TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OK, I finally have something solid

And by solid I mean, consistant.

A while back I had asked you guys about why my car decided to randomly lose window calibration settings, odometer changes back to imperial, etc. Well I have been keeping an eye on it and have noticed something a little odd. In the last week, I noticed when starting my car, I heard an odd buzz coming from around the steering column, just when starting the car, as soon as the car is running, the buzz goes away and poof, gauges flipped reverted from metric back to imperial. This morning, hop in my car, put the key forward to the first notch, check everything, gauges are all metric, everything looks fine, turn the key, buzzzzzz, car is running, gauges are imperial.

Now, who has any ideas? :headscratch:

hehe, so bizzare.. I wonder if I should get my aftermarket daytime runners removed. Perhaps they are causing problems with the system, but then, that doesn't explain my TPMS system not accepting a calibration either (happened before the drl module was installed), and all of these other settings that like to flip around on their own.

A while back I had asked you guys about why my car decided to randomly lose window calibration settings, odometer changes back to imperial, etc. Well I have been keeping an eye on it and have noticed something a little odd. In the last week, I noticed when starting my car, I heard an odd buzz coming from around the steering column, just when starting the car, as soon as the car is running, the buzz goes away and poof, gauges flipped reverted from metric back to imperial. This morning, hop in my car, put the key forward to the first notch, check everything, gauges are all metric, everything looks fine, turn the key, buzzzzzz, car is running, gauges are imperial.

hehe, so bizzare.. I wonder if I should get my aftermarket daytime runners removed. Perhaps they are causing problems with the system, but then, that doesn't explain my TPMS system not accepting a calibration either (happened before the drl module was installed), and all of these other settings that like to flip around on their own.

Kaiserkreb,

I have no idea what's happening. However, have you ever seen that Stephen King Movie "Christine"? It's about a possessed car.... :hysterical::hysterical:

Stuart

You may have a ground someplace in the wiring that is causing all sorts of craziness. The buzzing may be a symptom and not the cause. The ground would also account for your battery issues. It also could be intermittent in the sense it only happens when another circuit is open for example when starting the car when that circuit is made the ground is felt throughout. Let off the ignition switch and all is well until the next time. Maybe a bad switch there? I don't have an electrical schematic so this is all basic stuff.

Also do not discount the daytime running light installation. The TPMS issue may be some entirely different problem. If they were in there splicing wires etc, there may be an exposed wire that's grounding out or a wire that's open which is activating some other switch etc.

I Love electrical but there is a lot to it and unless you had the schematic and a meter. etc. but if this happened shortly after the running light installation I would verify that installation and if possible remove from the system and test.

Good luck!

I'd have the dealer verify that your Smart Junction Box (SJB) is programmed correctly and is functionaing properly. Canadian cars need to have the SJB programmed differently becuase you have to have Daytime Running Lights enabled. Maybe when they did this they screwed up some of the other settings.

I'm pretty sure the TPMS and the Instrument Upgrade Package (IUP) are both controlled through the SJB.

There is an "as built" spec sheet that the dealer should get for your car VIN number over the Ford network and then they need to hook a laptop up to the ODB port on your car and verify that all of the bits in the SJB are correctly set for each feature.

They can also run diagnostics on the SJB to make sure it's doesn't have any fault conditions.

Good Luck...

Are you reluctant to take it into a Ford dealer? With their resources I would think they could get to the bottom of it faster than anyone else.

Well my local ford dealers were the ones that buggered up the TPMS in the first place and I haven't heard back from them in a year about the "fix" they were researching, so yes, you could call it reluctant. The running lights were installed after that whole mess so I can't blame the TPMS on that.

I'd have the dealer verify that your Smart Junction Box (SJB) is programmed correctly and is functionaing properly. Canadian cars need to have the SJB programmed differently becuase you have to have Daytime Running Lights enabled. Maybe when they did this they screwed up some of the other settings.

I'm pretty sure the TPMS and the Instrument Upgrade Package (IUP) are both controlled through the SJB.

There is an "as built" spec sheet that the dealer should get for your car VIN number over the Ford network and then they need to hook a laptop up to the ODB port on your car and verify that all of the bits in the SJB are correctly set for each feature.

They can also run diagnostics on the SJB to make sure it's doesn't have any fault conditions.

Good Luck...

Well, the whole thing with the TPMS started with me going to the dealer to see if it could simply be enabled in the SJB rather than a costly and scary splice in of a DRL module, I was watching him mess around on his laptop while it was plugged in, and he was checking some option which specifically stated (paraphrased as I don't remember the exact wording) "DOING THIS WILL REQUIRE RECALIBRATION OF THE TPMS SYSTEM, WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTINUE?" To which he clicked ok, closed the laptop and unplugged it. So who knows what that caused, probably unplugged the damn thing in the middle of it updating a setting, rendering it corrupt it or something. The car was running and the fault cleared as I got in it to take it home so I never noticed the TPMS fault until the next day when I started the car.

Like I mentioned though, this all happened before the DRL module installation so I can't really blame that for the TPMS problem, but I am becoming more suspect of there being a small problem with the module install, I might just get it pulled and restored to original (it's passed canadian safety anyways now... ) to see if the problem goes away. I suppose I should take the car to my too far away to be local SVT dealer and have them check it over about the TPMS issue, as I'm sure they work with newer cars more than my local dealer does and probably have a lot more experience with a problem such as this. I should note, I did buy the training tool from that site that was posted a while back, the sensors all report that they have trained properly, but once you turn the car off and restart it you're back to square one with a TPMS fault on the guage. Faulty intermittant SJB problem perhaps?

when it was checked out for tpms faults did any codes come up?and did they retrain all 4 sensors(the horn will sound for each sensor)and why did they install a drl module as it is sjb programmable? :headscratch:

I took it back in for them to check the sensors and left, came back, he said he tried retraining the sensors and they wouldn't take. That's all I got out of them, then they said they were going to research it and get back to me. That was a year ago. If it was something a little more mission critical than the tire pressure sensors I would worry, but if they didn't get back to me in an entire year after they broke it, I'm not taking it back there. I also picked up a TPMS trainer for 10 bucks and verified that it wouldn't hold the training. The horn beeped after each wheel, the display said training completed, then you start the car and it fails again.

As for the DRL module, every ford dealer I phoned in the province, including the biggest one (an SVT dealer no less) located in Saskatoon told me that they were just going to install a DRL module so I assumed it could not be done from the SJB. What the hell do I know I'm a computer tech. lol. I saw no reason it couldn't be done but when they tried to find it the first time I took it in to get that done specifically, that's when they initially broke the TPMS messing around in something that had nothing to do with it.

The only problem with putting more computers in cars is that alot of mechanics I have met just don't work well with computers....

Where do you live? You sound like a knowledgeable guy, I'll bring it to you. lol

Archived