TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Your VIN # is stamped on your tranny

Grabber

you have entirely to much free time on your hands my friend....... :hysterical:

alass...i was not able to pri my baby away from the hard cold grips of FoMoCo after my transplant....... :cry:

My crate was in bad shape after traveling around the US twice. :baby:

th_Trannyoriginal002.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I paid 53k for a car that needs to be remanufacturered by a dealer! Wow!

One question, how do I know if I need to take my car to teh dealer to instal a new tranny?

Type in Clutch in the search feature and do some studying. Read the TSB. Do some clutch testing. Here is the test thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=522571

so Rob when are retransplanting your tranny?

I have a brand new tranny in my car that runs fantastic. I also have Ford's best EXTENDED warranty untill 2014, so if anything happens to the new tranny, it will get repaired. If I ever have a tranny problem after 2014, then this original tranny that was just re-built will go back into the car at that time.

For now.....it will be stored in the corner of my shop out of site and out of mind.

th_Trannyoriginal076.jpg

OK, here are the tests I performed:

1) COLD:

a) No hissing sound with clutch released and/or fully engaged.

B) Fully engaged clutch and quickly moved to 1st and Rev. Rev is smoother than 1st, but engaging 1st was not an issue but a little notchie.

c) Fully engaged clutch, waited 3 seconds and then moved to 1st and Rev. Same identical as 1b above.

2) Hot

a) Hissing sound is present when in neutral and clutch is released. Enagged clutch fully and hissing sound goes away permannetly. Slowly release clucth and hissing sound returns about 1/2 way out.

B) Same identical as 1b above.

c) Same identical as 1 c above.

655 miles

Build Date 12/07

What does all thsi means?

OK, here are the tests I performed:

1) COLD:

a) No hissing sound with clutch released and/or fully engaged.

B) Fully engaged clutch and quickly moved to 1st and Rev. Rev is smoother than 1st, but engaging 1st was not an issue but a little notchie.

c) Fully engaged clutch, waited 3 seconds and then moved to 1st and Rev. Same identical as 1b above.

2) Hot

a) Hissing sound is present when in neutral and clutch is released. Enagged clutch fully and hissing sound goes away permannetly. Slowly release clucth and hissing sound returns about 1/2 way out.

B) Same identical as 1b above.

c) Same identical as 1 c above.

655 miles

Build Date 12/07

What does all thsi means?

The ONLY time the clutch should hiss is when you are letting the clutch out in First gear or in Reverse (this hiss is loud too). As you let the clutch out in 1st or reverse, you can hear the ceramic pads grab the disc and that is the hiss that you should hear. There is one other normal hiss, and that is the quick little hiss you hear when you let your clutch out and the car is in nuetral, and when the pedal is about 1/2 way or so you hear a real quick hisp noise.

The abnormal hiss noise is very soft and you need a good ear to hear it, and that's why I tell you to keep your door open and your ear pointed torwards the rocker panel.

I can't hear any hissing as I release my clucth from 1st or reverse.

Only hissing I hear is when HOT in neutral and clucth is not engaged. As soon as I engage the clutch, the hissing goes away.

Do I need to take teh car into the shop to have teh TSB done? or Should I wait to see if conditions get worse?

I already have TWO recalls on my 110CI on my Harley....so both my riding toys will be donw! I amn glad all my guns work well!

I am a driver, and a bad one at best, not a mechanic and not as meticulous as you......guidance please.

I can't hear any hissing as I release my clucth from 1st or reverse.

Only hissing I hear is when HOT in neutral and clucth is not engaged. As soon as I engage the clutch, the hissing goes away.

Do I need to take teh car into the shop to have teh TSB done? or Should I wait to see if conditions get worse?

I already have TWO recalls on my 110CI on my Harley....so both my riding toys will be donw! I amn glad all my guns work well!

I am a driver, and a bad one at best, not a mechanic and not as meticulous as you......guidance please.

Louis,

The car should not be hissing in nuetral. That is a sign that the clutch is dragging. You need to have it looked at by a good Master Tech and tell him about the hiss in nuetral.

When you put it in 1st gear and hold the clutch in...does the car creep forward a little ?

Ruf,

Today the tranny box turned into a cacoon. I shrink wrapped it from top to bottom. She's going into a deep sleep now, and I don't want any moisture in there.

TUET5800Trannyrebuild023.jpg

Someday someone is going to say "Who in the heck would take the time to do this?" or "What a stroke of luck" or "how much do you thing that thing is worth on ebay" or "This was my Dad's and now it's mine" or all of the fore mentioned.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :confused:

Someday someone is going to say "Who in the heck would take the time to do this?" or "What a stroke of luck" or "how much do you thing that thing is worth on ebay" or "This was my Dad's and now it's mine" or all of the fore mentioned.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :confused:

I know your'e just as crazy as me. I got the idea to keep mine after I heard that you were pushing to keep yours.

I wonder how many of us have their old trannys ?

Federal law states that the vin number be stamped on all transmissions not just the GT40/GT500. Take a look at whatever car or truck you currently drive. It may be hard to see but its there.

Replacement parts are not required to have the vin.

Steve

PS- Smart thing to keep your old trans.

I work at Ford's Sharonville Plant and know for a fact that we never engraved the VIN # on the transmission, I wonder if they might do this in the final assembly?

• 2 weeks later...
I work at Ford's Sharonville Plant and know for a fact that we never engraved the VIN # on the transmission, I wonder if they might do this in the final assembly?

That would be the only logical conclusion I could think of since you guys are not doing it.

Once again I want to thank Grabber for this thread. :shift:

With all the political stuff on Team Shelby I was starting to wonder if we will ever read anything Mustang related again. :headscratch:

Great job on the Tranny Crib! Anything worth doing is worth doing it well!

I looked and my Vin# is there! :happy feet:

How many have benefitted from your Transmission thread? :headscratch:

A lot more than you'll probably ever know. :yup:

Thanks Grabber. :bowdown:

A tribute to my inspiration - Grabber.

th_028.jpgth_031.jpgth_032.jpgth_036.jpgth_038.jpgth_039.jpg

My box was ruined at my former dealership. They left it sit out in the rain.

Excellent job Flyboy. I'm impressed on the tranny coffin / crate. This just goes to prove that AI'm not the only one here that is....well, a little overboard. :hysterical:

PS

I noticed you don't have any wheels on that crate. Your slackin. :hysterical2:

Excellent job Flyboy. I'm impressed on the tranny coffin / crate. This just goes to prove that AI'm not the only one here that is....well, a little overboard. :hysterical:

PS

I noticed you don't have any wheels on that crate. Your slackin. :hysterical2:

No - the casters are there. I'm just as bad. Maybe worse. No - that's not possible.

Archived