TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 reactions

thewheelman

Reaction to my GT 500 has been varied and interesting. I’m sure you’ve all experienced this, but only about 5% of the people, anywhere, actually KNOW what the car is and what those 6 letters across the trunk lid mean. Most of our social interaction is at church and by the way, my standing with teenage boys in the church has gone WAY up! Some people comment, “middle age crazy” etc. but generally when I point out that this is my 4th Mustang (3 of which were convertibles) and my 9th convertible in the last 36 years, that stops that nonsense. I’ve never, literally, since I was 16, been without a convertible as a daily driver, if I wanted to. Almost everyone recognizes that I’ve bought a “really sharp Mustang” but few and far between are those who recognize it for what it really is. And, granted, the alloy/black combo is not nearly as, uh, well, attention getting—shall we say, as some of the other combinations. It’s funny too, I’ve had the personalized tag “FLYBYU” for nearly 15 years now and some people are just noticing it—now that it’s on the GT 500.

I actually said all of that to get to this story. We teach High School Seniors at church and every now and then I find a kindred spirit in that group—automotively speaking. This year it is a senior girl named Mac. One of the other kids was pointing out, the other night at church, that so-and-so’s dad just bought them (the 16 year old student) a new Mustang “just like mine” only a hardtop. And most of you all know it’s sometimes better to nod and smile and not launch into an impassioned tirade about the differences in Mustangs. I was nodding politely when Mac stepped in and said, “That’s not what he got her! She’s got a V6 with stripes, this is a Shelby GT 500 with a supercharged 5.4 V8, built by SVT, and the only thing that’s alike on them is the color!”

She’ll make some fellow a fine wife some day!

Still grinning!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of when we were in our caravan going to the Romeo plant last week. When we would pass people that were standing along the road, you should have seen the expressions on their faces. There were people with their mouths hanging open, people counting use as we drove by and others that their eyes would follow each car going by. It was an amazing sight as the caravan went by.

So funny to see this thread after lunch today, as just driving back from lunch and a 25ish year old guy in a beater 1990's Nissan comes flying up behind me in traffic and I can see he is taking pictures of my car through his windshield with his phone camera. We come to a light and he gets beside me and almost reaches out the passenger window taking more pictures. I flashed a hook-em-horns to him and he gave me a thumbs up as we drove off.

Funniest time though was this past summer I drove with my wife down into Palo Duro Canyon, parked in one of the scenic overlooks, and got out. Just then a bunch of teenagers came walking up the trail and spotted my car. They had a fit, 'man, look at the cobra, wow' and well, you know teenagers. So we are in this State Park, stunning canyons and they all pull out there cameras and start taking pictures near ( not tounhing though) my car. My wife and I just had to laugh. Then they got into a pair of custom low-riders (ugly to me - but they had obviouslt spent some money on mods and paint etc.) and drove off.

Once I was driving my 68 year old mother down the boulevard here in the Panhandle and a dude in a van yells out the window "THAT'S A BAD MOTHERFUCKER!" lol, my mom got a kick out of that.

I see heads doing 180 degree turns, cellphone cameras, and plenty of questions when i drive this around. Seems to really get people going when they see a Shelby GT500. I know when I once saw a GT500 last year I went nuts.

The funnest/weirdest comment that I've heard about my car came from a guy who was behind me in a Porsche convertible at a red light.

He actually said (yelled over his windshield to be exact), and I quote:

"Your car is so bitchin; I just had an orgasm!"

I was so taken aback, I did not know how to respond. I think that I just turned around and gave him the thumbs up sign.

I swear on my mother's grave on that.

Reaction to my GT 500 has been varied and interesting. I’m sure you’ve all experienced this, but only about 5% of the people, anywhere, actually KNOW what the car is and what those 6 letters across the trunk lid mean.

I was thinking about this - kind of in rough numbers:

20% of the people out there recognize a Mustang

10% know the difference between V-6 and GT

5% know the difference between GT and Shelby versions

and most of them are us!

Anyway - true story also - I was driving in the curb lane and stopped for a red light. A bus pulls up beside me in the center lane, short of the vehicle in front of it, and I hear the bus doors open.

I peek over, and the bus driver is looking at me and says 'Beautiful car - you're a lucky guy!' I nodded, and told him it such a cool ride - I really love driving it.

He closed the door, and pulled forward, and there are twenty people on the bus all smiling at me as they drive away!

Love this car!!

I was thinking about this - kind of in rough numbers:

20% of the people out there recognize a Mustang

10% know the difference between V-6 and GT

5% know the difference between GT and Shelby versions

and most of them are us!

Anyway - true story also - I was driving in the curb lane and stopped for a red light. A bus pulls up beside me in the center lane, short of the vehicle in front of it, and I hear the bus doors open.

I peek over, and the bus driver is looking at me and says 'Beautiful car - you're a lucky guy!' I nodded, and told him it such a cool ride - I really love driving it.

He closed the door, and pulled forward, and there are twenty people on the bus all smiling at me as they drive away!

Love this car!!

Left you in the dust........Beaten by a Bus???????????? :hysterical:

On our very 1st ride into our town, we ran into a couple from Atlanta with a new Challenger, we parked beside them and tried to talk cars, but ended up showing both the cars to dozens of onlookers instead. I thought I would wear out the hood release showing off "the goods"!!!

Mike & Jo

post-22263-1221831799_thumb.jpg

post-22263-1221831799_thumb.jpg

here is my stories that make me wonder what people know about these cars.

1st--- the first time i ever went to get a gas fill up in december of 2006 some guy filling up his truck looks over and takes a long look at my car,then he asks me "is that a real shelby?". boy the thoughts that ran through my mind on what to tell him,first i thought "are you :censored: kidding me" but then i answered "yes it is".sometimes people are so stupid i dont even want to bother talking to them so off i went nodding my head and thinking to myself,man is that all that guy could come up with. would be nice if he said "nice car you got there,thats sweet".

2nd--- how many guys that just do not get it with this car on how fast it really is. like "come on how fast can that little v8 be,is it really 500 hp?".but let me tell you when i take some of my buddies for a spin and they hear that super charger kick in,its over :yahoo: they always turn to me and say "wow thats awsome,can you do that again".those guys then go around and preach the word on how truly great the shelby gt500 really is. it really just takes that one ride to convince a person that it is what it is.but thats it--"i am not giving anyone else any joy rides" :shift::hysterical:

The funnest/weirdest comment that I've heard about my car came from a guy who was behind me in a Porsche convertible at a red light.

He actually said (yelled over his windshield to be exact), and I quote:

"Your car is so bitchin; I just had an orgasm!"

I was so taken aback, I did not know how to respond.

Should've tossed back some Kleenex :D

good story wheelman...

i just recently gave a joy ride to two of my buddies from work. funny thing is they both rode with me at the same time. two pretty good size fellas. the guy in the back says " this will slow us down a bit with all three of us in the car, right"? i said, we'll just have to wait and see...

i took an on ramp at wot and i am still picking up his teeth in back seat. i was going 110 and wasn't even off the ramp. the car pulled like a freight train and both guys were just smiling from ear to ear. this car is simply amazing. yes, it is heavy, but somehow it just kicks ass when you stomp on it. never had so much fun!

I get looks, gawks and comments ALL the time! :happy feet:

This car makes me feel like Im a rock star!

I will say that there are a TON of mustangs in this city, and I would say there are many more people who know what a Shelby GT500 is. Maybe its a Texas pride thing...maybe people here just love mustangs. Shelby is like gold in this state.

Told this story a few times but it's a good one.

Was at a traffic light when I notice a Crown Vic pull behind me. An old guy gets out (he had to be in his 80's) and slowly makes his way to my door. I'm thinking the old fella may be lost and needs directions. He gets to my window and says: "I just wanted to tell you that you have a beautiful car."

I was floored and he left me speechless. I thanked him and he walked back to his car.

I have a buddy who has a small block '73 Camaro with a lot of work done to it. He kept saying his car would take mine in a street race. A few weeks later I had an opportunity to take him for a spin on an open stretch of hwy. After the pass he said: "I don't think I can beat this car....holy s%*t it's fast!"

He hasn't said a word about his Camaro since.

Took a co-worker for a ride once. After he got out he said he's selling his '06 Mustang GT.

Ya its funny how many "car guys" have no idea what this car really is, not to mention the general public. My wife sums it up perfectly, we got our 07 a little while after the Transformer movie came out, and she noticed that the Decepticon was a Saleen. When folks tell her "nice Mustang" she says "thanks its a Shelby" Her pet name for it..."the Decepticon". I don't have factory stripes or rocker pannel stripes either, and combined with Alloy Metalic it really takes someone who knows what it is to notice it.

I am in the military and Ft Lewis is a respectable size base, but in time you will pick out most of the cool cars on post. I saw a brand new paper plated black Saleen on post so I followed him and figured I would talk to him a bit. He had no idea that it was a GT 500...totally clueless. There are 3 GT 500s' on post, mine, and a buddy that hangs out here too, Blackhawkpilot, we have gotten together and talk here on occasion, the other GT 500 on post, dosn't even wave to me and has never talked to BHP either???? IMO I kinda like my Shelby low key, because that makes it that much cooler, makes it better when I outright SMASH some poor unsuspecting BowTie. H.

My husband took the GT500 to the local Kwik Trip and this very nice elderly woman, he is guessing she was in her mid to late 70's, came up to his car and asked him if it were new. He said yes and that Carroll Shelby is making cars again. All she could say was that he had a beautiful car and she didn't realize Mr. Shelby was making cars again.

Have had a number of great reactions over the last year since I picked up my Shelby from people stopping what they were doing in mid sentence, many pictures, horn honking, numerous requests to race it, but one of the strangest / funniest happended the other night -

Was a beautiful evening, had to head over a pick my daughter up from school so I was just cruising down the highway, top down, good tunes, pretty nice - stopped at a light and a guy pulls up behind me in an older Nissan, starts reving his motor, moving closer and closer to the back of my car, yelling something to me but I can't hear him. A friend of his pulls up next to him and they start talking and he revs more and pulls even closer. Before the light changes and I am trying to decide just what to do, i notice that a police car pulls up behind the guy behind me - well I guess he does not notice since when the light changes, I pull out at a normal pace and move along at the speed limit - and goof ball behind me is going nuts, reving, swerving, jumping all over my rear - I'm thinking about getting out of dodge when on come the flashing lights - goofy pulls over - I kind of wave at both of them when I notice the policeman waving back...my thanks go out to him....

just something a little different

. . . a dude in a van yells out the window "THAT'S A BAD MOTHERFUCKER!".

That's also a verbatim quote from a guy who walked into an auto parts store where I was buying some stuff. ;) He then started asking all the usual questions; "Is it really supercharged??" etc.

I've owned several near-exotics, and the GT500 has had more photographs taken by bystanders than any two of my previous toys.

I just wish I'd had it in high school - as a goodly number of the "impressed and informed" are teeny-bopper girls. Of course, if I had, I'd be dead by now from one of two demises. :D

I've had mine three months. 08 Vista Blue convertible. I have never gotten a single comment about the GT500 on the road or gas station. But once, at a light, I had a guy say "Nice Mustang." Nice Mustang! NICE MUSTANG!! IT'S A SHELBY GT500, YOU CLOWN!!! I just gave him a funny look and drove away.

Likewise for me too. we've had our black 'vert since Nov 2007, and 7000 miles later, hardly a glance...my theory is a black car without stripes, hardly stands out, but I like the annonymity...

When people comment, "nice Mustang", and I've had that with our '68 KR, i don't get offended, rather, just uninformed people trying to appreciate a nice car...I don't get offended, just say thanx and move it on down the road.

Likewise for me too. we've had our black 'vert since Nov 2007, and 7000 miles later, hardly a glance...my theory is a black car without stripes, hardly stands out, but I like the annonymity...

When people comment, "nice Mustang", and I've had that with our '68 KR, i don't get offended, rather, just uninformed people trying to appreciate a nice car...I don't get offended, just say thanx and move it on down the road.

Yeah, you're right, of course.

I've had mine three months. 08 Vista Blue convertible. I have never gotten a single comment about the GT500 on the road or gas station. But once, at a light, I had a guy say "Nice Mustang." Nice Mustang! NICE MUSTANG!! IT'S A SHELBY GT500, YOU CLOWN!!! I just gave him a funny look and drove away.

You need to relax....it's a Mustang.

I have Vista Blue white stripe 08 coupe. Kinda funny very little attention or the first few months. I changed the Shelby letters to the center (not for attention) I just like the look better, added KR mufflers and now for the last few weeks all kind of people have noticed the car. Maybe the sound (sounds like a super car) maybe that the shelby name stands out more, or it just might be that the public is more in tune what a GT500 really is.

post-21530-1222348003_thumb.jpg

post-21530-1222348046_thumb.jpg

post-21530-1222348003_thumb.jpg

post-21530-1222348046_thumb.jpg

I have the 08 red with white stripes for one year and 2300 miles. People go nuts when they see it. A little kid fell off her bike looking at it. I have had guys taking pictures of it with their cell phones at traffic lights. Hundreds of comments everywhere I go. Questions almost every day from people at work. Sometimes when I get gas, people will pull into the gas station that just want to look at it. Lots of people asking for a ride. It has been a blast just like it was when I had a 70 GT 350 in the 1970s.

I have had everything from"My friends brother has a car that can probably beat that" My reply was "Here is my cell#,Call me when he's ready for an ass whippin'" :hysterical: To "That is the most beautiful car i have ever seen",Various pictures moving and still.People hanging out of windows of moving cars with cell phones really make me smile.Especially when it's a woman.Yeah baby it's fast,Heh heh! :drool::hysterical:

I have Vista Blue white stripe 08 coupe. Kinda funny very little attention or the first few months. I changed the Shelby letters to the center (not for attention) I just like the look better, added KR mufflers and now for the last few weeks all kind of people have noticed the car. Maybe the sound (sounds like a super car) maybe that the shelby name stands out more, or it just might be that the public is more in tune what a GT500 really is.

Looks good...very retro original. I commented on this once and some one had a case of the ass. Bottomline, this is the right look for this SHELBY no matter how many they make on or before some recognized date. Lets face it, look + sound = attention getter. Y Not?

Airborne

Archived