TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua: Advisory

robertlane

We where told that if you are driving on the way to Terlingua that the gas stations are few and far between. There will be gas at Terlingua just don't want anyone to get stuck on the way. Just passing on info told to us.

Sharon

Hwy 170 was washed out,by past storm, Take Hwy 118 from Alpine to Terlingua.

Well, I am Here. Where's here,?? Well , I am in Terlingua. I arrived, yesterday at noon. The drive down from Van Horn to Marfa, approx. 80 miles is Beautiful. Approx, 6 gas stations in Marfa. Two with diesel , 2nd diesel station in Marfa, a 'Town and Country is the largest.

From Marfa to Alpine about 30 miles also beautiful. Many Gas stations in Alpine. A FINA, has Big rig access,(Pat), and there is a grocery store on main hwy. Alpine is great, Interstate, one way heading south, and it is all one way north. Check out the University,it is fantastic. Auto parts stores, pharmacy's etc. STOCK UP in ALPINE. It is the Last 'Out Post' heading south, to Terlingua, 80 miles, NO SERVICES, till Terlingua.

Hwy 118 is a geology wonder land. The vista's are Fantastic. No Fuel or any services for 80 miles. Cell phone service is non existent for 40 miles, around mid -point. If you have a problem, call the Resort at 1-432-424-5000 and ask for , Larry, I have extra fuel , gas and diesel, tire plugs, air compressor. I will come and help you. Remember to fill your fuel tanks in Alpine. There is a good repair shop in Terlingua, Archie, can have auto, truck parts overnighted to terligua.

The Weather has been FANTASTIC. 78-82 degrees, blue skies with small white clouds, combined with the beauty and grandeur of the Rio Grand, and the incredible mountains and terrain, It's great Here!!! The resort is 5 star, rooms are large and a incredible contrast to the vast beauty of the raw' nature of Terlingua. The local people are VERY Excited about the SHELBY Event, Carroll is, thought of and spoken of very highly.

There are two gas stations in Terlingua. Hours 6am-7pm 7days, and the other is 7am-8pm, 7days, diesel is available along with the standard 3 grades. prices about 4.00/gal, not bad considering where we are.

See you here, this is going to be a great event.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone else have a CB?

If you're traveling with our group Thursday, we'll have a total of 8 mid-range radios scattered in the group. Plus I'll be carrying an extra 15 gallons of 91 oct fuel in the truck (I'm sure others will be doing the same). We'll time our stops and be fine on gas mileage. Been here, done this, on these roads before........

Thanks for the info...we'll see what the six-banger that I was able to rent can do on fuel mileage :happy feet: ....Pjcobra what did you end up renting? Seems to me that we'll be the only rentals there :banghead:....but maybe not the only six-bangers, Sharon, I'll run your six against the rental six....I wonder if a Terlingua decal will make the rental faster :shift::hysterical:

I've got a CB...channel 19 as usual. If you see me, ask for Supersnake. I'm also carrying an extra 40 gallons of unleaded and 20 gallons of diesel. You've all got my cell if need be. Give a holler if you run into troubles.

Archived