TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changed oil on SS, oil pressure gage now reads close to 90?

Guest markham51

Guest markham51

Just had my first oil change since picking it up my SS at Tasca (now over 8k miles on car). The clutch fluid and brake fluid was below minimum as pointed out by Grabber at the Dearborn show. I thought I would change the oil at the same time and have them check for leaks. There were no leaks (none showing up on my daughters garage floor either) so I am guessing Tasca didn't level everything off after changing the brakes and gears etc. It wasn't below minimum much, but it was below nonetheless.

Anyway, no matter, here is the odd thing....the SS Fuel gage (installed with SS package) has never gone higher than 75 while under load. When I started up the SS after this oil change I immediately noticed the gage was registering close to 90 under load (or whatever the next mark past the 75 is). Anyone have any idea what might have caused the immediate increase in oil pressure? i checked the level and it is fine (same as before they changed it...just a tad under max level on stick). They claim they used synthetic oil....I made them make a note on the work order so they wouldn't mess that up. The clutch and brake levels are now at max levels.

Guest markham51

Ill check. My guess is they used the standard oil filter that the manual calls for. The manual says all mustangs, v6,gt and gt500 all use the same factory filter. I will check however just to be sure.

Guest markham51
I have the same issue. Change the oil on my SS 10 days ago and the oil pressure is now reading around 90psi. Ford did the oil change and used the standard Motorcraft filter.

Just checked with the Ford dealer that did the change and he used the standard FL820S filter called for in the GT500 supplement manual. That same filter number is used on a Mustangs (v6, GT GT500) I presume this is the one everyone uses?

That is really strange that you have the same situation after an oil change.

Just checked with the Ford dealer that did the change and he used the standard FL820S filter called for in the GT500 supplement manual. That same filter number is used on a Mustangs (v6, GT GT500) I presume this is the one everyone uses?

That is really strange that you have the same situation after an oil change.

Yes that is the correct filter. Perhaps some of our Ford master mechanics can help. I have read about a couple of members having their oil overfilled. I don't know if that would change the pressure.

the odd thing....the SS Fuel gage (installed with SS package) has never gone higher than 75 while under load.

First you do not need fuel pressure above 75psi.

What you don't want is for the fuel pressure to drop below 50 psi. That is when you will start starving your injectors losing performance and start damaging your injectors.

Ok now is when someone is going to chime in and say we can go lower then 50 psi maybe down to 35psi, well maybe we can but not on my car, at 50 - 55 psi I will be changing fuel filters cleaning lines replacing my pump or adding a booster pump. I say around 60-65 is a good fuel pressure. 55 is ok but if it drops and stay that low, its past fuel system service time.

Oil pressure, I use the ford recommended oil & filter for the GT500 after my car was SS'ed I see that my oil pressure is HIGH around 90 psi till she gets warmed up.

A couple things to remember here:

1. We use a thick oil al-be-it it is a multi weight it is still on the thick side till it warms up.

2. Ask your self what was your oil pressure on the stock oil "metering Idiot gauge" Don’t know and can't say because it is not a real oil gauge.

Point is we didn't have a oil gauge till SIA put one in. So 90 psi on start up may be normal, and unlike the fuel gauge that drop under load, the oil pump spins faster under pressure to make sure you maintain the required oil pressure.

So keep in mind even if you have a slight increase in oil pressure that it may be directly related to the increase in power.

Check your factory metering idiot gauge - does it read the same or just slightly higher then pre SS package if so that should be normal.

What is your oil pressure at idle after she is warmed up and sitting at a stop light 30 -40 psi? That is normal

As you accelerate at a nice even steady pace, does your oil pressure increase at a even pace? it should increase as you move passed different speeds up to 90 95 psi. Then drop the same as you decrease speed at a steady pace.

You can even hammer it and the pressure should jump up fast then brake hard and the pressure should drop just as fast as the engine rpm slow down.

If so your oil pressure is mostly good. Just make sure you have the correct type oil for our engines and correct oil level, and remember when you SS'ed your car you changed the operating dynamics and parameters.

Guest markham51

Thanks for the pointers.

The first thing I did was check the level to make sure it wasn't over-filled. It is just a little less than the max level on stick. That is where it was prior to the change. I even read it several times. Nothing seems to be unusual. It just reads a higher level than it did prior to this change. I am naturally more cautious now that I have no power train warranty.

Thanks for the pointers.

The first thing I did was check the level to make sure it wasn't over-filled. It is just a little less than the max level on stick. That is where it was prior to the change. I even read it several times. Nothing seems to be unusual. It just reads a higher level than it did prior to this change. I am naturally more cautious now that I have no power train warranty.

Understandable - rightfully so.

It caught me off guard when I first saw 90psi as well.

After eye-balling the oil gauge for a full day of normal driving, then having a friend work the ¼ mile timer and keep an eye on the oil gauge as well, all seemed normal.

First time I have had the SS out since its oil change. I cant remember what it was before the change, but now its 90lbs after its warmed up. It will drop down like it supposed to do at idle. At speed its pretty much stuck on 90

MM

Mine is the same, 90 at speed and drops at idle.

Al

Archived