TEAM SHELBY FORUM

You're Not Going To Believe This

Our new 2008 has the riveted scoop and wrinkles at nearly every rivet. I don't know, from reading here I believe the wrinkles were caused by not letting the stripes sit for two days in the sun before the scoop was attached. I'm currently waiting replacement but I don't think my dealer's body shop has ever done stripes so I'm scared to death. I may try to move the process to Wayne Morris Ford but they are 3 hours away.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw a riveted on scoop on a new 08 at the dealer. The rivits caused the stripes to wrinkle badly. I'm not getting mine riveted. :doh:

That was the old design that didn't play well with the thicker stripes found on the 08's. This new scoop has been designed specifically NOT to do that.

The wrinkles on my 08 hood stripes ARE AT EVERY RIVET. CAN BE SEEN FROM EVERY SIDE.

DONE as the original upfit AT THE FACTORY (SAI) IN VEGAS.

The scoop is perfect. The stripes are horrible. I wonder how this passed quality control?

(RETORICAL QUESTION, BUT THANKS ANYWAY!)

Not like there has ever been a hood scoop/hood stripe issue on any previous cars that they would or should have been diligently checking the 08s BEFORE they got on a truck.

(sarcastic remark, not intended to draw a response!)

Yes, I understand from reading this thread that there is a proposed "fix" to replace my scoop

and stripes without creating the wrinkle effect in the new stripes. I only hope it works.

Warranty claim to have the whole shabang replaced under way.

Wish me luck.

Hi all,

Yes, we just found this out too. What we have been doing now is sending out the hood scoop UNDRILLED. This way the dealer can mark the scoop and drill it to the existing hole pattern, and the hood does not need to be drilled again. All of the remaning scoops going out now are not pre-drilled. This will end all of the confusion and will end the HOOD SCOOP SAGA!!!! :happy feet:

Have a good weekend all!!!!!!

Bud

Bud, I have to ask this and I am not trying to be a jackass. But did some guy with a cordless drill just stand there and randomly slam holes through the scopps with the rivots? And did someone not think to check the dimensions of the old scoop versus the new one? Im in the manufacturing world so to me when I read this I shake my head and wonder WTF.

Bud, I have to ask this and I am not trying to be a jackass. But did some guy with a cordless drill just stand there and randomly slam holes through the scopps with the rivots? And did someone not think to check the dimensions of the old scoop versus the new one? Im in the manufacturing world so to me when I read this I shake my head and wonder WTF.

:lurk:

Sounds like a perfectly good (back to basics) question to me. Just amazing :headscratch:

Jim

The wrinkles on my 08 hood stripes ARE AT EVERY RIVET. CAN BE SEEN FROM EVERY SIDE.

DONE as the original upfit AT THE FACTORY (SAI) IN VEGAS.

The scoop is perfect. The stripes are horrible. I wonder how this passed quality control?

(RETORICAL QUESTION, BUT THANKS ANYWAY!)

Not like there has ever been a hood scoop/hood stripe issue on any previous cars that they would or should have been diligently checking the 08s BEFORE they got on a truck.

(sarcastic remark, not intended to draw a response!)

Yes, I understand from reading this thread that there is a proposed "fix" to replace my scoop

and stripes without creating the wrinkle effect in the new stripes. I only hope it works.

Warranty claim to have the whole shabang replaced under way.

Wish me luck.

Wicked I am sorry for Dale and you. I am sure all will be better soon, hang in there-

Thought this picture would help...you can clearly see the rivet holes on this unlucky 08 vert.

Once you see this one a little tape wrinkle looks pretty good

:cry:

So, umm, I guess that guy, for one, is not too concerned about his hood scoop quality anymore..... :cry:

Screw you and your perfect looking hood scoop! :banghead:

P.S. anybody else have ir-removable water spots on their stripes? Are they vinyl? How do I get new stripes.....or the spots off?

If you have what a lot of us have/had on our stripes, don't even bother trying to clean them. Ain't Happnin'. You can get them replaced under warranty. Go to a TRUSTED Ford Dealership to start the warranty process. And yes, they are vinyl.

EDIT: They may also send rivets to repair the scoop at the same time.

Evan.

Screw you and your perfect looking hood scoop! :banghead:

P.S. anybody else have ir-removable water spots on their stripes? Are they vinyl? How do I get new stripes.....or the spots off?

Screw (via Rivet-Nuts) one of Heath's masterpieces onto your hood and be done with it. Here's some photos of my scoop now several months old. Even with my Whipple cooking it from below, it's perfect. No dips, no ripples, no gaps, and no cracks. Vinyl-Ester resin glasscloth will hold up to 350+ degrees forever and last for decades. Some of our members have endured $2000 worth of aggravation to get 3 or 4 free warranty hood scoops. I spent a few bucks and saved Shelby a few bucks and put the issue behind me without changing the signature looks of my Shelby GT. It looks better without the black plastic block off plate and works as a heat extractor for my S/C. Unlike the flat top of the factory scoop, I put a slight arch (to follow the hood contour) in the top of the scoop and in the scoop opening. It's very subtle, and you would not notice it if I didn't point it out. I think it looks much better. Money well spent!

Chip

post-12804-1222752685_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1222752696_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1222752705_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1222753050_thumb.jpg

Screw (via Rivet-Nuts) one of Heath's masterpieces onto your hood and be done with it. Here's some photos of my scoop now several months old. Even with my Whipple cooking it from below, it's perfect. No dips, no ripples, no gaps, and no cracks. Vinyl-Ester resin glasscloth will hold up to 350+ degrees forever and last for decades. Some of our members have endured $2000 worth of aggravation to get 3 or 4 free warranty hood scoops. I spent a few bucks and saved Shelby a few bucks and put the issue behind me without changing the signature looks of my Shelby GT. It looks better without the black plastic block off plate and works as a heat extractor for my S/C. Unlike the flat top of the factory scoop, I put a slight arch (to follow the hood contour) in the top of the scoop and in the scoop opening. It's very subtle, and you would not notice it if I didn't point it out. I think it looks much better. Money well spent!

Chip

Chip with all the talk about bubbling due with the hood pin screws any concern with the Rivet-nuts?

Well I finally got my car back. It was taking so long to get the unrivetted hood scoop the dealer took the scoop off re-painted it and I think it matches the stripes better and looks pretty good at this piont. So while they had it I had them put on a set of the black powder coat valve covers and BBK pulleys. Are are some pics.

post-19717-1223485394_thumb.jpg

post-19717-1223485394_thumb.jpg

Archived