TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dyno Pull of 2008 SGT/SC with SAI Installed KB

Below is a photo of the print out of the second of two pulls from September 20, 2008. Time was 9:00 a.m., 67.2 degrees F, humidity was 75%, elevation was sea level (it's San Diego, go figure). Transmission was a 5-speed.

Results were 453 FtLb Torque (at about 4,000 RPM) and 447 RWHP (at redline) at 10.9 pounds of boost. Using a 15% loss factor, that equates to 526 HP at the crank.

A/F ratios show as a bit variable and somewhat conservative. You can see the lower RPM numbers at a typically lean ratio of 14.5, becoming richer to 10.8 at the top end.

I had no expectations for this pull (the first pull was lower, about 13 lower on both torque and hp).

I share this with you all as I have not seen any data on the factory (SAI) KB units installed on the 4.6L motor. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome. Lulu, as should be done with all performance posts (IMHO), the torque number is listed first.

I shot video of this pull. I have seen a fair number of pulls but the sound coming out of the car was unlike anything I had heard from a Whipple or Paxton. It sounded more like a jet whine as it went from about 4,000 RPM to redline. Not good or bad -- just different. If I can find a genius to help me get the video posted, I will do so.

DSC_0445.jpg

Wow - those are some impressive results! I have to say - for the $$$ I'm thinking that the KB IS the way to go.

The performance is remarkable! I just think that I'll like the fact that when I open the hood for some show & tell and people see Kenne Bell, jaws will drop! That's the sort of effect I'm looking for. Not to mention to improvement in performance.

I'm excited about making my SGT into a GT/SC - I think I may even work on trying to get my SGT out to SAI for this conversion.

Have you heard anything about there being a time limit on getting this done? (Thinking about the registry and proper documentation)

Trevor

Have you heard anything about there being a time limit on getting this done? (Thinking about the registry and proper documentation)

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I have not heard anything about time limits in terms of the registry. Maybe Roger knows something about that (if anyone does, it would be him). It would be super to get your car to SAI for the S/C. Bud does watch over these cars like a mother hen.

Jim

That is outstanding!! Could I trouble you to post a photo of your under hood finished results. Some photos of the install if you have them would be great along with a brief write-up on how your install went. Give us some on the road impressions as well!!

Next time I'm in San Diego, I'd love to see it.

Chip

That is outstanding!! Could I trouble you to post a photo of your under hood finished results. Some photos of the install if you have them would be great along with a brief write-up on how your install went. Give us some on the road impressions as well!!

Chip

Hi Chip,

Anytime you are here let me know and we will get together with it. My original underhood photos are found here: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=32194&hl= Go to Post #19 and you will see them. I have more if you want them.

In terms of the install, okay, you asked for it. I have just been provided with a bunch of photos of my build. Now these photos go all the way back to when there was a Paxton put on the car, which was what I ordered. That changed when Paxton could not get CARB certification for 2008. Anyway, that is why you will see two different S/C units on the car. The install was done at SAI do I did not have a hand in it.

The driving impressions are still being formed. Everything happens in a real hurry to be sure. Everything about it, from how it looks to how it sounds to how it pushes the car, is close to perfect in my book. Here are the Photobucket links to most of the build photos.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff161/c...%20Build%20One/

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff161/c...%20Build%20Two/

cool good numbers on the KB i am suprised at the diference between it and my Whipple

my torque was lower but my HP was alot higher Ill scan and post mine sometime soon

I would like to see the print out. You were doing your pulls at a much higher temperature, too.

Jim

Hi Chip,

Anytime you are here let me know and we will get together with it. My original underhood photos are found here: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=32194&hl= Go to Post #19 and you will see them. I have more if you want them.

In terms of the install, okay, you asked for it. I have just been provided with a bunch of photos of my build. Now these photos go all the way back to when there was a Paxton put on the car, which was what I ordered. That changed when Paxton could not get CARB certification for 2008. Anyway, that is why you will see two different S/C units on the car. The install was done at SAI do I did not have a hand in it.

The driving impressions are still being formed. Everything happens in a real hurry to be sure. Everything about it, from how it looks to how it sounds to how it pushes the car, is close to perfect in my book. Here are the Photobucket links to most of the build photos.

Damn, that's cool...

Congrats - great car!

Jer

Chip

The road impression of Jim's car was great! The acceleration was fantastic! (we were trying to see if the boost gage would move, and it did!) LOL

Awesome numbers Jim!

They are interesting. What I am surprised to see is how close the torque and horsepower numbers are. Frankly, I have never seen a dyno pull that produced numbers that close. The spread is usually more like 07-2937's numbers for his Whipple, 426 FTLBS torque and 466 RW horsepower. I have never seen any claim by KB that the torque and horsepower numbers tend to be close. I will try and get the car on a different dyno this week to see if there is some difference in the spread.

Jim

Hi Chip,

Clark, Chip; is that a rubber coolant hose in the manifold valley? I thought Ford had changed that because if the hose breaks you have to remove the whole intake manifold, never mind now also the Super charger, just to change a coolant hose? Did you consider changing to a metal hose? Or was I looking at something different?

Clark, Chip; is that a rubber coolant hose in the manifold valley? I thought Ford had changed that because if the hose breaks you have to remove the whole intake manifold, never mind now also the Super charger, just to change a coolant hose? Did you consider changing to a metal hose? Or was I looking at something different?

Let me check.

Jim

Jim, go to photo #344.

Thank you

I think you are right. I wish I would have known that so I could have suggested a better set up. For those about to put KBs on your cars, you might want to ask about this.

Jim

Chip

Check out here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...p;hl=kenne+bell

for some more pictures of the installed system. Included are some before and after (actually, side by side) pictures.

You're welcome to stop by Colorado if you're in the area.

I think you are right. I wish I would have known that so I could have suggested a better set up. For those about to put KBs on your cars, you might want to ask about this.

Jim

Jim, I think this would apply to Whipples also. I don't know why Ford puts a rubber hose in the manifold valley rather than a metal pipe. Maybe they are concerned the metal would rust. I dont know. If anyone knows why Ford puts a rubber hose under the manifold, please let us know. Eventually it is going to break or leak and that will be expensive to replace.

Jim, I think this would apply to Whipples also. I don't know why Ford puts a rubber hose in the manifold valley rather than a metal pipe. Maybe they are concerned the metal would rust. I dont know. If anyone knows why Ford puts a rubber hose under the manifold, please let us know. Eventually it is going to break or leak and that will be expensive to replace.

Do you mean braided hose, a metal pipe would not allow for expansion and contraction....

Do you mean braided hose, a metal pipe would not allow for expansion and contraction....

Possibly. But first, why does Ford put a coolant hose where it requires removing the intake manifold, and super charger if so equipped, just to change a hose. You know that hose will break at the most inopportune time. I don't know if the anti-freeze would have the opportunity to seep into the block area and ruin bearings and the entire engine. Anyone out there with some first hand knowledge on the rebuilding of the 4.6 and why that hose is in that location and if it could be converted? Obviously the time to do it would be when the manifold is off for the supercharger. LuLu, 68 Fastback, Chip et al...

Archived