TEAM SHELBY FORUM

You're Not Going To Believe This

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So do I understand that the dealer put the old scoop back on after repainting it? That's the first pic I've seen with the stripes cut out around the scoop. Is that the way SAI is doing it now? Thanks for the pics.

Jim

They had gotten a new scoop and stripe kit for my car. When they installed it they scratched my scoop. They were going to replace a week later and thats when SAI's new scoop came in and was wider and the rivet holes would not line back up. So rather then wait another two or more weeks for an un-holed scoop, they removed and painted the one they had scratched. It accually matches the color of the stripes better then before. As far as the trim around the stripes that is something that Ford Racing and SAI came up with. It is something they have been looking at for the wrinkle problem because it sounds like they are a little unsure about the wrinkles and the latest new scoop.

Anyway I can live with it for now and I went to a local hang out this weekend and everyone made positive commets about it. If I have any stripe issue later I will just bite the bullet and have them painted on since I have about another year on the warranty.

As far as the trim around the stripes that is something that Ford Racing and SAI came up with. It is something they have been looking at for the wrinkle problem because it sounds like they are a little unsure about the wrinkles and the latest new scoop.

I know that we were kicking that idea around, but with the new scoop that we are using, it does not cause the stripes to bunch up like they did before. We do not trim the stripe around the hood scoop at this time. The scoop is still mounted on top of the stripes like they used too.

Now, if the repair shop wanted to reuse the "old" hood scoop, it may have been suggested to cut a relief in the stripes so that the "old" scoop would not bunch the stripes. The new scoop that is being sent out now, when installed properly, will not bunch the stripes.

Bud

They had gotten a new scoop and stripe kit for my car. When they installed it they scratched my scoop. They were going to replace a week later and thats when SAI's new scoop came in and was wider and the rivet holes would not line back up. So rather then wait another two or more weeks for an un-holed scoop, they removed and painted the one they had scratched. It accually matches the color of the stripes better then before. As far as the trim around the stripes that is something that Ford Racing and SAI came up with. It is something they have been looking at for the wrinkle problem because it sounds like they are a little unsure about the wrinkles and the latest new scoop.

Anyway I can live with it for now and I went to a local hang out this weekend and everyone made positive commets about it. If I have any stripe issue later I will just bite the bullet and have them painted on since I have about another year on the warranty.

I just got my new stripes and scoop and they are thankfully not cut out like this.

So when you have the new scoop installed is it recommended that the stripes also be replaced or is this only if you have problems with them ? I currently don't have any major problems with my stripes, they are a little dull and I guess thinner than the new replacements but other than that they are fine. Should I look into having them replaced inorder to get the thicker, glossier stripes ? and if so do you get all of them replaced ?

Don

Large hardware stores or places like Grainger.

Steve

45_1.JPG

I've heard these refered to as nutserts also. Seems to me that this is a great way to go as you can control the amount of clamping force by tightening a screw rather than the fixed clamping force of a rivit. Also, one needs to be real careful with the rivit gun such that you don't slip after the popping the rivit mandral and hit the paint. With a screw, this is a non issue. A little low strength loc tite and done.

Chip - what type and diameter screws did you use?

......you can control the amount of clamping force by tightening a screw rather than the fixed clamping force of a rivit......With a screw, this is a non issue. A little low strength loc tite and done.

Chip - what type and diameter screws did you use?

Mrichards,

Your comment is my contention exactly. But it's more than that. Once you rivet that scoop in place on top of the vinyl stripes, if you ever have a problem with your stripes and need to replace them, you need to drill all those rivets out which will almost certainly damaged the hood scoop and damage the hood itself as well. The Mustang hood is thin aluminum and it won't take a whole lot of abuse. A spinning rivet that doesn't drill out cleanly (and you know at least some of them are going to spin when you try and drill them out) is going to damage your scoop. We will need to go through an entire summer and winter before it's known for certain that riveting down a scoop on top of vinyl stripes and then cooking the entire assembly in engine heat after shutdown as well as extremes of cold and heat due to weather is going to hold up. When the scoop is installed using rivet nuts the scoop can be attached with "just enough force" to hold it securely in place. That puts far less pressure upon those vinyl stripes in the first place. Second, if you ever did have a problem with your vinyl hood stripes, the rivet nuts would allow you to remove your scoop in minutes without damaging anything, replace the stripes, and reinstall the scoop. It seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm just a dumb gas station operator from Arizona.

I intend to attend CS86 in January where I hope a lot of our members can examine my car's hood scoop. My Shelby GT has the original silver vinyl stripes on the entire car except for the hood where the stripes are painted on. Unless you examine the car very closely you cannot tell the difference in my stripes nor will you notice a difference in my hood scoop if you're not looking for it. The scoop and stripes will be most of a year old by then. Rereading my posts it sounds like I sell hood scoops for a living. I want to restate that I have no financial interest in Phoenix Composites or in the sale of these scoops. If and when they build one for a member I do not receive a dime. I have not asked for nor have I received one penny for all of the development work that I did. Shelby's are my passion and my hobby, not my business.

I don't know off the top of my head what size screws and rivet nuts I am using but I'll find out and let you know.

Chip

post-12804-1223582597_thumb.jpg

FordRocks1,

I note in your signature that you are a Marine, or perhaps your son is. If that is indeed the case, yes you may drive my Ford GT.

Chip

Chip,

I was a Navy Corpsman stationed with Marines at Camp Lejeune,NC. 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance BN.

I'm not on active duty anymore, IRR. Had a great time with those guys..Thanks for the drive but I don't think that I am quite ready for such a beast...I have only seen one of those in real life and that was at Terlingua. The thing was twin turbo charged,sick. I love how the car sits, piece of art in motion but sitting...Again,awesome collection!!!

Me1.jpg

Chip,

I was a Navy Corpsman stationed with Marines at Camp Lejeune,NC. 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance BN.

I'm not on active duty anymore, IRR. Had a great time with those guys..Thanks for the drive but I don't think that I am quite ready for such a beast...I have only seen one of those in real life and that was at Terlingua. The thing was twin turbo charged,sick. I love how the car sits, piece of art in motion but sitting...Again,awesome collection!!!

Me1.jpg

Great photos. As a Navy Corpsmen stationed with the Marines I will assume you are a medic. Every Marine's best friend. Semper Fi and thank you for your service. If you're ever in the Phoenix area send me a PM. The Ford GT is no harder to drive than your Shelby GT. A little lower, a little lighter, twice the horsepower, and half the visibility. It's really a pretty mellow car until you crank it up. Then it's most impressive. You would both enjoy it and have no trouble at all driving it as it is much easier to work with than a Marine!!!

Chip

Mrichards,

Your comment is my contention exactly. But it's more than that. Once you rivet that scoop in place on top of the vinyl stripes, if you ever have a problem with your stripes and need to replace them, you need to drill all those rivets out which will almost certainly damaged the hood scoop and damage the hood itself as well. The Mustang hood is thin aluminum and it won't take a whole lot of abuse. A spinning rivet that doesn't drill out cleanly (and you know at least some of them are going to spin when you try and drill them out) is going to damage your scoop. We will need to go through an entire summer and winter before it's known for certain that riveting down a scoop on top of vinyl stripes and then cooking the entire assembly in engine heat after shutdown as well as extremes of cold and heat due to weather is going to hold up. When the scoop is installed using rivet nuts the scoop can be attached with "just enough force" to hold it securely in place. That puts far less pressure upon those vinyl stripes in the first place. Second, if you ever did have a problem with your vinyl hood stripes, the rivet nuts would allow you to remove your scoop in minutes without damaging anything, replace the stripes, and reinstall the scoop. It seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm just a dumb gas station operator from Arizona.

I intend to attend CS86 in January where I hope a lot of our members can examine my car's hood scoop. My Shelby GT has the original silver vinyl stripes on the entire car except for the hood where the stripes are painted on. Unless you examine the car very closely you cannot tell the difference in my stripes nor will you notice a difference in my hood scoop if you're not looking for it. The scoop and stripes will be most of a year old by then. Rereading my posts it sounds like I sell hood scoops for a living. I want to restate that I have no financial interest in Phoenix Composites or in the sale of these scoops. If and when they build one for a member I do not receive a dime. I have not asked for nor have I received one penny for all of the development work that I did. Shelby's are my passion and my hobby, not my business.

I don't know off the top of my head what size screws and rivet nuts I am using but I'll find out and let you know.

Chip

Chip - Now that is one hell of a stable. Thanks for the pictures.

FYI: I don't know what you do but I will say what Donald Trump said " a person may have money but is not rich until they learn to enjoy their money". I think you've hit that point whether you know it or not.

Nice frign stable!

Swede

Great photos. As a Navy Corpsmen stationed with the Marines I will assume you are a medic. Every Marine's best friend. Semper Fi and thank you for your service. If you're ever in the Phoenix area send me a PM. The Ford GT is no harder to drive than your Shelby GT. A little lower, a little lighter, twice the horsepower, and half the visibility. It's really a pretty mellow car until you crank it up. Then it's most impressive. You would both enjoy it and have no trouble at all driving it as it is much easier to work with than a Marine!!!

Chip

LOL!!! Yes, Corpsman is a Navy term for medic. I took care of my Marines just as they took care of me, we all did have a special bond despite me being a "squid". Thanks, I'd definitely like to see such a collection first hand. I must say that driving a Ford GT has to be easier than driving a LAV-our 8 wheeled armored personnel carrier. We have our own BN website... http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/iim...f/sites/2dLARbn

This is the day we got the order from our commander in chief...History....2003

Daybeforethe-1-1.jpg

Nice photos Chip Bruce from WI will be buying one of your super scoop in spring SGT away for winter . Alot of Vets here did 25 years Active Army Tanks,both crewman and then mechaic, last 8 years in Medical recruiting, that is how I meet my wife now full Bird Bde commander, nice to see other Vets here.

Archived