TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVT Mustang Handling Pack

pmorritt

Yes, I tried a search-but no info. Ok, have my GT500 for 6 months now and want to start a few upgrades. She has good power-perhaps a wee bit more later. For now I want to sweetin up the handling. Nothing crazy, just little lower and less understeer-shes a little heavy up front. I understand there are many choices. So far i'm looking at the FRPP SVT Mustang Handling pack-( M-207-FR3RP). Have any of you put this package on? I want real answers from those who have done this. The dealer here said that he has installed many of this package and says that it does not throw the diff out of line due to the mild lowering. This package only lowers the car a mild 1 1/4 inch all around. I am willing to spend the cash-about $2100 installed with alignment, but is it worth it? Would you do it again? Thanks Phil

I've got the handling pack and its like night and day as far as handling, I've also installed the roush adjustable panhard bar and the roush wheel hop reduction kit. I wanted to keep the car mostly frpp parts and I've kept all my original parts in case I decide to go back to stock.

I got the FRPP Handling Pack when it first became available. Would I do it again? Absolutely. From the aesthetics side, it sits the way I think it should have right from the factory. From the driving side, it doesn't feel as loose in the turns as it did before. Prior to adding the Handling Pack, I had already changed my UCA and LCAs, so I can't speak to how it addresses the wheel hop as mine was eliminated already. I did add relocation brackets for the LCAs - not sure if it was completely necessary, though. I also added an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axle. The only thing I would do differently now is to opt for the Fays2 Watts Link in favor of the adjustable panhard.

My dealer's Service Manager turned a complete and firm thumbs down on the FRPP handling pack in terms of the car's original factory warranty and Ford ESP.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. Just be aware of warranty implications. Consult with your local service manager first to see what he has to say. This may be discretionary from dealer to dealer.

Michael

Hi Phil,

Although I plan on installing the entire FRPP suspension, so far I have done just the springs. Like previously mentioned it lowers the car to what I would consider the perfect stance. I have noticed however that the rearend has been displaced slightly and will require an aftermarket panhard bar to correct to make it perfect. Some other worthy notes on the topic, my wheel hop was all but cured with the springs and all the bouncing around the car does in the corners has also been eliminated.

Someone here mentioned warranty issues. I actually pointed out to my service advisor that I had the springs installed and he said really, indicating that number one he didn't even notice and number two he didn't care.

I think the springs are the best bang for the buck and I look forward to adding the rest of the kit soon.

You get a 3/36 if installed by dealer before delivery, 1 year/12,000 mile if installed by dealer after delivery but before your original 3/36 expires.

But read the fine print. The FRPP warranty you're referring to covers the FRPP parts/kit only. It does not cover the rest of your car, and that's where your original factory warranty is at risk.

As I said, just have a frank conversation with your service manager beforehand, so that you don't get any unpleasant surprises later on, that's all.

FYI There is an ongoing hassle between the Ford OEM warranty people and FRPP because of this awkward situation. You would think that if it's made by Ford for one of its cars and installed by one of its dealers, the OEM warranty [and ESP] would be unaffected. That's the way it is at GM and Chrysler. Not at Ford.

Michael

Someone here mentioned warranty issues. I actually pointed out to my service advisor that I had the springs installed and he said really, indicating that number one he didn't even notice and number two he didn't care.

That's good where your OEM warranty is concerned, particularly if you always get serviced at this dealership. Be alert that other dealerships may have different policies. Also, if you have a Ford ESP, note that ESP coverage decisions need the approval of ESP officials, not just the local service manager, and ESP tends generally to be tougher. Again, if you don't have a Ford ESP, this is a nonissue. If you do, and if you decide to go down the mods route, you may want to consider cashing in the ESP. This is also a good topic to discuss with your service manager, who knows about all these corporate tangles.

Michael

The 12/36 is on the parts like yu said, it would not effect the rest of the warranty and if something else wore to fail they would have to prove it was because of what ever mod you installed. I think its called the magnuson morrison act? Anyways like you posted it probably would be up to the dealer to decide and it wouldn't hurt to make friends with your parts guy and service advisors.

If you go to the frpp site it does say frpp parts are not ford original parts, they are also offering a free TeamShelby membership with certain frpp packages which tells me that Shelby must approve the parts.

My two cents on the FRPP Handling Pack. From an aesthetics standpoint, it is an A+. Looks like it should have from the factory. It lowered mine just over an inch in the front, and just shy of two inches in the back. No longer can you fit a basketball between the tire and fender in the back!!!

Handling-wise, it has improved. Can definitely tell a difference in the understeer (not as much anymore). Seems to "stick" to the corners better. I have the dampers set to the middle setting right now (3 out of 6 adjustments) and the ride is slightly stiffer than stock.

Any wheel-hop I had prior to the install is now gone. Maybe I am a lucky one, or just not hammering on it as hard as others, but I have no wheel hop after the install.

I also had a Steeda Adjustable Panhard bar installed with the Pack. If you don't, the rear will be shifted to the driver's side a bit.

My only "issue" with the Handling Pack is that my installer was not able to get the alignment 100% back within spec. It is barely out of spec right now.

Overall, I am happy with the Handling Pack install.

If you are truly worried about your warranty know this,Although it has been touched upon already even if you can get the mods that would normally void a warranty to pass by a certain service manager at a certain dealer what happens if he loses his job or the dealership closes?

You would be best served by either being ready to pay to play or finding some strong legal documentation to back you up.

Mods can and will kill a warranty,But they can sure make the time spent with the car MUCH better!

My two cents on the FRPP Handling Pack. From an aesthetics standpoint, it is an A+. Looks like it should have from the factory. It lowered mine just over an inch in the front, and just shy of two inches in the back. No longer can you fit a basketball between the tire and fender in the back!!!

Handling-wise, it has improved. Can definitely tell a difference in the understeer (not as much anymore). Seems to "stick" to the corners better. I have the dampers set to the middle setting right now (3 out of 6 adjustments) and the ride is slightly stiffer than stock.

Any wheel-hop I had prior to the install is now gone. Maybe I am a lucky one, or just not hammering on it as hard as others, but I have no wheel hop after the install.

I also had a Steeda Adjustable Panhard bar installed with the Pack. If you don't, the rear will be shifted to the driver's side a bit.

My only "issue" with the Handling Pack is that my installer was not able to get the alignment 100% back within spec. It is barely out of spec right now.

Overall, I am happy with the Handling Pack install.

Thankyou, that is the type of answer I was looking for! How did you/installer dial in the panhard? Don't ya just hate it when the question gets hijacked

• 2 weeks later...
Thankyou, that is the type of answer I was looking for! How did you/installer dial in the panhard? Don't ya just hate it when the question gets hijacked

I guess it came down to experience for the installer, he knew exactly what to do. Also, I read for hours on this very topic so I could go in with as much information as I could. Hope this helps . . .

How did you/installer dial in the panhard? Don't ya just hate it when the question gets hijacked

This link provides a detailed installation guide for a Steeda adjustable panhard bar and brace. It includes guidance for dialing in the panhard bar towards the end.

http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398402

I had the same issue. I had BMR adjustable camber plates installed. Problem resolved.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanku All

Hey all,

I received a phone call from my sales guy regarding my month old GT500. he told me that their service dept is installing the KR package on GT500s for around $4,600 parts and labor. It is basically the FRPP handling and performance upgrade packages. After reading these posts, I asked about the warranty. He told me that the full Ford warranty is honored. Has anyone had the KR package installed on their GT500 by the dealer after delivery? And if so, what were you told regarding the warranty? My dealer has been straight up with me, so I am not sure why other dealers are saying the warranty may be voided or only good for 1 yr/12,000 mi.

Thanks.

Yes, I tried a search-but no info. Ok, have my GT500 for 6 months now and want to start a few upgrades. She has good power-perhaps a wee bit more later. For now I want to sweetin up the handling. Nothing crazy, just little lower and less understeer-shes a little heavy up front. I understand there are many choices. So far i'm looking at the FRPP SVT Mustang Handling pack-( M-207-FR3RP). Have any of you put this package on? I want real answers from those who have done this. The dealer here said that he has installed many of this package and says that it does not throw the diff out of line due to the mild lowering. This package only lowers the car a mild 1 1/4 inch all around. I am willing to spend the cash-about $2100 installed with alignment, but is it worth it? Would you do it again? Thanks Phil

Just FYI. I believe you have the wrong part number. I believe thats the kit for the mustang GT. The one you need for the GT500 is M-2007-FR3SVT. Just don't want you to order the wrong thing.....

Hey all,

I received a phone call from my sales guy regarding my month old GT500. he told me that their service dept is installing the KR package on GT500s for around $4,600 parts and labor. It is basically the FRPP handling and performance upgrade packages. After reading these posts, I asked about the warranty. He told me that the full Ford warranty is honored. Has anyone had the KR package installed on their GT500 by the dealer after delivery? And if so, what were you told regarding the warranty? My dealer has been straight up with me, so I am not sure why other dealers are saying the warranty may be voided or only good for 1 yr/12,000 mi.

Thanks.

I don't believe the KR uses the FRPP SVT Mustang Handling Package (M-2007-FR3SVT). This package lowers your car by 1.25 inches, which is lower than the KR. The KR shocks are also fixed, non-adjustable types unlike the ones included with this kit, which are adjustable. I'm not saying this is bad, just be advised it's not the same as the KR.

Personally, I'd like to have the FRPP springs on the rear and the KR springs on front for a balanced look and to keep from lowering the front too much. The KR springs are not available (yet).

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9924

I don't believe the KR uses the FRPP SVT Mustang Handling Package (M-2007-FR3SVT). This package lowers your car by 1.25 inches, which is lower than the KR. The KR shocks are also fixed, non-adjustable types unlike the ones included with this kit, which are adjustable. I'm not saying this is bad, just be advised it's not the same as the KR.

Personally, I'd like to have the FRPP springs on the rear and the KR springs on front for a balanced look and to keep from lowering the front too much. The KR springs are not available (yet).

Thanks, 6-Speed. The dealer called it the "KR package" probably for lack of a better description. I was just curious regarding the warranty. Also, I understand there may be some "noise" issues with the handling package's suspension parts in cold weather. I may wait a little bit just to see how the FRPP performance and handling packages shake out over a little time with the GT500. Also, while it may be just basic mechanics to install them, I am just a little hesitant to have a regular dealer do the installation w/o any special training. You know the saying: "If it ain't broke..."

The KR does not use the FRPP suspension. The FRRP suspension ver KR some specs and part numbers below.

The FRPP suspension is actually more hardcore then the KR.

The KR has different sway bars,it uses the same sway bar in the rear as a GT500 with a lighter one in the front Front sway bar #kr5482

The frpp kit has two totally different bars frrp# 5490

KR sway bar are 34mmX5.1 mm wall front and 24mm rear

Frpp 34.9mmX6.35 wall front and 23.9mm rear

KR components

front spring #8r3v-53100-kra rate 41.5n/mm height 36mm

rear spring #8r3v-5560 -kra rate 31.5 26mm

frpp

front spring# cm-5300-lf rate 45n/mm height 26mm

rear cm-5300-lr 35 16mm

Another difference is the bushings the kr uses a 65A durometer bushing ver a 85A bushing in the frpp kit(the 85 is stiffer)

these are the dampers in the FRPP suspension they are adjustable. KR uses non adjustable ones.

FRPP dampers

M-18000-C*

Fits 2007-08 SVT Mustang

Engineered specifically for improved handing on the 2007-08 SVT Mustang

Single adjustment with two-way response

Tuned to work with both stock ride height and lowered 2007-08 SVT Mustangs

Recommended for use with M-5300-L Spring Kit, M-5490-B Anti-roll Bar kit and M-20201-C Strut Tower Brace.

Hey all,

Thanks.

pmorritt, sorry about the continued hi-jack, but I couldn't let this one go.

Abn, I don't know what your dealership is calling a "KR Package" but it is most definitely NOT a 'KR Package"! the KR's are pre-title up-fits done ONLY in Las Vegas and the package is NOT available otherwise.

You MAY get the CAI and a tune and the regular FRPP handling pack being discussed here in this thread, but the KR suspension is different as are some aero-specific body parts (like the splitter).

pmorritt,

There is a road racer over on SVTPerformance who has also installed the SVT kit on his GT500. It's not his "track car" but with his driving experience, his feedback should carry some weight. His screen name is ac427cobra. He has had very positive things to say about the enhanced handling characteristics. You might PM him about any issues he had regarding alignment to see if it is a common issue or not.

Per the 5th page of your Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog:

Warranty Coverages for Select Ford Racing Parts:

Performance Packs - (M-2005-FR1, M-5251-R, M-2005-FR1A, M-2006-FR1, M-2007-FR1V6,

M-2007-FR1SVT, M-7210-T1, M-7210-V, M-7210-B, M-9603-GT05, M-9603-GT05A, M-9603-

GT06, M-9603-V605, M-9603-SVT07, and M-2005-FR3, M-2007-FR3V6, M-2007-FR3SVT, M-

5230-V6) found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship for 3 years/36,000

miles (whichever comes first) when installed on a new vehicle at the time of vehicle sale or 12

months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) when installed after the date of vehicle sale but

prior to the expiration of the 3 years/36,000 mile coverage (whichever occurs first) under the

New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Performance Packs (FR1 Only). Note: Customers who purchase FR1 kits are required to

use 91 or higher octane fuels at all times. Any failures associated with the non-use of

premium 91 Octane fuel will be ineligible for warranty repair.

Performance Packs (FR3) Note: The FR3 performance handling application is designed

for “Track Day” limit ride and handling. The FR3 Handling Pack requires the use of

original equipment size wheels only. Such performance standards suggest vehicle ride

will be more indicative of race performance vehicles. Vehicle conditions including, but

not limited to, squeaks, rattles and harsh ride are not subject to warrantable repair.

Warranty Start Date - This limited warranty begins upon dealer installation and

registration of the Ford Racing Performance Pack(s) with Ford Racing and ends at either

3 years/36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) when installed on a new vehicle at the time

of vehicle sale or 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all installations

occurring after the date of vehicle sale but prior to the expiration of the 3 years/36,000

mile coverage (whichever occurs first) under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

pmorritt, sorry about the continued hi-jack, but I couldn't let this one go.

pmorritt,

There is a road racer over on SVTPerformance who has also installed the SVT kit on his GT500. It's not his "track car" but with his driving experience, his feedback should carry some weight. His screen name is ac427cobra. He has had very positive things to say about the enhanced handling characteristics. You might PM him about any issues he had regarding alignment to see if it is a common issue or not.

No Prob. So far only posit responces on the Handling Kit. Think as soon as the "special" fund is funded, I'll just include an adjustable panhard bar-just to be on the safe side. No sense in putting on all that nice stuff only to see it go down the road with her rear end outta line. Works with J-Low, but not my girl.

:drool:

Archived