TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Navigation System

Chill

Does anyone know how the compass works in these, and what the "SW" number is?

The compass in the top left hand corner is backwards in our car. When we go North the red head shows North and when we go South the red head shows South. But, when we go East, Southeast or Northeast the compass shows West, Southwest or Northwest. It sounded to me like some poles were reversed. The dealer's answer was to replace the unit. Well, it didn't fix it.

In fact, they installed the new unit and sent mine off with the DVD still inside. I pointed that out to them when I picked up the car (and the fact that they could not have checked to see if it was fixed without the DVD). I finally picked up the DVD this morning and the problem still exists. I also get the feeling the unit was not a new replacement but, rather, a refurbished unit. I say that because when I went to load the DVD the unit said the DVD was old and I would lose current data (when we bought the car the unit didn't say that as the hard drive was empty.) Also, the SW number was 3.030000 and now is says 3.020000. Makes me think it's an older unit.

Anyone know how these work and what the SW is? (or have the same issue?)

Does anyone know how the compass works in these, and what the "SW" number is?

The compass in the top left hand corner is backwards in our car. When we go North the red head shows North and when we go South the red head shows South. But, when we go East, Southeast or Northeast the compass shows West, Southwest or Northwest. It sounded to me like some poles were reversed. The dealer's answer was to replace the unit. Well, it didn't fix it.

In fact, they installed the new unit and sent mine off with the DVD still inside. I pointed that out to them when I picked up the car (and the fact that they could not have checked to see if it was fixed without the DVD). I finally picked up the DVD this morning and the problem still exists. I also get the feeling the unit was not a new replacement but, rather, a refurbished unit. I say that because when I went to load the DVD the unit said the DVD was old and I would lose current data (when we bought the car the unit didn't say that as the hard drive was empty.) Also, the SW number was 3.030000 and now is says 3.020000. Makes me think it's an older unit.

Anyone know how these work and what the SW is? (or have the same issue?)

This is NOT a compass but a the "Map Mode Indicator", in fact the word "compass" appears nowhere in the manual.

From the manual on page: 42

"When in MAP mode, an icon appears on the upper left side of the screen; this is a toggle button to change the view of the map displayed.

The following methods exist for orientation of the map:

• Heading up: In this mode, the direction of forward travel is always upward direction on screen. Available for map scales

up to 2.5 mi/5km. For scales above that, the setting for Heading-Up is remembered, but the map is shown in North-Up only. If the scale returns below this level, then the Heading-Up setting is restored.

• North up: In this mode, the Northern Direction is always upward direction on screen.

The SW number? Not sure but you can find out by calling the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1 (800) 392–3673 (FORD) however I think that's the internal system software and not the DVD. The DVD map software has a single version number the latest I believe is 7P that is out in the 09 cars. The DVD Map version is on the DVD.

From the manual:

"To help with accuracy, always use the latest DVD version for navigation. Updates to the database will have no effect on the contents of the address book and other user settings. Loading an older version of the map DVD may result in data loss."

Sounds like to me that the DVD was once used with a later version and then you inserted the older DVD...I'd say they owe you the newer DVD if that's what you had. They don't want to order it because it costs $$.

Do you have the manual? If not I have a PDF.

BTW: Check out the new Ford Nav system not yet available on the Mustang:

http://blogs.musclemustangfastfords.com/62...stem/index.html

Love the Nav. Bought car on superstition about the csm number, did not want Nav. Now I never want a car without it except my 1/4 miler...

Jeff is right I have read the book back and forth, there is no compass, nothing was wrong with your original nav IMHO......

Love the Nav. Bought car on superstition about the csm number, did not want Nav. Now I never want a car without it except my 1/4 miler...

Jeff is right I have read the book back and forth, there is no compass, nothing was wrong with your original nav IMHO......

Yeah, forgot about that! LOL....dealer service at its best! :happy feet:

Thanks! I'll try to get the newer DVD from the dealer. I understand about the indicator and map modes. It just seemed to me (and the dealer) that since it moves as the car moves and points direction, it simulated a rough compass heading. I too didn't really want the navigation but it was on the car. Now, however, I don't want a car without it!

Okay, I just got off the phone with Ken at Ford CS. He said the little icon on the top left corner is indeed a compass and should work as one when in the "heading up" mode. He hadn't heard of it working backwards on East, West.

The "SW" is the firmware number.

I've already contacted my dealer for a replacement unit.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

The system information screen gives you contact information, current

location and access to the Navigation DVD. To access the System

Information screen:

1. Ensure that the system is on.

2. Press MENU.

3. Press SYSTEM INFO to view the following information:

• Customer Relationship Center (shown as Customer Service Center)

phone numbers in USA and Canada

• Current GPS Location

• Map DVD Release Version

• ACCESS NAVIGATION DVD: Press to access the Navigation Map DVD

from this screen.

• Satellite Radio Electronic Serial Number (ESN#)

Okay, I just got off the phone with Ken at Ford CS. He said the little icon on the top left corner is indeed a compass and should work as one when in the "heading up" mode. He hadn't heard of it working backwards on East, West.

The "SW" is the firmware number.

I've already contacted my dealer for a replacement unit.

I'm on the phone with them now. They woman I am speaking to agreed with me that it IS NOT a compass and is now going to talk to Ken. I am on hold.

If it is a compass mine is broken too! :headscratch:

Ok, just got off the phone. It's NOT a compass. I was told to tell you to call Ken back and he will explain if you hear different again let me know cause mine is broken too!

Just got off the phone, Ken's shift is over for today but he does work tomorrow. I'll call him then. I was out for a while (had a biopsy today) and just got back up. The thing that gets me is that it actually moves like a compass (just the wrong heading for East and West). Oh, and, get this, the gentleman I just spoke with said it is a compass in the heading up mode. (: I'll get with Ken in the morning and then pass the info along to my dealer so we aren't chasing a problem that doesn't exist. In the meantime, I'm still pressing for a unit with the same firmware version as the one they pulled from my car (and, I think I'm going to buy the 7P DVD that's out there).

Thanks for everything Jeff, this has helped me a lot!

Chuck

Just got off the phone, Ken's shift is over for today but he does work tomorrow. I'll call him then. I was out for a while (had a biopsy today) and just got back up. The thing that gets me is that it actually moves like a compass (just the wrong heading for East and West). Oh, and, get this, the gentleman I just spoke with said it is a compass in the heading up mode. (: I'll get with Ken in the morning and then pass the info along to my dealer so we aren't chasing a problem that doesn't exist. In the meantime, I'm still pressing for a unit with the same firmware version as the one they pulled from my car (and, I think I'm going to buy the 7P DVD that's out there).

Thanks for everything Jeff, this has helped me a lot!

Chuck

The pointer is not a compass..in "heading up" mode it indicates where north is on the map and follows North on the map when you change orientation not the direction of the car.

I have the same unit and if you look at it as a compass instead it is oriented backwards...Think about it, if you are heading east (which would be up on the map then north on the map would be on the left margin. The pointer is pointing left which would appear to be West if you thought it to be a compass. Head west and the opposite occurs. The reason it is not reversed on N-S is beacuse that is the major indicating axis of the map system. Heading North = Pointer is pointing up because map is oriented with north up. Heading South = Pointer is pointing down because map is oriended with north down.

A real "head scratcher" until you realize the pointer purpose...

Hope that helps

HE

I bought my 07 Explorer Limited with the Nav, so I knew I wanted the same in my 08 SGT...I use this thing all the time!! I may have to update my DVD to the new versions next year...times 2....Ebay, here I come...

Archived