TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vette/Chevy people bashing my car

rsfdiver

I love this car! Wouldn't get anything else first.

Everywhere i go someone has to say it ain't as fast as a Z06 or vette of some type.

When I was a kid i wrecked cars I loved in the past trying to prove my car was worthy.

Just a natural instinct I guess.

Now I just smile at a challenging Corvette and wave them on cause I don't want to wreck again over

testosterone driven street races.

Right now I have a JLT/Metco 2.6" stage 2.

12.32 sec 1/4 mile stock tires @ 116 mph 2.1 sec 60' time ( :( )

Can't really afford to do the EVO 8 second car thing right now heh heh

though bang for the buck I imagine it's still cheaper than

buying a corvette worth it's salt.

I don't see to many corvettes at the track on test and tune night.

Don't know allot about newer corvettes, and am a ford/dodge fan.

So I am looking for a little love/ammunition here.

Your opinions, knowledge and support would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

In some respects, they're right. I've always said the z06 is a better performing car in every way. It's lighter, has a better weight balance, better power to weight ratio and such. However, just look at our car. It's beautiful - a real classic. They feel the same way and I think you/we experience some jealousy here. And we have 4 seats and a trunk. The vette is good looking in its own way too, but even the vette owners love our car. It hurts them to say so sometimes. So it comes out as a nasty comment - "mine is faster than yours". Just smile and say "thank you".

I had one Vette friend hounding me for a friendly spirited run. Well, we finally had a go at it and he was impressed with my car.

Most guys I run into are regular car guys with nothing to prove. Any car can be made to go fast so what's the point? I don't have to be the fastest car, and to be quite frank, I don't want to. I just like to drive my car and enjoy it at my own pace.

You need to stop hanging around arrogant people and go find yourself a few "car guys".

A couple other observations - this can work more ways than one.

A local Mustang Club here is run by County cops. A lot of the cops are also Corvette owners. The local Vette Club and the Mustang club get along really well and attend many functions together side by side. I was surprised. Car guys just appreciating each others pride and joy.

However, I've also found within Mustang club itself there can be certain jealousies. It seems there's a need by some to have the best specimen and don't exactly welcome what they perceive as a threat to their standing. I was surprised by this as well - I thought all Mustang owners would appreciate all Mustangs. So - it's not the cars - it's the people.

Also keep in mind that there are other factors besides head to head performance numbers. If you want to deflate a vette owners ego a little, park next to a Z06 at any car gathering, sit down and watch how many people will gravatate towards the Shelby and how few look at the Corvette that's parked right next to it.

I did that a couple of times just as a personal social experiment and on one occiason, the Z06 owner moved his car and parked it about 10 spots away from mine.

I just smiled and gave him a thumbs up; but for some reason he didn't smile back. :hysterical:

hi guys,i have owned a couple of corvettes. a 1965 396 roadster and the current 2002 vette i have now.

even though i have a vette i do not hang out with vette owners, WHY-- they are the most arrogant self centered car owners in the world, its a corvette or nothing in there books. i am not saying there all like this but most of them are.

i was invited to many gatherings with corvette owners and just could not put up with there bull :censored: anymore.

another note-- i just cant see how someone can compare a gt 500 (muscle car) to a corvette (sports car) anyways, they are two totally different breeds of cars.

also as someone mentioned on this thread before. i have been going to some mustang meets in the past two summers and i also noticed that there is much envy and jelousy over the gt 500 from guys that own cobras and mustangs. they kinda look at the car from a distance and have a smirk on there face :P

:bowdown:

Yeah, vette guys (and gals) get kinda uppity ever now and then.....they're just in a bad mood because they have to crawl in and out of those rough riding, prone to fiberglass cracking, looking under trucks, sports cars. Heck, if I wanted to do that, I'd drive my son's Fiat (which, by the way, gets nearly as many double takes as a good clean vette does)! I (and you) didn't buy a sports car, we bought a muscle car--or as some have put it, a grand touring car, more along the lines of a Aston Martin or Maserati--where the Vette is more along the lines of a Lotus or TVR.......

Just my esteemed $.02 worth!

Against a standard LS2 or LS3 C6 you should edge them out if they are stock and both drivers are of equal skill level.

You won't touch a Z06. There are Z06's that have been shown to run 10's bone stock on street tires. The Z06 is absolutely the greatest value in high performance cars because the only way to equal or best one in performance, balance, braking, and cornering... is to spend another $30k over the price of a Z06.

But the Shelby and the Z06 are intended for different purposes for different drivers. No real reason to compare them honestly.

And I thought I was the only one who experienced this jealous envy. In my area, it is predominately Chevy trucks and GM products on the road. It is truly disgusting the attitude these people exhibit toward the Shelby. I mean, it borders on hate. I get looks from some of these jerks shaking their heads with this look of hatred on their faces. Hell, even on post here at the Fort, neighbors turn their heads when I drive by. But if I'm driving my Explorer or the wife's Toyota, they smile and wave. And Kincobra, you're also right about the Cobra and GT owners. I usually try to give them a wave thinking there is a bond between us, but they too turn thir heads. I, personally, love all American classics and show my appreciation when it is appropriate. I guess I'm just too mature for a lot of these clowns. You try to ignore them, but sometimes they won't let you. What do you do? I know what I'm going to do, keep driving and smilin'.

And Kincobra, you're also right about the Cobra and GT owners. I usually try to give them a wave thinking there is a bond between us, but they too turn thir heads. I, personally, love all American classics and show my appreciation when it is appropriate. I guess I'm just too mature for a lot of these clowns. You try to ignore them, but sometimes they won't let you. What do you do? I know what I'm going to do, keep driving and smilin'.

hey mark keep your head up,its a short life. like you said "keep :shift: + :) and hang out with your true friends.

i amm like you that i like all the american classics but some people are just stubborn and stuck in there ways. the best part of life is trying different flavours :drool: cheers :beerchug:

Well to be blunt,The LS3 Corvette is a really good deal on a super fine car for the money.BUT,I have owned an 07' LS2 6 speed manual Vette.Very cool car,lotsa potential but the hatred you recieve in a Vette is way beyond what amounts to the very little verbal or otherwise I recieve in the Shelby.

I'm not trying to one up you on being hated more but I have never received so many midlife crisis,I'm 38 and don't think I'm elligible yet,Penis size,Again not going there I'm doing fine,Etc.I think that these owners turn into pricks after all of the BS they have to put up with and then get overshadowed by a car with 4 seats. :hysterical:

I get more nose up in the air action from new edge(99-04)people than any other Mustang owners,The good thing is I could care less about your uncles,Neighbors Grandfathers car that could beat mine.Usually the crappiest comments from people are followed by me asking if we could go check out their car.Then we find out they haven't even driven any of the cars mentioned and are pimping a Hyundai in hopes of that (Insert the better car here) someday.

Screw the haters,They come from all automotive backgrounds.Keep on :shift: and smiling!

I like the corvette well enough, had a little sleep today, read the replies so far and, thank you, I am back on track.

I went to visit/support a friend of mine, and look at cool cars, at a little once a month car show. He was there in his old 59 for pick-up he fixed up. When I pulled in the lot there was a table with the administrators sitting signing people in and they asked if I wanted to enter

they signed me up and I parked. There were some great classics and some newer and new Corvettes there too. They were really nice.

But as was mentioned before I got the most attention. Hood up engine running I gunned it for some curious people. Made em jump.

I brought the trophy 'Best In Show home showed it to my wife and put it in the barn with my car. 1 car show 1 car show win though completely unintentional. :) I felt kind of guilty about it heh heh.

Guest markham51
Also keep in mind that there are other factors besides head to head performance numbers. If you want to deflate a vette owners ego a little, park next to a Z06 at any car gathering, sit down and watch how many people will gravatate towards the Shelby and how few look at the Corvette that's parked right next to it.

I did that a couple of times just as a personal social experiment and on one occiason, the Z06 owner moved his car and parked it about 10 spots away from mine.

I just smiled and gave him a thumbs up; but for some reason he didn't smile back. :hysterical:

I looove to park beside Vettes! I think it shows a little "in your face" and at the same time shows them how nice these cars really are up close. I have a Vette and they are nice.....but I still like to have a bit of fun with the Chevy guys. But its good natured fun, not I think you drive a POS fun. Car owners can be cool on either side if the fence. One of the biggest idiots I ever met was a Shelby GT500 guy at a local NC car show, nobody here of course.

I'm never ashamed to wear the Blue Oval on my jacket.

i love the z06 and it is probably the best bang for your buck car on the planet.70k for a car that will run with ferraris porsches etc but i loved the 405 horse z06 back in the day and i have noticed that it already looks dated and cheap.which sucks for 5-6 year old car.the gt500 will look great in 15 20 even 30 years it is just a better looking car holds its value better and is pretty darn fast as well.you see 10-15 vettes everyday and most people cant tell the difference from the stock and the z06 but when you see the shelby it immediately screams that it is something special.screw those guys give me a shelby any day and they probably feel the sam way.

here is a true story. i kept bugging my buddy to order a 2007 shelby gt 500 back in 2005 and he kept humming and awing what he was going to do so i went ahead and did my contract with the dealer and he did not.

my buddy lost touch of what was going on with my car and its release/photos and info as he just lost interest.we both got busy in our lifes and did not see eachother for awhile.

out of the blue one day i see a yellow Z06 pull up on my drive way and say to myself,"who the hell is that" of course it turns out to be my buddy that bought the corvette that day and he came by to see me right after he got it from the dealer. i congratulated him and i then told him a got my shelby a few months back.he then asked me to have a looksie at my shelby,up went the garage door and down went his jaw! his first words where,"oh my god is that ever mean and awesome looking,i should have listened to you Danny". :happy feet: :club: this is from a guy that just bought a new ZO6 that day.

to this day my buddy regrets buying the vette and keeps saying "i should have listened to you danny". :hysterical::confused:

My best piece of advice: move to Australia with your GT500 :)

Everyone seems to love them here! The stares and positive comments from complete strangers who own classics, new cars, family cars, sports cars and everything in between is incredible! I haven't encounted any hatred or jealousy from anyone.

My best piece of advice: move to Australia with your GT500 :)

Everyone seems to love them here! The stares and positive comments from complete strangers who own classics, new cars, family cars, sports cars and everything in between is incredible! I haven't encounted any hatred or jealousy from anyone.

Sounds like a great place with even better people.

I was at the track (road course) on Friday for the first time since I got my car back from Griggs. There were probably 20-25 Corvettes running the track that day, there were also some GT350's, Fox Bodies, SN95's and GT & SGT S197's, but there was only one GT500. I talked with dozens of people about my car, some Corvette owners as well.

In my run group there were 3 Corvettes, a WRX STI, a couple of 911's, a Fox Mustang, a Roush SN95, a 300ZX TT and a smattering of rice (Toys, Nissans and Hondas), I was the second fastest in my group, the fastest was a 2007 Z06 with a cammed LS7 running on Hoosier R6's, those cars can really fly on the track with just a few mods. The Z06 driver and I talked a couple of times, nice guy, former Marine a year out after several tours in the Middle East.

You gotta give credit where credit is due, the Z06 is an impressive sports car and a worthy and appropriate match-up to the Ford GT, but it's not a worthy and appropriate match-up to the GT500 IMO, though many would like you to believe that it is...

I'm waiting for the 2010 Camaro to start showing up at the track, and hopefully the new Challanger will come out to play as well. If AMC was still in business the AMX might still be in production, now wouldn't that really be like the old days.

I was at the track (road course) on Friday for the first time since I got my car back from Griggs. There were probably 20-25 Corvettes running the track that day, there were also some GT350's, Fox Bodies, SN95's and GT & SGT S197's, but there was only one GT500. I talked with dozens of people about my car, some Corvette owners as well.

In my run group there were 3 Corvettes, a WRX STI, a couple of 911's, a Fox Mustang, a Roush SN95, a 300ZX TT and a smattering of rice (Toys, Nissans and Hondas), I was the second fastest in my group, the fastest was a 2007 Z06 with a cammed LS7 running on Hoosier R6's, those cars can really fly on the track with just a few mods. The Z06 driver and I talked a couple of times, nice guy, former Marine a year out after several tours in the Middle East.

You gotta give credit where credit is due, the Z06 is an impressive sports car and a worthy and appropriate match-up to the Ford GT, but it's not a worthy and appropriate match-up to the GT500 IMO, though many would like you to believe that it is...

I'm waiting for the 2010 Camaro to start showing up at the track, and hopefully the new Challanger will come out to play as well. If AMC was still in business the AMX might still be in production, now wouldn't that really be like the old days.

Nice Job> You are 100% correct.

If all the vett owner had Shelby's, I wouldn't want one. I'm sure we all appreciate that the numbers on our cars is very low.Helps with value, Right

I also have been drag racing my car a few times this summer and have yet to see a vett there, except older one's with very big horsepower. I have vett guys telling me they are faster, but they keep ther car in the garage.

Archived