TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil change?

dtgoods

How many new cars don`t get sold & sit outside in different enviroments for 6 months ,do you think the dealer changes the oil ? I think not. 300 miles on Syn oil will not break done but I think the concern wouldbe the amount H2O in the oil.Then again its only a few quarts of oil.

Just wondering if you would change the oil in my gt500 before I put it away for the winter? I have put 300 miles on it this summer and the oil was changed last year before it was put away for storage. It has the ford synthetic oil in it. Thanks for your thoughts.

I would still follow the 6 month rule oil change.......

If you wont drive it any until spring I would wait and change oil and filter at that time...........

Mine gets put away for the winter also but I still start and run it for about 10-15 minutes every 2 weeks.

Keeps everything lubricated.

Exactly, but be sure to let it run up to operating coolant temp before shutting off........

15 minutes should do it..........

Here's an idea: Drive your car!

Seriously, I would not change out 6.5 qts of synthetic oil just cuz 6 mos had elapsed. I would probably go 1 year. But, I would never let a car sit undriven (or even just a start up and idle) for any period of time. To ensure no condensation sits in the crankcase or exhaust I would give it a good 30 mins of driving. Sitting cannot be good for the tires either. Or various engine seals. JMO

Here's an idea: Drive your car!

Seriously, I would not change out 6.5 qts of synthetic oil just cuz 6 mos had elapsed. I would probably go 1 year. But, I would never let a car sit undriven (or even just a start up and idle) for any period of time. To ensure no condensation sits in the crankcase or exhaust I would give it a good 30 mins of driving. Sitting cannot be good for the tires either. Or various engine seals. JMO

Sounds great...too bad some folks don't want to drive their cars in a foot of snow. I believe salt is far worse then any perceived issue with oil "getting old"...especially synthetic.

In my case, 6.5qts of oil is far cheaper then the state of mind that you have knowing that your baby is sitting in the garage all ready for when spring comes. Same thing with taking the battery out and/or keeping it charged with a tender. I prefer to remove it, give it a full charge and keep in the warm house. Not sure if this is the best way, but I just replaced my battery in my 11 year old CBR1100XX for the first time this year.

Mine gets put away for the winter also but I still start and run it for about 10-15 minutes every 2 weeks.

Keeps everything lubricated.

Every time you run your engine for a short period 10-15 minutes, you are collecting about a pint of water in each side of your exhaust system. If you don't believe me, disconnect the H-Pipe and you might want to stand or lay to the side, as you will get soaked. Some of this water evaporate back to your engine.

Better off driving the car at least 5 miles or just leave it alone until you can drive it.

I only change the oil once a year or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. Never had a problem.

Every time you run your engine for a short period 10-15 minutes, you are collecting about a pint of water in each side of your exhaust system. If you don't believe me, disconnect the H-Pipe and you might want to stand or lay to the side, as you will get soaked. Some of this water evaporate back to your engine.

Better off driving the car at least 5 miles or just leave it alone until you can drive it.

I only change the oil once a year or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. Never had a problem.

Agreed, full synthetic will not break down and the condensation will burn off pretty quick if you have the stock thermostat. I'm lucky if I can put 2500 miles a year before the cold and snow set in. So I change my oil yearly.

Oil gets contaminates and acids in it during use. Just before winter storage I plan on changing the oil and driving it for a few miles to circulate the fresh oil. IMO, it's best to have fresh oil in it prior to storage to get rid of these contaminates.

I also agree with the previous post, if you can't get it up to operating temperature and drive it, it is probably best to just to let it sit without starting it.

Some other things to consider if it will be stored for extended periods would be fogging oil in the cylinders (protect from rust on cylinder walls), a full fuel tank (minimize water in fuel caused by condensation), and add fuel stabil in the tank. Drive it a few miles to get the stabil through the entire fuel system.

Some more good reccomendations on vehicle storage on the following sites:

http://www.automedia.com/Vehicle_Storage_T...ccr20010601sv/1

http://www.partsource.ca/doityourself/JOM_Oct2007.asp

Just wondering if you would change the oil in my gt500 before I put it away for the winter? I have put 300 miles on it this summer and the oil was changed last year before it was put away for storage. It has the ford synthetic oil in it. Thanks for your thoughts.

i would like to get an idea of what dealers price they are asking for an oil change. cals here in

alaska told me that a quart of 5w50 foll syn was 19.99 does that sound right. just oil would

be 139.99

Depending on the dealer the oil can be had for about $10 a qt,Give or take a few dollars depending.I seem to remeber the whole oil change,Parts only as I did it myself costing abou $75 with all parts bought at the dealer.

i would like to get an idea of what dealers price they are asking for an oil change. cals here in

alaska told me that a quart of 5w50 foll syn was 19.99 does that sound right. just oil would

be 139.99

$19.99/QT is way too expensive for Motorcraft 5W-50. Try K-Mans Parts. Don't know what shipping will run you in Alaska.

http://k-mansparts.com/items/mustang/filte...-qgt-detail.htm

Archived