TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front camber bolt kits

Has anyone installed the Ford camber bolt kit? I purchased one today and want to make sure I received the correct parts.

What was included in your kit?

Sorry, don't know. My GT will need to have the upper strut mount replaced if all the reports are right so I'm going to get one of the caster camber plates.

Could you please explain. I'm not aware of any issue.

Roger

Hey Roger,

Here is some tech info, keep in mind this is written by the people trying to sell their product so it is probably a little biased. Having said that, I had the Maximum Motorsport caster/camber plates installed in my car and they are very high quality and work as advertised.

Tech Info

Here is the '05 - '08 version: Caster Camber Plates

Camber bolts will work also of course (for a lot less money) if you just want make adjustments to avoid uneven front tire wear.

I had Quantum Performance install the Eibach Camber bolts on my SGT while in for my hood install.

They then sent her out for an alignment. There is still some obvious, and visible negative camber with my front wheels, but not nearly as much as it was before. It almost looked like the driver side was more tipped in at the top than the passenger side. They are even now.

I don't have any specifics as to what came along with the Eibach camber bolt kit.

I had Quantum Performance install the Eibach Camber bolts on my SGT while in for my hood install.

They then sent her out for an alignment. There is still some obvious, and visible negative camber with my front wheels, but not nearly as much as it was before. It almost looked like the driver side was more tipped in at the top than the passenger side. They are even now.

I don't have any specifics as to what came along with the Eibach camber bolt kit.

Hi Trevor,

Do you have the print out from the alignment? If so, can you post it here? Thanks.

Jim

I have often wondered about the effect of the lowering of the vehicle from SAI as I assumed they did not do an alignment job afterwards. Has this been an issue for anyone? Is anyone seeing premature tire or possibly even suspension wear? Has SAI addressed this issue in the past? Would a Ford dealer correct the alignment under warranty or would SAI?

Hey Roger,

Here is some tech info, keep in mind this is written by the people trying to sell their product so it is probably a little biased. Having said that, I had the Maximum Motorsport caster/camber plates installed in my car and they are very high quality and work as advertised.

Tech Info

Here is the '05 - '08 version: Caster Camber Plates

Camber bolts will work also of course (for a lot less money) if you just want make adjustments to avoid uneven front tire wear.

Thanks,

I did run them on my 04 Cobra. It made a huge difference in the alignment after installing the Eibach Pro springs. I do know that the Eibach bolt kit includes the bolts and nuts along with instructions to elongate the lower holes in the front strut to gain adjustment. They are quality pieces. It just seemed to be more by the above post. I thought I was missing something.

I do know of one member who installed the bolts. Before installation, one wheel was within spec. with out the bolt the other was out and not by much at all. They installed both bolts and re-aligned to spec. at the members request.

Roger

The bearing on the stock strut plate has been reported to fail frequently and prematurely. Steeda had a replacement strut plate with a spherical bearing two years ago. Since then several companies have introduced replacement strut plates that also allowed camber and caster adjustments. The clunk from the front end will tell you if the stock bearing has failed.

The bearing on the stock strut plate has been reported to fail frequently and prematurely. Steeda had a replacement strut plate with a spherical bearing two years ago as a replacement. Since then several companies have introduced replacement strut plates that also allowed camber and caster adjustments. The clunk from the front end will tell you if the stock bearing has failed.

Thank you for the response. I was not aware the condition existed.

Roger

The problem is supposedly worse when the car is lowered and/or higher rate springs are used. I have 8K miles on my 07 and the stock plate is just fine and I have the FRPP handling pak installed. The pak both lowered and stiffened up the springs. I'm just waiting for the bearing to fail to make the switch. BTW, the camber was OK on the passenger side after the pak was installed. The drivers side was just .25 degree out. The mechanic drilled out the bolt hole on the strut and was able to get it back into specs. I wouldn't be able to set the camber at zero without the plates if I wanted a road track setting.

Yep I got 'em. With the lowering kit on my SGT they were necessary since the inside of my tires were being eaten up and the front end could not be aligned. After Quantum Perf. installed them it was like a different car.

I don't know what all came with the kit but I do know it was not expensive. About $35 if I remember correctly.

I have often wondered about the effect of the lowering of the vehicle from SAI as I assumed they did not do an alignment job afterwards. Has this been an issue for anyone? Is anyone seeing premature tire or possibly even suspension wear? Has SAI addressed this issue in the past? Would a Ford dealer correct the alignment under warranty or would SAI?

My understanding was they did not.

Nor was it needed according to Ford Racing....anybody else remember this from old topics?

Nor was it needed according to Ford Racing....anybody else remember this from old topics?

Cant find the topic but I seem to remember some were able to get it covered under warranty and some were not. Depended on the dealer.

I don't remember the "according to FORD Racing" part but other than owner chatter I do not recall an official stance other than silence. I know it was absolutely necessary for my SGT.

Of course I don't remember any "official" stance on the axle being off centered either but I do not believe it has caused any problems for anyone.

Has anyone installed the Ford camber bolt kit? I purchased one today and want to make sure I received the correct parts.

What was included in your kit?

I had my local tire shop install the camber bolts ($35), laser align ($60) and then list the before and after camber numbers. I've posted a copy of the sheet. One side was off much more than the other. I had them align within Ford specs.

ShelbyGTAlignment31908-1.jpg

Iowa, any changes in handling, braking, etc?

No, not really any difference I can notice in the handling. I kept a certain amount of negative camber but mine wasn't that far off from the factory specs. Putting the camber bolts on and have a realignment was more of a preventative measure. Others...I think stump had wear issues on his tires. I wanted to make sure and nip it in the bud.

• 7 months later...
Yep I got 'em. With the lowering kit on my SGT they were necessary since the inside of my tires were being eaten up and the front end could not be aligned. After Quantum Perf. installed them it was like a different car.

I don't know what all came with the kit but I do know it was not expensive. About $35 if I remember correctly.

Stump how are your tires after this install holding up? I've noticed significant leaning on top/front wheels which is concerning me since i'm running 20'' wheels....

Archived