TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear End Howl?

54L4VSC

Have been noticing a slight howl coming from the rear of the car. Seems to be getting progressively worse (louder) the last two times I have driven it. At freeway speeds, especially decelerating or letting it coast down, the noise gets a little louder. After only short 30 mile trips at speed, the rear end is very hot to the touch and could not touch more than ½ second without getting burned. Is this normal temperature for the rear end? My co-worker has a V6 and it was just mildly warm. Would there be oil missing or something else going on? Will try to make service appointment later this week. 08 with 1,300 miles. Thanks.

Have been noticing a slight howl coming from the rear of the car. Seems to be getting progressively worse (louder) the last two times I have driven it. At freeway speeds, especially decelerating or letting it coast down, the noise gets a little louder. After only short 30 mile trips at speed, the rear end is very hot to the touch and could not touch more than ½ second without getting burned. Is this normal temperature for the rear end? My co-worker has a V6 and it was just mildly warm. Would there be oil missing or something else going on? Will try to make service appointment later this week. 08 with 1,300 miles. Thanks.

I have noticed the same howl on decel with mine also. Mine has 1300 miles...

Im hearing a howl when turning in at low speeds after the car warms up. Im thinking its the rear end but its hard to tell. Ive got some parts on the way and plan on taking mine in for this among other things when the parts show up.

I have noticed the same howl on decel with mine also. Mine has 1300 miles...

Your ring and pinion are toasted. Take your cars into the dealer. The noise and the internal damage will only get worse as time goes on.

i have 2200 miles on my 08, i was driving it tonight and noticed the same thing, the higher the spped the worse it was. I thought it was just me. Anyone have any info on the tsb? Also noticed I had some fluid coming form the vent tube on the rear axle a while ago.

BTW: to the second poster... yours is NORMAL.

You are going to hear a howl when turning sharply at very low speeds (like in a parking lot), this is your posi. I thought it was odd too, but even the brand new rear end was doing it, and I asked about it... perfectly normal.

I would not say it is normal. I had my 07 rear end fixed because of noise when turning (like in a parking lot). It happened after the car was warmed up and if I remember correctly, I had less than 1000 miles. Now my 08 is doing the same thing with approx 1500 miles. I did not know there was a TSB for the rear end. Anyone know the number?

I would not say it is normal. I had my 07 rear end fixed because of noise when turning (like in a parking lot). It happened after the car was warmed up and if I remember correctly, I had less than 1000 miles. Now my 08 is doing the same thing with approx 1500 miles. I did not know there was a TSB for the rear end. Anyone know the number?

my 08 does the whining noise on straight roads and changes on accel and decel.Does this tsb apply to 07 and 08?

my 08 does the whining noise on straight roads and changes on accel and decel.Does this tsb apply to 07 and 08?

The TSB is for the 2005 - 2007 Mustang GT 8.8 rear end. There is no TSB on the GT500 rear end.

tsb08_05_10_Mustang_GT_rear_end_groan.pdf

It may not be an actual TSB, my apologies... but Ford does know of the issue, and that a LOT of GT500's are exhibiting this behavior. When I brought mine in, the tech knew what it was as he had seen it before, they submitted the info and Ford told them to replace the entire rear-end. It appears to be a problem on a fairly large scale, but I do not know the build dates that are affected.

It could be a constant squeaking that gets faster as you accelerate (this was my issue) and it can cause the brakes to squeal because of the bent axle. Others have reported this howling at speed. The howling on tight turns at low speed is a different scenario.

I looked at the old ticket from when I had my 07 rear end fixed. Here is how they described the problem and what they did

"When warm, on turns there is a chatter from rear end. Verified concern, found that the clutches were the cause of noise. Removed track bar and sway bar then removed diff, installed new clutch pack in rear end"

I would not call it a chatter, more of a low pitch whine. Was a bit off on the milage in my last post, the car had 2375 miles at the time of the repair. Never had the problem again and it had over 12000 when I traded it in on my 08.

I looked at the old ticket from when I had my 07 rear end fixed. Here is how they described the problem and what they did

"When warm, on turns there is a chatter from rear end. Verified concern, found that the clutches were the cause of noise. Removed track bar and sway bar then removed diff, installed new clutch pack in rear end"

I would not call it a chatter, more of a low pitch whine. Was a bit off on the milage in my last post, the car had 2375 miles at the time of the repair. Never had the problem again and it had over 12000 when I traded it in on my 08.

I too have the problem, after the rear end is warm. Dealer has parts on order. 4100 miles on the unit. Good time to upgrade the gears perhaps?

I too have the problem, after the rear end is warm. Dealer has parts on order. 4100 miles on the unit. Good time to upgrade the gears perhaps?

I thought the same thing about the gears. It will not save you any money. At least it wouldn't for me, the work they do for the repair is different from the work to replace the gears. Someone who knows more than me can explain it better than I can.

I thought the same thing about the gears. It will not save you any money. At least it wouldn't for me, the work they do for the repair is different from the work to replace the gears. Someone who knows more than me can explain it better than I can.

Where can I find the TSB for the rear end. Thanks

Kerry

The TSB is for the 2005 - 2007 Mustang GT 8.8 rear end. There is no TSB on the GT500 rear end.

I had the predecesor TSB 07-22-08 done on my GT500, even though it didn't really apply, the car had the same symptoms. The dealer simply added the friction modifier since it was built after 10/22/06. Months later the noise returned; I only hear it while making slow tight turns. IMO it cannot be truely fixed unless the clutch packs are replaced.

I don't plan to do anything to fix the issue until Ford comes up with a TSB that applies to the GT500. The clutch packs specified by the current 08-05-10 TSB are specific to the Mustang GT. The LS differential clutch packs in the GT500 are different and are made of carbon fiber material for higher torque applications. Here is a link to the clutch pack kit used in the SVT Mustangs.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=6942

Hey, thx for the input. The dealer is tallking about replacing the clutch pack with Ford racing parts, (i.e. the carbon ones...). When I asked about the gears, they said I would only have to pay for the parts. Let's wait and see. I was pleased with their action plan not to simply add friction modifier.

Hey, thx for the input. The dealer is tallking about replacing the clutch pack with Ford racing parts, (i.e. the carbon ones...). When I asked about the gears, they said I would only have to pay for the parts. Let's wait and see. I was pleased with their action plan not to simply add friction modifier.

Interesting. I was made to understand that it was more work to replace the gears than to just replace the clutch pack. That is why they wanted to charge me for the labor if I wanted the new gears at the same time.

took mine in about 2 weeks ago for a rear end whine on accel AND decel.They tried to put some parts in it to no avail as that seemed to be the chain to follow from Ford.

They gave it back,I went 400ft and it was more F'd than when I took it in.They called Ford and were told no more working on any GT500 or Bullitt diffs,Big head bearing,Because the correct parts aren't available.My dealer just installed a complete and rust free assembly which BTW exhibits the low speed turning noise right out of the box.I'm used to that but the gear whine had to go.At times it sounded like I was under boost,That bad!

I imagine a service bulletin will follow on the replacement shortly.

took mine in about 2 weeks ago for a rear end whine on accel AND decel.They tried to put some parts in it to no avail as that seemed to be the chain to follow from Ford.

They gave it back,I went 400ft and it was more F'd than when I took it in.They called Ford and were told no more working on any GT500 or Bullitt diffs,Big head bearing,Because the correct parts aren't available.My dealer just installed a complete and rust free assembly which BTW exhibits the low speed turning noise right out of the box.I'm used to that but the gear whine had to go.At times it sounded like I was under boost,That bad!

I imagine a service bulletin will follow on the replacement shortly.

So are you saying that if the correct parts were available, there would be no slow speed turning noise? Do you know what parts are needed for a permanent fix?

Thx.

All that have exhibited this problem, were you still running stock gears, or other? I'm still running stock, and haven't heard anything unusual....thusfar.

Since there is no TSB on the rear end issue your having, on what basis is the dealer getting approval from Ford to change the entire rear end? What documentation is Ford using to approve the changeout?

Or maybe they plan to update the GT TSB to include our GT500's and are just using it as their guidance for now. Just curious :headscratch:

All that have exhibited this problem, were you still running stock gears, or other? I'm still running stock, and haven't heard anything unusual....thusfar.

Since there is no TSB on the rear end issue your having, on what basis is the dealer getting approval from Ford to change the entire rear end? What documentation is Ford using to approve the changeout?

Or maybe they plan to update the GT TSB to include our GT500's and are just using it as their guidance for now. Just curious :headscratch:

Running stock 3.31 gears. I don't know the exact dealer ordered replacement parts at this time.

So are you saying that if the correct parts were available, there would be no slow speed turning noise? Do you know what parts are needed for a permanent fix?

Thx.

No they obviously will never fix the low speed turning noise.The parts they claim are unavailable are the correct 3:31 gears and pinion head bearing.The bearing is available in a newly released Ford racing gear install kit from Blue Oval Industries for about $130.I guess the dealers can't get parts from them :hysterical:

As far as the rust issue,I got some Rustloeum clear and was spraying the assembly the night it came home!I was going to paint it black but with the clear you can see all of the paint and marks etc and it looks relatively original.Overspray is also not a problem.

I have the noise when turning. Bought the 2007 coupe in Vegas last October, drove it home, got it registered, mileage was about 1,700 when I put it in the garage for the winter. Drove it back to Vegas in May for the 40th conversion, and noticed the slow speed turning noise. I took it to Gaudin Ford where I bought it, for a 3,000 mile oil change, and told them about the whine. They followed TSB 08-5-10 by adding the additive, under warranty. I didn't notice, and they didn't mention, that this TSB was for a GT only.

I dropped it off at SAI the next day, and don't remember hearing any more whine. However, I was a little excited about getting the 40th package, and it was only a 15 mile trip or so; not many tight turns.

I picked up the car in July, with the 725HP KB and swap to 3.73 gears. By the time I got home, I noticed the slow speed whine again. My local SVT dealer added the additive again, in case SAI didn't put in it, and recommended some slow figure-8's to push it into the clutch pack. That seemed to work, but in the last couple of weeks, it's noisy again.

I was also charged $80 for parts and labour - no drivetrain warranty with the KB, which in this case, doesn't seem right, since the problem existed before the mods.

Mine also exhibits some light whine under acceleration and deceleration. It is NOT LSD clutch pack noise, I know what that sounds like from many other vehicles - mostly Chrysler stuff.

My dealer is very cooperative . . . maybe I can get him to install a 3.73 at no extra labor charge while he's at it. :D

Archived