TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, you think your S/C belt is squealing on shifts?

BanditSRT8

So you may remember I have posted about hearing my supercharger belt squealing under hard shifts. On those threads many others have said they hear it as well.

Well, I found out yesterday that it is absolutely NOT the supercharger belt squealing! It is our alternator belt.

I know, I know... I argued it as well, but here's what I found out at the SVT-specific speed shop I went to.....

IF the s/c belt was squealing (and of course they have the ability) they would not do it when you shift, but under load when the s/c is spinning up. For example, if you were riding 3rd gear up high then slammed on the gas (no gear changing) then when the load was heavy on the motor and on the s/c, you would then hear the squeal.

In my case, and in some other's who have posted, the squeal happens when you dump the clutch after engaging the gear. A quick little chirp that comes from under the hood.

As it was explained to me, then as I witnessed, the alternator belt is running fast then when you push the clutch in, rotation slows down on the alternator and when you dump the clutch after entering the next gear, the alternator is barely moving... then the belt tries to go fast with the alternator hub barely spinning... there's your squeal. The alternator spinning slowly and the belt sliding across it that's moving faster.

As it was explained to me, this causes no damage or excessive wear, but if it ever did, the worst you'd have to worry about is replacing a worn alternator belt.

So you may remember I have posted about hearing my supercharger belt squealing under hard shifts. On those threads many others have said they hear it as well.

Well, I found out yesterday that it is absolutely NOT the supercharger belt squealing! It is our alternator belt.

I know, I know... I argued it as well, but here's what I found out at the SVT-specific speed shop I went to.....

IF the s/c belt was squealing (and of course they have the ability) they would not do it when you shift, but under load when the s/c is spinning up. For example, if you were riding 3rd gear up high then slammed on the gas (no gear changing) then when the load was heavy on the motor and on the s/c, you would then hear the squeal.

In my case, and in some other's who have posted, the squeal happens when you dump the clutch after engaging the gear. A quick little chirp that comes from under the hood.

As it was explained to me, then as I witnessed, the alternator belt is running fast then when you push the clutch in, rotation slows down on the alternator and when you dump the clutch after entering the next gear, the alternator is barely moving... then the belt tries to go fast with the alternator hub barely spinning... there's your squeal. The alternator spinning slowly and the belt sliding across it that's moving faster.

As it was explained to me, this causes no damage or excessive wear, but if it ever did, the worst you'd have to worry about is replacing a worn alternator belt.

Thank you. Mine has had the squeal from the very beginning.

Archived