TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 reactions

thewheelman

The first time I took my brother for a ride, when I floored it he gasped loudly. Once we had dropped out of warp, he turned to me and said, "You know, you should install some of those fasten seatbelt and no smoking lights from a plane. It sounds and feels like a jet that's taking off!"

The greatest amount of attention that the Shelbys get is when they run in a pack. At each of Grabber's gatherings, we've gone on a cruise, and let me tell you, 20+ Shelbys all running together gets some SERIOUS rubbernecking from other drivers and nearby pedestrians.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird people......I was coming home from church the other night, top down, rolling slow and this car load of kids (indeterminet ages) pulled along side and the guy in the passenger seat leans out the window and says, "Is that for real? That's the sexiest car I've ever seen. I think I just creamed my jeans!" Hmmm, not exactly the terms I would have used.......I dunno, weird people......

Weird people......I was coming home from church the other night, top down, rolling slow and this car load of kids (indeterminet ages) pulled along side and the guy in the passenger seat leans out the window and says, "Is that for real? That's the sexiest car I've ever seen. I think I just creamed my jeans!" Hmmm, not exactly the terms I would have used.......I dunno, weird people......

Now if that had been an older teenage girl, you'd have a story for a lifetime.....and a grin to match

The first time I took my brother for a ride, when I floored it he gasped loudly. Once we had dropped out of warp, he turned to me and said, "You know, you should install some of those fasten seatbelt and no smoking lights from a plane. It sounds and feels like a jet that's taking off!"

The greatest amount of attention that the Shelbys get is when they run in a pack. At each of Grabber's gatherings, we've gone on a cruise, and let me tell you, 20+ Shelbys all running together gets some SERIOUS rubbernecking from other drivers and nearby pedestrians.

Yup had that happen going to DEARBORN

I also noticed little kids seem to know what it is, not sure if it's all the X-Box GranTurismo games but they always seem to point out to thier mom's what's driving by.

Just happened to me an hour ago: a school bus pulls in front of me, and a young kid (13 maybe?) stares out the back window, then gives me the thumbs-up.

I was annoyed the bus pulled out, as the road was clear behind me (50 mph zone). As we crest the hill, doing 35-40, a cruiser coming the other way hits the instant-on radar. I wasn't annoyed anymore... LOL

Car full of high school kids pull up next to me at the light. One leans out and says "That is a bad car" Then says, "Is that a 69 base?" What the hell is that all about?

This might be a long shot, but do you think the kid meant "is that a 69' Boss?"

Just a thought.

Car full of high school kids pull up next to me at the light. One leans out and says "That is a bad car" Then says, "Is that a 69 base?" What the hell is that all about?

Maybe the kid was saying "based" like as in based on 67 Eleanor GT500. And just doesn't know Eleanor is a 67, not 69. Or... maybe the kid was a dumbass! :hysterical:

What a terrible place we find our selves in when children learn about hot cars from a video game! LOL! But you're right, a lot of times it's the tweens that recognize what it is before the adults do........I just grin and wave!

No, the kid was trying to ask what model year the "retro look" replicated. Yeah, you can see some '69 in this car.

My brothers and I have always had V-8 muscle cars. One had a '69 Roadrunner and a '68 GTO along with many other cars he built engines for and all were fast. The other had a late '80's Vette with a highly moded 350 that was quick along with other fast cars. We always had something fast and felt the need to make it faster. Long story longer - when they both got to drive my GT500 I got the highest of all compliments. When your brothers (fellow hot rodders) tell you your car is the fastest! No arguments. Just your car rules! Priceless!

This is the highest compliment I have ever received!

Had quite a few reactions today driving through Destin, Florida.

Had two dudes in a Mazda RX-8 following me for about 4 miles, they seemed to really get a kick out of it when I would shoot through a clearing in second gear and dissapear. I would slow down for the next batch of traffic and they would catch up 10 seconds later :hysterical: Finally the guy pulls up around the drivers side and his passenger says with no hesitation "That's the baddest car" And snaps a pic with his cellphone. That was pretty cool.

Also had a bright orange Lamborghini Murceliago drive towards me on a 15 mph road as I was heading out. I got a good look at this machine, it was gorgeous. I gave the guy a thumbs up and he slowed down as he was passing me and then stopped so the back of his vehicle was at my drivers side window. He then gave it a nice rev, sounded awesome. Lamborghini and Shelby were 69ing.

Also some homeless looking dude on the street yelled out " I AM LEGEND!" as I was at a stoplight :hysterical:

Wow, all great stories. The ONLY time anyone noticed me.......

I was driving through town in the center lane, and this Harley passes me on the Left . He gets about 30 feet in front , then turns back and looks at my grill. Then crosses over to the Right lane and looks back again! Really checking me out. Shakes his head about 3 times, then gives me a "thumbs up".

This tingle runs down my spine, and I give him a "thumbs Up" back! Then he speeds off.

Now he was ridding this really "Chromed up bike" and it was probably something really special. But I don't know a pan-head from a hard-tail, and I thought.....WoW a "Harley Guy" knew what my car really was! And wished I could return the complement, but didn't know what He had.

So.... a lot of drivers probably recognize the cars we drive as something special....but have never seen a Shelby. So they just Grin and wave, like I did.

Truckers probably have "tricked-out" Kenworths and Peterbuilts also but I can't recognize them.

But Man!.......A Harley-Guy gave me a "Thumbs-Up".......that made my whole Week!

Sitting in the left turn lane yesterday and a guy pulls up in a Rousch Mustang (not bad looking) and says "Nice Mustang." Then he does a double take and asks "Is that a Shelby?" I said yes. He says "I didn't notice at first, nice." Think he had Mustang envy. :D

Local wallyworld tonight, the cart pusher stopped, right in the middle of the driveway and forced me to slither around him to a parking spot. He did the owl-head swivel to watch me go by. When I parked and got out he hollered across the lot, "What size engine has that got in it?" I said, "a 5.4, supercharged." His reply, "bitchin!" Haven't heard that one in a long time.....then again he looked like he was from my generation....

Local wallyworld tonight, the cart pusher stopped, right in the middle of the driveway and forced me to slither around him to a parking spot. He did the owl-head swivel to watch me go by. When I parked and got out he hollered across the lot, "What size engine has that got in it?" I said, "a 5.4, supercharged." His reply, "bitchin!" Haven't heard that one in a long time.....then again he looked like he was from my generation....

You took your GT-500 to Wal-Mart?!?!?!?! ....tweet!! :redcard: 15 yard penalty for wreckless endangerment! :lol:

Man, mine goes everywhere! No fear! Although the other night at church there were some kids playing dodge ball in the parking lot. I informed their parents that if they didn't want to lose a child, don't hit the alloy convertible.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a few responses. The Day I bought it, I had to drive across country from Arkansas to South carolina to work. I stopped in Memphis to refuel. There was a lady on the other side of the pump, she glanced at the car and smiled. After pumping I started the car and pulled into a parking space to so I could go in and use the restroom (I hate it when people block a pump while they go in side, have lots of pet peeves). When I got out of the car after moving, the woman came jogging up going "I didn't realize it was a GT500! Beautiful Car!" and told me about the 01 cobra she had and how much she liked it.

Another time at a stop light I looked in the rear view mirror to see the guy behind the steering wheel of a Ford truck pointing vigorously and apparently telling his wife/girlfriend in the passenger set to look at the gt500.

I took people at work several days to notice because I'm usually the first one there, and I always park in the last parking place to limit the people that can park close to me. Everyone was used to seeing my black '96 cobra parked there, and they didn't notice when it was replaced with a black with dark gray striped GT500. yes.... a second black mustang, I must have a deep seated masochistic tendency.

It's been beautiful here (KY) the last week or so and since I'm not out of town working, I go snitch the GT 500 from the wife about mid morning and run my errands (I seem to find plenty the days I have the car). Sitting in traffic the other day with the top down I heard someone yell. I didn't understand what was said but checked all the mirrors and looked around. They yelled again and this time I understood the young lady in the car behind me, "I love your tail lights!" I was making a left turn and have the sequential tail light kit in the car. She was taking pic with her cell phone. Never ceases to amaze me.

I have only had my '09 Black/Red stripe coupe for just over 3 weeks, but I have been approached numerous times at stoplights, people have yelled at me as I passed by, etc. At a birthday party the other day for a female friend (surprise party), people found out I had a GT500 parked outside and exactly 5 seconds after the guest of honor arrived and everyone yelled "Surprise!" the place emptied out to go look at my car. Also have had numerous "challenges" while out driving...funniest was a kid about 18 or so in a black 5.0 Mustand GT who pulled alongside in stop and go traffic, gave me a mean, snarly look and revved his engine a couple times. I cracked up. Not sure what he expected me to do....run into the car in front of me?

Frankly, the toughest thing to deal with will be the urge to street race. Not gonna do it (did lots when I was young), but just find it hard to turn the other cheek.

Frankly, the toughest thing to deal with will be the urge to street race. Not gonna do it (did lots when I was young), but just find it hard to turn the other cheek.

Me too! I have a really tough time keeping my emotions and 500 horses in check. Saturday morning wife and I went to breakfast in the GT 500. At the end of my street a kid pulled up behind me in an 80's Camaro and gunned the engine several times. It looked like an adult (dad) in the passenger seat and I'm sure my tags (FLYBYU) prompted some of it. So, I turned the corner and eased away. He jumped right out on my bumper, gunning and grinning. I had eased into 3rd for a moment and cleared a corner then told my wife to hang on, dropped it into second and floored it. She screamed, I grinned and they were left in the dust. When I got to the next intersection, I was well away before they arrived. Wife asked what they did when I floored it, I said, fade. My goal in life is to never blow rust particles and soot onto someone else's windshield from lack of use!

Have fun!

my favourite reactions:

1- the first time my dad saw the car,he said "wow that looks like the shelby's i remember from the 60's" he thought it would just be a plain looking sort of mustang but he really likes the look of it and he isnt into cars all that much either.

2-when i took my best friend for his first ride,he was laughing in joy. he said it was the quikest car he has ever been in and he just couldnt believe the sound of the super charger. he's been in all my other cars but he told me the shelby is now his favourite ride.

3-how many people become true believers of this car after they experience a ride :happy feet:

My favorite reaction:

The first time my dad came to visit after I got the Shelby, I took him for a ride. (It was still stock, mind you). We were chatting a bit while I drove to a deserted stretch of road. I then stopped, revved it up, and took off like a bat outta hell. My dad instantly stopped talking and grabbed onto the door handle and center console like his life depended on it. He didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. hysterical.gif

I can't wait to give him a ride now that I've got 606 rwhp. fear.gif

I've had countless reactions, countless people taking pics, etc. I even had one guy ask me if he could take pics while I was stationary in a McDonald's drive thru lane.

Just two weeks ago, a guy driving his SUV along side took pics of my daughter and I. Afterwards, my daughter said the next time someone does this, she'll take pics of the guy taking pics of us.

Then last week, a teenage girl hangs out of the passenger side window of a truck she was riding in and hells, "We want to hear it..!" This sort of thing seems to happen weekly. But my all-time favorite is this:

Sitting at a red light in the left lane about four cars back on a street with a curve to the right, I noticed two cars in the left turn lane in front of me with no one beside me. I look in my driver's mirror and I see cars in the left turn lane. I couldn't help but wonder why no one was next to me in that lane, so I turn around to see if anyone is in my blind spot. Low and behold, a guy in an F150 is in my blind spot checking me out. I smiled and turned back around. The next thing I notice is he's now creeping forward. Obviously he was still focused on my car because he ran up the left curb!!!

Oh, I've had two local cops follow me into parking lots, approach me on foot to ask me if they could look at my car. Last week, I had a highway patrolman cruise next to me on I-10, roll down his window half way to give me a thumbs up. I almost yelled, "Wanna run?". Driving my red/white GT500 is like driving a car with a strobe light on top. Everyone seems to notice my car. I never envisioned any of this when I bought the darn thing.

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite reaction:

The first time my dad came to visit after I got the Shelby, I took him for a ride. (It was still stock, mind you). We were chatting a bit while I drove to a deserted stretch of road. I then stopped, revved it up, and took off like a bat outta hell. My dad instantly stopped talking and grabbed onto the door handle and center console like his life depended on it. He didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. hysterical.gif

I can't wait to give him a ride now that I've got 606 rwhp. fear.gif

Dude, I just laughed out loud reading this.

KC666 :rockon:

• 2 weeks later...

Big family time here in KY over turkey day and the GT 500 was the center of attention (after the turkey & dressing). Weather was pleasant here too--low 50's so today I loaded my 3 cousins in.....a really tight fit for 4 big guys, especially after the meals lately....and took them for a spin. We were all grinning so big when we got back.......I didn't really romp on it from a standing start but got it rolling good and punched it in second. When I hit third and it broke loose with the 4 of us in it....now that was impressive. One of my cousins runs cars for a lease company that caters to the journalists. Last week he delivered a Challenger SRT/8 and drove home a Viper--about 150 miles each way. He said the Viper was a rocket but not so nearly livable as the Shelby and the SRT/8 was very refined and muscular, but nothing to hold a candle to the Shelby. After that we put the top down and cruised the kids around. They were all suitably impressed....I had a blast!

Archived