TEAM SHELBY FORUM

EFI conversion questions

Looking for anyone who has done a 1986-1995 mustang efi conversion to an older car. I have a 1966 mustang with a 289, and i am looking to convert. I am trying to get an overall parts list that should be looked at for a conversion. any tips and tricks, whichever. thanks in advance.

Looking for anyone who has done a 1986-1995 mustang efi conversion to an older car. I have a 1966 mustang with a 289, and i am looking to convert. I am trying to get an overall parts list that should be looked at for a conversion. any tips and tricks, whichever. thanks in advance.

The wiring harness always seem to be the biggest pain. For my money, Painless Wiring has kit made just for this, Ford Racing Parts has a harness and a computer. You will have to fabricate or purchase a new transmission mount and related parts depending upon what transmission you will be using. Try Windsor Fox website for lots more information and related links. You will need to upgrade the fuel system and add a return line. This will require a some fuel tank mods.

There are tons of articles on the web, try searching Mustang EFI Conversion or Early Mustang EFI and similar searches. :sos:

As far as conversions go, this one isn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I put an 86/7 Continental engine in my 66 Falcon Ranchero with an 89 GT 5 speed. The stock 66 motor mounts worked perfect. I put a new exaust system on as there was none when the project started. Had to put a front sump pan on the engine. Took apart the stock Continental wiring harness and modified it, running the stock computer with codes kicked out for the devices I took out. Mine became a little more complicated because of the 5 speed. Nothing show stopping. If you put in an egine trans combo get an after maket wiring kit, makes life a lot easier.

Archived