce Shelbys if that happens.

3---Carroll is a living legend and not replaceable. He is America's Enzo Ferrari. But Ferrari has continued to grow and prosper after the death of its founder.

The deal between Ford and Shelby when Carroll is gone is for Ford to continue producing Shelby products.

Chip

Here are my choices:

1) 2008 KR, since this will be the 40th anniversay verssion and limited to around 1500 units.

2) 2007 40th anniversay with SS power.

3) Mod any GT500 to out perform a SS for 1/2 the price.

I think the SS would be my 4th option. I think it is a great car, but, if you can have the same kind of handling, braking and power for 1/2 the price; then, and specially in our current economic climate, a moded GT500 appeals more to me. Also, I see little "limited" production value on the SS. By the time this is all over, there will be thousands of them. If I could own one of each, I would. And, there isn't a wide gap in each of my options. SS IS a great looking and desirable vehicle, no doubt about that.

Agree with Chip that history has already proven that one is foolish to think that any particular model is truly "limited production" simply because the manufacturer says so. The only thing that truly limits production is the number of potential buyers.

Having digressed a bit.....given the choice between the SS & KR - even for equal money I'd take the SS. I've seen them both in person & the SS is the much nicer car & makes no attempt to hide that it's all about performance. No offense intended to KR owners - but I'll take the SS.

Archived