TEAM SHELBY FORUM

You're Not Going To Believe This

Just got off the phone with my dealer. They got the new re-designed hood scoop in and went to put in on my car. Now it was to my understanding that this new scoop would replace the riveted scoops as well. Guess what? It is wider then the old scoops so the rivet holes will not line up. Because the scoop moves if they drill new holes they are afraid the new scoop will tear the exsisting rivet holes and the scoop will fly off. This now makes four scoops and four different sets of problems. Will someone please get on the ball. Not that I'm bitching or anything.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got off the phone with my dealer. They got the new re-designed hood scoop in and went to put in on my car. Now it was to my understanding that this new scoop would replace the riveted scoops as well. Guess what? It is wider then the old scoops so the rivet holes will not line up. Because the scoop moves if they drill new holes they are afraid the new scoop will tear the exsisting rivet holes and the scoop will fly off. This now makes four scoops and four different sets of problems. Will someone please get on the ball. Not that I'm bitching or anything.

I'm so glad I never replaced my original scoop with the riveted one, and never will, unless they replace the hood too!! :happy feet:

I'm so glad I never replaced my original scoop with the riveted one, and never will, unless they replace the hood too!! :happy feet:

This is my fear!! I just got a call from my dealer telling me my new scoop is in. I'm very worried that these bodyshop guys will screw it up. My scoop on my 2007 is lifting and warped. They will have to remove the hood and use caution not to bend the hood or go through the second layer of metal. If they mess up the stripes in the process thats another problem. I'm "off the chain" on this. The other thing is Stephanie will not leave the car and they will have to do it as we watch. Don't know if that will happen as the dealer will do it on their time, when they are ready.

Sometimes things are better left alone but I notice the scoop changing over the last 17 months. The car is not a daily driver and sits during the week in the garage.

certainly not what I wanted to hear....I was thinking that the original hood scoop had bolts only and the rivets were fake...haven't looked at that close. Am I wrong???? :headscratch:

The other thing is Stephanie will not leave the car and they will have to do it as we watch. Don't know if that will happen as the dealer will do it on their time, when they are ready.

Glenn, I doubt it very much the dealer is going to let you watch as they do the work. They'll probably give you the "For insurance purposes schmeal" or something like that.

Evan.

SGT 2823,

I thought I read on one of the many scoop threads that the rivets are fake. There are supposed to be 4 bolts holding it down.

My scoop sits on my hood like it is supposed to but there are a few dimples above a couple of the middle rivets on the drivers side. They are only noticable in the right light, at the right angle. Not enough of a problem to replace anything yet.

Are the CSM numbers sequential: do they give an idea were a certain car falls in the production run and add-on parts schedule? I'm curious if the scoop problem is random throughout the production run or it is specific to series of CSM numbers?

SGT 2823,

I thought I read on one of the many scoop threads that the rivets are fake. There are supposed to be 4 bolts holding it down.

My scoop sits on my hood like it is supposed to but there are a few dimples above a couple of the middle rivets on the drivers side. They are only noticable in the right light, at the right angle. Not enough of a problem to replace anything yet.

Are the CSM numbers sequential: do they give an idea were a certain car falls in the production run and add-on parts schedule? I'm curious if the scoop problem is random throughout the production run or it is specific to series of CSM numbers?

The 2007 SGT's had bolted on hood scoops with fake rivets and one of the fixes for the warped scoop was to drill out the fake rivets and install real ones. The 2008's all have riveted hood scoops. I think I may have read that some of the late 2007's may have also had riveted scoops but don't hold me to it.

Evan

Correct, the later model 2007's and the 2008's had riveted scoops. Mine is CSM07SGT0433 so it came with the bolt on a first. It just bent all out of shape and since the hood stripes were bad I had both replaced. The replacement of course was the riveted scoop.

Then came the stripe wrinkles around the scoop. They replaced the stripes and scoop again since they could not re-use that scoop once they drilled the rivets out. So now I've replaced the original and two other scoops.

Of course again the stripes wrinkled and I lived with it for a while until it just drove me nuts. Since the rest of the stripes had spotted, I took it back and they replaced the all stripes and the scoop once agian. This time Shelby and Ford Racing had the dealer trim the stripes around the scoop as this is an option they have been looking at for the wrinkles. The trim job really did not look bad. However they screwed the scoop up during the insulation and odered another scoop to take care of thier mistake.

Now here comes the new re-designed scoop. It is made of a harder material then the old ones and have less flex in them. They are also about 1/8 inch wider then the old. So of course the holes will not line up and since the scoop is more ridged it can not flex enough to begin to even try and line things up.

SGT 2823,

thanks for the clarification. Thought I loosing it. Mine is the original and it has always had the appearance of being too close to a golf course with dimples. Then after about 250 miles drivers side started to warp and now has got to the point where you can see daylight when sitting in the drivers seat. I have filed a claim, but haven't heard anything yet. Hope it's one of the new scoops. Craig :doh:

Please verify yourself and get back to us.

Hi all,

Yes, we just found this out too. What we have been doing now is sending out the hood scoop UNDRILLED. This way the dealer can mark the scoop and drill it to the existing hole pattern, and the hood does not need to be drilled again. All of the remaning scoops going out now are not pre-drilled. This will end all of the confusion and will end the HOOD SCOOP SAGA!!!! :happy feet:

Have a good weekend all!!!!!!

Bud

Thanks Bud. Not that I'am unhappy with the car. The car is great and is a blast to drive. I not only feel that it's a great car but I was buying a part of automotive history. Just I keep having the same issue. But I glad to see that progress is being made to correct the problems rather then blowing them off.

My dealer told me they will have the issue fixed by Monday. I have my fingers crossed, but again thanks for the update.

Does this mean that we should all start lining up at our local for dealerships to have our old scoops replaced with new ones now??????

I mean - I want to know before I start the process. My original hood is still in the shipping box from Quantum, before I crack the seal on that box, I would like to know that I'm not going to be upset with the outcome.

I'm still half tempted to keep the original scoop on that hood - it's 'Original Equipement' and 'Installed at Factory' . . . . .

I don't know what to do now.

SGT 2823,

Gentlemen,

This is incorrect. Many owners think that their original hood scoop is held down by four bolts because that's all that are visible when you open the hood. The original hood scoop is held down by eight bolts and two small set screws at the leading edges of the scoop. Four of the large bolts are covered up by the hoods insulation, the four bolts in the center of the scoop penetrate the thin insulation in the center of the hood and are visible from the bottom. The original hood scoop did not use any rivets, fake or real. It used a total of 25 dome top set screws. The two little set screws at the leading edge of the scoop toward the front of the car actually penetrate the hood and help hold down the leading edge. The other 23 dome top set screws are dummies that do not screw down into the hood and are there for appearance only. Rivets were first used on the second-generation of the Shelby GT hood scoop with all 25 of them penetrating the hood to hold it down and the eight large bolts holding it down from the center were eliminated. Rather than dealing with all of this, after doing a lot of research (which you can read by performing a search of "Absolute Hood Scoop Final Fix") I built my own hood scoop out of vinyl-ester resin fiberglass, using Rivet-Nuts to hold it down. The silver stripes on the hood of my car and on my hood scoop are painted on. They match the vinyl stripes on the rest of the car perfectly. Cheers.

Chip

post-12804-1221975991_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

This is incorrect. Many owners think that their original hood scoop is held down by four bolts because that's all that are visible when you open the hood. The original hood scoop is held down by eight bolts and two small set screws at the leading edges of the scoop. Four of the large bolts are covered up by the hoods insulation, the four bolts in the center of the scoop penetrate the thin insulation in the center of the hood and are visible from the bottom. The original hood scoop did not use any rivets, fake or real. It used a total of 25 dome top set screws. The two little set screws at the leading edge of the scoop toward the front of the car actually penetrate the hood and help hold down the leading edge. The other 23 dome top set screws are dummies that do not screw down into the hood and are there for appearance only. Rivets were first used on the second-generation of the Shelby GT hood scoop with all 25 of them penetrating the hood to hold it down and the eight large bolts holding it down from the center were eliminated. Rather than dealing with all of this, after doing a lot of research (which you can read by performing a search of "Absolute Hood Scoop Final Fix") I built my own hood scoop out of vinyl-ester resin fiberglass, using Rivet-Nuts to hold it down. The silver stripes on the hood of my car and on my hood scoop are painted on. They match the vinyl stripes on the rest of the car perfectly. Cheers.

Chip

Chip , got to talk with Heath yesterday , and I will be ordering the scoop , I did ask for instructions , and pictures , so if you happen to have some I can reference from here or you cna send I'd appreciate the help. I still think you guys have the correct redesign , and it should have been done that way in the first place , ,,,, So sounds like your happy with the SC , any chance of seeing you at Willow Springs next week??

By the way Reno was great , and Strega put the hurts on Rare Bear , and next year Steve Hinton flys Strega ...........shades of Red Baron

Gotta love Reno ............ZDS

Does this mean that we should all start lining up at our local for dealerships to have our old scoops replaced with new ones now??????

I mean - I want to know before I start the process. My original hood is still in the shipping box from Quantum, before I crack the seal on that box, I would like to know that I'm not going to be upset with the outcome.

I'm still half tempted to keep the original scoop on that hood - it's 'Original Equipement' and 'Installed at Factory' . . . . .

I don't know what to do now.

Cjonsidering you have the CS6 hood, I think I would keep the original scoop. You wont have to look at it everytime you drive it and will still have the original. Kind of the best of both worlds.

I've had this thought as well, but I decided that by the year this has any real meaning (like maybe 2040) I may not care anymore and, while I''m semi-young and enjoying the SGT, I'd rather be looking at a scoop now which does not have defects.

I had my new rivited scoop installed a week ago Wed. I was very happy with it, the dealer did a great job and even matched the old fake rivets for me. Yesterday the scoop cracked by the rear corner rivet........oh well back to the drawing board...

Just wait till the winter. Thats when those riveted scoops may really crack.

Gentlemen,

Chip

Chip,

Can you please have Heath check his PM's??? I would like to order one of yours so that I can have it done in time for the B-Day Bash in January 2009... THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

I had my new rivited scoop installed a week ago Wed. I was very happy with it, the dealer did a great job and even matched the old fake rivets for me. Yesterday the scoop cracked by the rear corner rivet........oh well back to the drawing board...

:banghead: Oh my gosh....SAI-Bud - now what??

The dealer used different rivets than those that were supplied? :lurk:

Archived