TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question on Supercharger Boost

Snakehead

I've put about 500 miles on the car so far. I love it. I haven't noticed any boost on the psi gauge in first gear.

The boost is very strong in the other gears when I get on it, but still nothing in gear one. Any ideas on what might cause this? Am I not putting enough load on the car from a standing start?

Snakehead,

You must have gotten the first car with the running design change. Ford has decided to delete the traction control in favor of no boost in first gear. It's part of their effort to respond to the demands dissatisfied owners, forum members and auto rags that complain the GT500 is too fat and too expensive. :lol:

Snakehead,

I had the same situation and was a little concerned. Although I was getting a little boost on the gauge when I took it to about 5500 rpm. I did speak to Ralph Arning at SVT yesterday about this. Basically he told this was normal. He also told me that traction control would limit boost in first gear and that if I disengaged the T/C I would get more boost (but not much). I did this and noticed abut 2-3 psi when I hit it but not much more than that. He said this was normal and that 7-9 psi boost would come mainly in the 2,3, 4 gears when more torgue was present.

I am curious to see if others are experiencing the same thing?

I have no idea what you guys are talking about i just went out to lunch not 5min. ago a in the florida heat i can see 8psi in 1st,2nd, 3rd( i only went to subway by the time i hit 3rd gear i was there) but if you have traction in 1st i dont see why you should not have full boost. If you are loseing traction then i you will see a drop in boost as the motor is not under the same load.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about i just went out to lunch not 5min. ago a in the florida heat i can see 8psi in 1st,2nd, 3rd( i only went to subway by the time i hit 3rd gear i was there) but if you have traction in 1st i dont see why you should not have full boost. If you are loseing traction then i you will see a drop in boost as the motor is not under the same load.

brands5.0,

very interesting. that is what i would have expected too but my gauge is not reading like that. it is doing exactly what snakehead described. i will play around with it a little more and get back on this. i guess i was thinking that there just wasn't enough load coming out of first gear to kick in the s/c?

can anyone else confirm their boost reading in first gear?

brands5.0,

very interesting. that is what i would have expected too but my gauge is not reading like that. it is doing exactly what snakehead described. i will play around with it a little more and get back on this. i guess i was thinking that there just wasn't enough load coming out of first gear to kick in the s/c?

can anyone else confirm their boost reading in first gear?

after reading your post,i checked out my car on the way home...full boost in 1st gear,comes on about 2200 at 3/4 throttle...floored is 9 lbs...in first..

I think I've been driving too conservatively, plus I've never driven a supercharged car before.

Based upon the response by Brands5.0 (thank you), I punched it in 1st from a 5mph rolling start. The gauge went right to full boost. Tires chirped nicely even with the TCS on. Didn't play too much with the TCS off, but I plan on doing so this evening.

GT50035: You might want to experiment a bit before you get too concerned.

Another observation: I'm surprised that I'm getting so much of the boost at low RPMs. For example, if I'm cruising slowly in 3rd (or any gear for that matter) at 2k RPM or so and I floor it, the supercharger kicks in full steam like I hit a nitrous button. The whine is addicting. I had expected that it would be necessary to downshift more often and keep the RPMs up to get the supercharger juices flowing, but that has not been my experience so far.

Thanks for all the input.

I think I've been driving too conservatively, plus I've never driven a supercharged car before.

Based upon the response by Brands5.0 (thank you), I punched it in 1st from a 5mph rolling start. The gauge went right to full boost. Tires chirped nicely even with the TCS on. Didn't play too much with the TCS off, but I plan on doing so this evening.

Another observation: I'm surprised that I'm getting so much of the boost at low RPMs. For example, if I'm cruising slowly in 3rd (or any gear for that matter) at 2k RPM or so and I floor it, the supercharger kicks in full steam like I hit a nitrous button. The whine is addicting. I had expected that it would be necessary to downshift more often and keep the RPMs up to get the supercharger juices flowing, but that has not been my experience so far.

Yeah the boost / supercharger in this new Cobra and the 2004 like I have is throttle controlled. You can get max boost at 1200rpm's in 6th gear tooling on the highway if you just floor it.

I like this style of supercharger because you don't have to be in a specific band of your RPM's for it to kick in and start working for you.

Oh, and the supercharger whine is truly addicting. :shift:

Glad i could help. GT50035 My advice still stands just floor it. if your geting full bost in 2,3,4,5,6 then your just not getting on it that hard in 1st.

Do like snakehead did 5MPH IN 1ST the floor it all the way to 6000rpms, as long as there is a belt on that baby you see 8-9 psi

The supercharger is belt-driven off the engine, so it's always turning. It should be no surprise that it's there at all times. This is why I prefer superchargers to turbochargers. I'm sure there are some computer controls that moderate the boost levels depending on "mapping". The 3-dimensional table in the computer that has rpm on one axis, throttle position on the 2nd, and I can't remember the third axis is called a "map". The computer takes the three inputs, looks in the map for what fueling level is required, and signals the injector. However, this has more to do with fueling, not the rotation of the supercharger...which is what causes the "whining" noise.

Dave

Snakehead (and everyone on this thread), I did just that today and wham!!! I must admit I have not driven a superchargerd vehicle before and I just wasn't hitting it hard enough. Wow, what a difference. Full boost instantly. I know I'm a rookie but I won't be for too long now. I was approaching a ramp (with no traffic around me of course) at about 5 mph in 1st gear and I just nailed it. The s/c immediately began it's whine and the gauge went to full boost. Oh and I lost some rubber on my tires too. I hit it hard again in 2nd gear and again instant full boost and a little more lost rubber. Just a case of me being a bit of a rookie and not knowing exactly what I have under the hood. Now I know. Tomorrow is going to be nice in Columbus and I will most likely be minus a little more rubber after tomorrow.

Thanks to all for being patient with me.

in this new Cobra

Where does it say Cobra on it? :rolleyes:

Where does it say Cobra on it? :rolleyes:

Probably referring to the Cobra emblems...them little snake things. Which reminds me...I remember reading somewhere that they redesigned the snakes (not sure if it was done for all '07s or specifically the GT500) to have sharper fangs than previous years.

Dave

Geoff-

I'm a bit of a rookie at this as well. Good luck with your car. I can tell you're enjoying it.

Thanks buddy. Everyday I drive it I become more and more comfortable with it. 1100 miles already. Not sure how much longer the weather will hold out in Columbus Ohio but I wil be make the most of it before the white stuff hits.

You enjoy too!

Probably referring to the Cobra emblems...them little snake things. Which reminds me...I remember reading somewhere that they redesigned the snakes (not sure if it was done for all '07s or specifically the GT500) to have sharper fangs than previous years.

Dave

When I showed the car to one of my favorite lady friends, she asked me why Ford put SEAHORSES on the car!!!!!!

Larry

When I showed the car to one of my favorite lady friends, she asked me why Ford put SEAHORSES on the car!!!!!!

Larry

:hysterical: A woman's perspective is always insightfull (my wife told me that ;-)

Hmmm cobras and seahorses -- they're a dead ringer for each other, except one spits water, right?

Actually, this one looks pretty mean!

Archived