TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Your VIN # is stamped on your tranny

Grabber

The Ford GT40 supercar and the GT500 are the only cars that Ford takes the time to stamp the last 8 of your VIN # on the side of the tranny. Some people could care less, but this has some value to me.

A few people were asking me where it is located. It's next to the fill plug.

Trannyoriginal043.jpg

Trannyoriginal046.jpg

Trannyoriginal047.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if you could talk the mechanics into swapping that casing part onto the new unit.

I don't want to bastardize my original tranny. I loaded it in my truck last night and after work today....I dropped it off to be rebuilt with new syncros and the new style input shaft.

TUET5800Trannyrebuild003.jpg

Your paying for it yourself?

The cost is not worked out. My master Tech did one of these tranny re-builds on another members car last week and he said it took him 7 hours to do it. He did say that he has a bit of a learning curve down now so it should not take him as long.

I think the core fee was $224.

I explained that the tranny was very importand to me and that I felt it was part of the car because it had my VIN number on it. I told them that it was very importand to me that I keep a matching numbers car. I told them that I paid alot of money for this car and that the parts on the car belong to me the owner.

They listened and did the right thing and let me keep it. It was not easy to do.

I think the core fee was $224.

I explained that the tranny was very importand to me and that I felt it was part of the car because it had my VIN number on it. I told them that it was very importand to me that I keep a matching numbers car. I told them that I paid alot of money for this car and that the parts on the car belong to me the owner.

They listened and did the right thing and let me keep it. It was not easy to do.

Nice work Grabber. And great attention to detail. Again.

All I'd really like is to be able to keep a clean desk. You're way beyond that! LOL

And I've been meaning to ask, how did you get that bug in your signature? I don't see an opening...

Grabber,

You have no idea how many times I've set the car alarm off in the middle of the night, jacking it up with light, mirror, and Silly Putty in hand, to verify some little detail in one of your posts.

Sure enough, there it is, my VIN # on the side of my TUET8175 B. Of course, it is pretty much hidden from view from underneath, but there none the less.

The Ford GT40 supercar and the GT500 are the only cars that Ford takes the time to stamp the last 8 of your VIN # on the side of the tranny.

Federal law states that the vin number be stamped on all transmissions not just the GT40/GT500. Take a look at whatever car or truck you currently drive. It may be hard to see but its there.

Replacement parts are not required to have the vin.

Steve

PS- Smart thing to keep your old trans.

The cost is not worked out. My master Tech did one of these tranny re-builds on another members car last week and he said it took him 7 hours to do it. He did say that he has a bit of a learning curve down now so it should not take him as long.

I know that the magazines have a number of ads for performance tranny shops that claim they "bullet proof" your tranny. Would this benefit anyone?

I'm getting my babys bed ready. Nice cushy Pink pads. Should be able to sleep in there nice and comfy. :hysterical:

TUET5800Trannyrebuild018.jpg

bite me .... :drool:

Your one lucky guy Rob ! ...... Obviously those with swapped our trannies are out of luck .....

My baby naked for all to see. :happy feet:

It took 10 months to pull this off. :yahoo:

th_TUET5800Trannyrebuild012.jpg

th_TUET5800Trannyrebuild013.jpg

th_TUET5800Trannyrebuild015.jpg

my previous comment still stands !

Archived