TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TPMS disable

Does anyone know how to disconnect the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on a 2008 Shelby so the tire doesn't show on the dash? I installed 20" Shelby Mags and the pick-ups went with the original mags.

I don't know how to disable the system, but you can get replacements (which is what I did whe nI went to 20" razors and ended up with a couple spares). You also can put one sensor in a pressurized container (people have been making them out of pvc and a valve stem). If you need a sensor / sender, I could sell you one cheap. Let me know.

John(;-)

I don't know how to disable the system, but you can get replacements (which is what I did whe nI went to 20" razors and ended up with a couple spares). You also can put one sensor in a pressurized container (people have been making them out of pvc and a valve stem). If you need a sensor / sender, I could sell you one cheap. Let me know.

John(;-)

WILL JUST ONE WORK IN A TUBE. IF SO HOW MUCH FOR ONE.

Check with Rick Yates (pottdr). He, long ago, changed out his stock wheels and solved this problem by creating a PVC tube that he pressurized and carried in the truck. That seemed to satisfy the computer. But he did not have sensors on his wheels. If you are going to keep the sensors on the wheels and want to disable them, I do not know how to do that one. Still, check with Rick and, if anyone knows, he will. Good luck.

Jim

WILL JUST ONE WORK IN A TUBE. IF SO HOW MUCH FOR ONE.

My understanding (when I was trying to figure out what to do after bringing my razors to get mounted and then being informed about the TPMS system) from reading a lot of forums was that some people would construct a put out of pvc, put 1 sender in it with a valve stem, pressurize it to the same as a tire and then throw it in the trunk. I ended up getting a new set (and ended up with spares). I also bought the reprogramming tool so that the new senders in the tires / on the wheels would not send a fault to the computer. For the 1st 50 miles, I didn't even have to reprogram them. Then I got a fault and re-programed them according to the directions. No more faults, and I have switched back and form between the original set from my sgt-c and the razors. The new sender in the tube would also have to therefore be taught / re-programed, which is a simple 2 minute job with the key fob looking tool. I have been told that any ford dealer can reprogram the tpms modules for you, but I found the tool on ebay for ~$30 (there is one for ~$22 right now). I have 3 that are ready to used (sell for ~$15 each) and one that has a partially broken ear / mounting tab that may prevent it from being mounted in the saddle and strap on a wheel (sell for ~$10) but is supposedly fully functional otherwise. The prices are much less than I paid and a whole lot less than ford wants for new ones. They would all need to be re trained to your car's computer. The single tpms in a tube is what I have heard will work. It makes sense to me, but I wanted to know if I was getting a flat so I got 4 tpms module, 4 bands and 4 saddles. Please do your own research to verify what I found. I can NOT guarentee that what I was told is 100% accurate because I did not try it. I just offer it as a suggestion because (no matter where you get the spare tpms module) it seems like a good (cost effective), possibley safer than messing with wiring or the computer alternative if you do not care about what the tpms system is actually telling you. YMMV.

John(;-)

My understanding (when I was trying to figure out what to do after bringing my razors to get mounted and then being informed about the TPMS system) from reading a lot of forums was that some people would construct a put out of pvc, put 1 sender in it with a valve stem, pressurize it to the same as a tire and then throw it in the trunk. I ended up getting a new set (and ended up with spares). I also bought the reprogramming tool so that the new senders in the tires / on the wheels would not send a fault to the computer. For the 1st 50 miles, I didn't even have to reprogram them. Then I got a fault and re-programed them according to the directions. No more faults, and I have switched back and form between the original set from my sgt-c and the razors. The new sender in the tube would also have to therefore be taught / re-programed, which is a simple 2 minute job with the key fob looking tool. I have been told that any ford dealer can reprogram the tpms modules for you, but I found the tool on ebay for ~$30 (there is one for ~$22 right now). I have 3 that are ready to used (sell for ~$15 each) and one that has a partially broken ear / mounting tab that may prevent it from being mounted in the saddle and strap on a wheel (sell for ~$10) but is supposedly fully functional otherwise. The prices are much less than I paid and a whole lot less than ford wants for new ones. They would all need to be re trained to your car's computer. The single tpms in a tube is what I have heard will work. It makes sense to me, but I wanted to know if I was getting a flat so I got 4 tpms module, 4 bands and 4 saddles. Please do your own research to verify what I found. I can NOT guarentee that what I was told is 100% accurate because I did not try it. I just offer it as a suggestion because (no matter where you get the spare tpms module) it seems like a good (cost effective), possibley safer than messing with wiring or the computer alternative if you do not care about what the tpms system is actually telling you. YMMV.

John(;-)

Thanks for the info John

I purchased a set of TPMS sensors on ebay that I installed with my CS69's, paid 60 bucks for them.

As far as the PVC pipe:

1. get a piece of pipe a foot long or so, (2 inch will work, make sure you use Sch. 40 pipe not DWV they will be marked)

2. get two end caps, ( make sure these are sch. 40 also)

3. get pvc cleaner, primer, and glue,

4. get drill and 3/8 bit, (check your valve stem for proper size bit)

5. get valve stem,

6. glue one cap on the end of the pipe,

8. drill 3/8 hole in pipe,

9. install valve stem in pipe (pull through hole in pipe),

10. place TPMS sensor in pipe,

11. Glue on other end cap, (VERY IMPRTANT let glue dry before pressurization),

12. fill to 35 psi with air/nitrogen. (be carefull, you are using a small container it will not take much to get it to 35 psi).

-Chris

I purchased a set of TPMS sensors on ebay that I installed with my CS69's, paid 60 bucks for them.

As far as the PVC pipe:

1. get a piece of pipe a foot long or so, (2 inch will work, make sure you use Sch. 40 pipe not DWV they will be marked)

2. get two end caps, ( make sure these are sch. 40 also)

3. get pvc cleaner, primer, and glue,

4. get drill and 3/8 bit, (check your valve stem for proper size bit)

5. get valve stem,

6. glue one cap on the end of the pipe,

8. drill 3/8 hole in pipe,

9. install valve stem in pipe (pull through hole in pipe),

10. place TPMS sensor in pipe,

11. Glue on other end cap, (VERY IMPRTANT let glue dry before pressurization),

12. fill to 35 psi with air/nitrogen. (be carefull, you are using a small container it will not take much to get it to 35 psi).

-Chris

Archived