TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How will you get service?

68KR07Shelby

If you are like me, you bought your car from a dealer far far away from where you actually live. For those of us who did, how do you think your local Ford dealer will treat you when you bring your car in for warranty service or even regular service? In my experience, if you buy your car from a different dealer than services your car, you are in for some battles. Anyone else have an opinion?

If you are like me, you bought your car from a dealer far far away from where you actually live. For those of us who did, how do you think your local Ford dealer will treat you when you bring your car in for warranty service or even regular service? In my experience, if you buy your car from a different dealer than services your car, you are in for some battles. Anyone else have an opinion?

Won't be a problem. This car is a Shelby, so nothing will ever go wrong with it. It will be much more reliable and durable than any other Mustang, so the mechanics will never see it. The fit and finish and quality are so much better than any other Ford, you can throw away your warranty.

Ok, now for the real answer. I gave my local Ford dealer first shot at selling to me, but they had already sold theirs...so they won't have an issue servicing mine.

Dave

My selling dealership will never see the car again. I will have it seviced at the Ford dealer 1 mile from me who has always treated me more then fair. I wish Ford had let none SVT dealers sell the Shelby here in Canada.

Dealers make good money off of warranty work from the manufacturer. You will have no problems.

Guest evilchris

I would avoid the dealer at all costs. Sometimes you have to suck it up though, for major things like engine failure and just take it to them.

I'd never let them do maintanence or anything like that though. Dealers usually have the lowest paid, most "I don't care about this guy's car" type of mechanics.

I would avoid the dealer at all costs. Sometimes you have to suck it up though, for major things like engine failure and just take it to them.

I'd never let them do maintanence or anything like that though. Dealers usually have the lowest paid, most "I don't care about this guy's car" type of mechanics.

I agree; most routine stuff I will do myself and/or have my friend who is a real mechanic do. However, some crap may just break. My dealer (who is a friend of mine but lives 180 miles away) was very nice and said we will service it, give you a demo etc. but realistically, it will never go there again. I had a German car (unnamed) that when the dealer found out I bought it at a different dealer, just didn't care and did not offer any pick up/drop off service and even put me down the list when my car was stolen/stripped/recovered a few years ago. Since then, (besides never buying a car from that company again) I have always worried about the attitude of dealers who service but don't sell the car for MAJOR stuff.

+1 EC. I have yet to take a vehicle to the dealer for warranty work that it didn't come home with a new problem and or some kind of physical blemish. :doh:

I trust the dealer much more than I'd ever trust an independent shop. You've got guys specifically trained on Ford products, and if you find a shop with low turnover then you've got guys who've been at it for a long time with way more experience than Joe Dipstick at a Jiffey Lube type of place.

Other than the guy who wrenches and does all the mods on my Bullitt I have gone to the dealer for "regular" work on my other cars and I've never been unfairly treated or gouged.

In fact I found better treatment at the dealer. With my business I need a truck on the road all the time. I tried using a small mechanic once my warranty was up on one of my trucks and I found as long as it was a major job all was good, Call him up for an oil channge and he was always too busy. Funny that huh?

Also, I bought my truck from a small toen dealer about 100 miles north of me and anytime I needed my truck serviced my salesman would meet me halfway with a loaner truck which was N/C. As a result they continue to get my business for sales and service.

In general, I have good experiences with my local Ford dealer-- fast and courteous. I take my truck in for regular oil changes and general maintenance. Prices always seem to be fair (actually equal to the cost of oil and filter at Autozone). BUT it's an F150, so there's nothing special about it...just one of 900K+ for 2005.

For this car, I might do the general maintenance myself. It isn't going to be a common car in their shop, like a taurus or focus. Won't take the chance on them hot-rodding it through their lot... One question though: will Ford void a warranty if they see that they have no record of service? Will receipts from Autozone (or similar store) be enough to prove you've changed the oil according to the recommended schedule?

Since I lack the tools and the know-how on more major repairs, I will definitely take it to a Ford dealer where I know they are trained for this car.

My only problem is. Say you drop you car off at Ford for an oil change and other stuff. Most of the time you will have to leave your car there for a few hours. You can bet your last dollar that when your tech. is done with your oil he's going to road test it 99.9% of the time. I am sorry but i want my baby in sight at all times.....

There have been some stories with the 03-04 cobra about mech. raging on them . And my personal fav. is a story i heard about a 2002 Harley davidson F150. A guy brought in to have new tires put on and ended up having to have a new motor put in his truck. Thay took it out back to finish off the tires and ended up blowing up the truck.

Archived