TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Five Oh B goes racing.

Five Oh B

Finally, at long last, I got to a drag strip to see how the car runs with the supercharger last Friday night.

My first run (and my best of 11 runs) was 12.57 @ 110.18 mph. Here's how the timeslip reads...

R/T = .062

60' = 1.866

330' = 5.273

1/8 mile = 8.082 @ 86.97 mph

1000' = 10.525

1/4 mile = 12.577 @ 110.18 mph

This was at Bremerton Raceway in Washington (just west of Tacoma, WA). My first time ever at that track, and first time ever racing with the supercharger. I got plenty of traction every run, but could not get a 60' better than a pair of 1.85's all night. Had a run in the 12.60's and lots of runs in the 12.70's - most were over 109 mph.

Here's the timeslip (kind of legible). I'm car #2725 in the right lane...

P9220002.jpg

I took some video from inside the car. I've only posted a few of them online, but this will give you an idea...

My GT vs white 66 Mustang Coupe. The 66 was running mid to high 12's all day, so he was tough to catch, but I got him just before the finish line (see him in my rear view mirror at the end of the track).

My GT vs purple 70 Olds Cutlass. The Olds was trailered in, is a pro-category bracket racer, and ran low to mid 12's all day. He cut a better light than me, but I managed to catch him somehow and beat him (again, watch for him in my rear view mirror at the end of the track).

My GT vs vista blue 06 Roush Mustang (with Roushcharger, smaller blower pulley, 4.10's, drag radials, LCA's). The Roush looked the part, but the driver was a novice and he couldn't put the supposed 460hp to good use. I beat him very badly a couple of times and you'll see him fade back quickly in my rear view mirror at the launch).

My GT vs yellow Dodge SRT-4. The SRT-4 wasn't even close - he ran low 14's all day, so I beat him easily (watch him fade quickly in my rear view mirror!).

EXCELLENT POST :) I LOVE seeing the videos :) Thanks for posting on Photobucket :) I cant see YouTube from here :) Will have to watch these again tonight from home - so I can HEAR tham (no audio on my computer at work).

Great job :)

Page

I can't watch YouTube at work either, but we can see Photobucket, like you. I'm really glad I decided to take the camcorder (I almost left it at home). My car is so dang quiet compared to everything else at the track, that you won't really here my quiet factory exhaust much when you can play the audio.

Can't thank you enough, Page, for getting the supercharger to me for such a good deal. My 12 second timeslips are because of you and Stillen!!!!!!!!

I just watched the 4 vids.

That was fun watching them. :happy feet:

Nice driving 5-Oh. :shift:

Thanks, Rob! I'd love to take some credit for the driving, but as long as the drag radials are heated up, all I do is put the transmission in "drive" and let the computer do all the shifting. I'm just along for the ride and steer when necessary. :banvictory:

I felt really bad for the guy with the vista blue 06 Roush Mustang. Even with the Roushcharger and all the mods, he was only running low 15's at around 95 mph. I know his car should have run as fast as mine, but he had never drag raced in his life, so it was all new for him.

So Grabber, any chance you'll get your car out at PIR for some drag racing or road racing anytime? I'd be happy to drive down and do some filming.

Thanks, Rob! I'd love to take some credit for the driving, but as long as the drag radials are heated up, all I do is put the transmission in "drive" and let the computer do all the shifting. I'm just along for the ride and steer when necessary. :banvictory:

Ya STILL have to cut the light and keep it going straight :) Soo, you DO get credit for the driving :)

Good job :)

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It actually does take practice to heat the tires, stage, cut good lights, and kept the car straight.

On an interesting note, I've been reviewing the videos with our SVT tech here at the dealership, and I suspected that I was topped out in 4th gear and not accelerating all the way to the finish line, but couldn't watch the tach while hurtling along at 100+ to verify this. So, back at my last dyno session I see that 4th gear topped out at 114 mph with my 18" factory wheels. The 17" drag tires I used at the track are an inch shorter, so doing the math reveals that 4th tops out at 109.5 mph now! That explains why the car felt flat the last 100-200 feet. Now I've either gotta raised the rev limiter up in 4th gear or shift into overdrive (I had been locking out overdrive at the track). Seems like I learn something new every time I race!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It actually does take practice to heat the tires, stage, cut good lights, and kept the car straight.

On an interesting note, I've been reviewing the videos with our SVT tech here at the dealership, and I suspected that I was topped out in 4th gear and not accelerating all the way to the finish line, but couldn't watch the tach while hurtling along at 100+ to verify this. So, back at my last dyno session I see that 4th gear topped out at 114 mph with my 18" factory wheels. The 17" drag tires I used at the track are an inch shorter, so doing the math reveals that 4th tops out at 109.5 mph now! That explains why the car felt flat the last 100-200 feet. Now I've either gotta raised the rev limiter up in 4th gear or shift into overdrive (I had been locking out overdrive at the track). Seems like I learn something new every time I race!

12.50's, very nice!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Throw some long tubes/axle back exhaust on that bad boy and say hello to low 12's!!!

What's the limiter set at now? I'm at 6400.

Go Go Go Brian,

Now your back in the thick of things. By the sounds of the shifts you've done a good job to match the gears, converter and tune. The little chirp into second is fun but then it is all business.

While Ruf's car looks menacing your gonna have so much fun with that sleeper look.

David

12.50's, very nice!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Throw some long tubes/axle back exhaust on that bad boy and say hello to low 12's!!!

Man, you don't know just how much I'd love to do that! I know I'm corking up a lot of potential horsepower with the factory exhaust.

However, my car is a daily driver and has to pass stringent emissions testing. Plus, I drive a little too fast to have a loud car rollin' down the public highways. I need the stealth effect of my invisible/quiet car.

Go Go Go Brian,

Now your back in the thick of things. By the sounds of the shifts you've done a good job to match the gears, converter and tune. The little chirp into second is fun but then it is all business.

While Ruf's car looks menacing your gonna have so much fun with that sleeper look.

David

I love how the converter keeps the revs right in the thick of the powerband (4,500 rpm's minimum on upshifts at WOT). I hadn't noticed the 2nd gear chirps until you mentioned it, and that's with fully heated/sticky drag radials. On street tires it'll spin 'em into 2nd and chirp 'em into 3rd (sometimes 4th, too). Rainy days are very tough to drive this car, but I'm very accustomed to steering with the rear tires.

I love Ruf's car. Gave me some of the inspiration for my car (stealth, blower, etc.). Although the Rufstang is a little loud for my driving style.

Those are great vids...I think I even felt the g's somehow! I really wish we had a dragway nearby.

What? No dragstrips there in CT? I'd go crazy if there wasn't a track around here (we have 2 drag strips within an hour's drive). I bet you have some awesome countryside backroads to stretch out the Shelby, though.

Brian - click on the link in my sig for a video of my exhaust.

Music too my ears. But I'd get arrested if my car was that loud. With my stall converter, my car is always revving higher than the average car, so the cops would hear me a mile away and be waiting for me to zoon by.

• 1 month later...

I had some time to kill, so I took my last timeslips and plotted the time & speed on a graph to extrapolate time to speed across the whole 1/4 mile. Interesting results, especially when you compare to a bone stock GT automatic. The 1/4 mile for my GT is 12.3's @ 111+ mph, whereas a stock GT automatic is about 13.6's @ 100 mph per Motor Trend's first road test review a few years ago.

My '07 GT automatic with drag radials (stock GT in parenthesis per Motor Trend test)...

0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds (5.1 stock)

0-70 mph in 4.8 seconds (6.8 stock)

0-80 mph in 6.2 seconds (8.6 stock)

0-90 mph in 7.9 seconds (11.0 stock)

0-100 mph in 9.9 seconds (13.7 stock)

0-110 mph in 12.1 seconds (16.7 stock)

The Vortech blower really shines at high speed vs a stock GT, while the low speed gains are mostly from the 4.10 gears, stall converter, and drag radials. I am very happy with the 0-100 in under 10 seconds, which is almost as quick as a stock 07-09 GT500.

3.7 for 0-60? Wow! I think you'd be a handful for me! :lurk:

Put some sticky tires on your GT, Ruf, and you'd be side by side with me - maybe a fender or two ahead of me. The big 4,800 rpm stall converter I'm running really launches my car hard, but you could dump the clutch from as many rpm's and stay with me since we both have 4.10 gears and boost.

Past 60 mph, my money would be on your GT walking away from me quite easily since you've got 100+ more rwhp than I do. You could likely run the 0-100 mph in less than 9 seconds (with traction), whereas I'm just shy of 10 seconds. Either of us would kill a stock GT which takes over 13 seconds to hit 100 mph. Gotta love the boost! Why'd I wait so long?

Put some sticky tires on your GT, Ruf, and you'd be side by side with me - maybe a fender or two ahead of me. The big 4,800 rpm stall converter I'm running really launches my car hard, but you could dump the clutch from as many rpm's and stay with me since we both have 4.10 gears and boost.

Past 60 mph, my money would be on your GT walking away from me quite easily since you've got 100+ more rwhp than I do. You could likely run the 0-100 mph in less than 9 seconds (with traction), whereas I'm just shy of 10 seconds. Either of us would kill a stock GT which takes over 13 seconds to hit 100 mph. Gotta love the boost! Why'd I wait so long?

I've got Nitto 555r D/R's on now! 305x40's. :happy feet:

Boost? I'm with ya. Only thing I'm worried about is my next car! I'm used to having this much h.p. It won't be easy going backwards.

Archived