TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Halfway to super.

Chip,

Thanks for the compliments, I have put a lot of sweat equity into the car and my goal has always been to keep the car a fairly civilized daily driver as well as a great track car. By the way I have some unlisted (legal/safe) mods that really make the difference… lot's of trial and error involved.

Mostly been focusing on the ¼ mile setup because the drag strip is a lot closer, less expensive, more open, and more frequent (and it's a lot of fun).

I'm halfway between Sebring and Daytona so I plan to eventually start running it on road courses. I can change the suspension setup in a couple of hours for open track or Autocross events.

I agree with your more scientific approach to comparing the supercharges. In the end I think they are all good options and it's mostly a personal choice. All of the supercharged cars will limit out at the bottom end of the 4.6L 3V.

The stock "canned" tune that comes with the Shelby Paxton kit is fairly conservative and a little too tame. So if you compare the stock Whipple/KB/Paxton tunes I am fairly certain the Paxton will come out on the bottom. I would go for a custom tune regardless of which supercharger used but again that is just a personal choice, to each his own.

Chip, thank you for the information. I am sure there are those that exceed the envelope with pulleys and timing that eventually blow an engine. I hope to obtain the SC within 2 years (when the car is paid off) and will keep a conservative tune. It amazes me that these engines can come anywhere near 500 HP with cast pistons and rods.

Chip, I could not tell from your photos but when you had the intake manifold off does Ford still have a rubber coolant hose under the intake manifold? If so did you consider replacing that rubber hose with a metal hose so it will not break/leak in the future, probably at the most inopportune time? I am sure it would be very expensive to have to change that hose in the future. Please apprise me.

Thank you 69

Chip, I could not tell from your photos but when you had the intake manifold off does Ford still have a rubber coolant hose under the intake manifold? If so did you consider replacing that rubber hose with a metal hose so it will not break/leak in the future, probably at the most inopportune time? I am sure it would be very expensive to have to change that hose in the future. Please apprise me.

I saw no hose of any type under the intake manifold.

Chip

Archived