TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Occupation - If you work what do you do for a living

Dunedindon#5481

Rocket Scientist eh?...

Rockets was on my list. For a really good story read "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam or watch October Sky the next time it comes on TV. My grandmother said she was a nth-cousin of Werner von Braun but I was never able to verify it.

The Navy tried to recruit me just after I graduated (1975). Two guys showed up at my door at about 10:00 just after I got off at 8:00 (I got the computer from Midnight to 8:00, it was an IBM 1130). They offered me a PhD on the Navy. Nuclear reactor engineering. There was a catch: 8years active duty on a nuclear vessel. Which kind? Well, we're building a bunch of submarines... Oh, I'm getting married in three months. Spending 9 months at a time under water with a bunch of guys didn't quite fit my plans. I played with computers instead and got hooked on disc drives. They are addicting. We can't escape. There are only 17 people that make drives and sooner or later you work with or for all of them.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rockets was on my list. For a really good story read "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam or watch October Sky the next time it comes on TV. My grandmother said she was a nth-cousin of Werner von Braun but I was never able to verify it.

The Navy tried to recruit me just after I graduated (1975). Two guys showed up at my door at about 10:00 just after I got off at 8:00 (I got the computer from Midnight to 8:00, it was an IBM 1130). They offered me a PhD on the Navy. Nuclear reactor engineering. There was a catch: 8years active duty on a nuclear vessel. Which kind? Well, we're building a bunch of submarines... Oh, I'm getting married in three months. Spending 9 months at a time under water with a bunch of guys didn't quite fit my plans. I played with computers instead and got hooked on disc drives. They are addicting. We can't escape. There are only 17 people that make drives and sooner or later you work with or for all of them.

Do you do any work with Seagate?

Rockets was on my list. For a really good story read "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam or watch October Sky the next time it comes on TV. My grandmother said she was a nth-cousin of Werner von Braun but I was never able to verify it LOL I like 20 miles from Coalwood Wv where Homer Hickam lived. It was a great movie.

Do you do any work with Seagate?

We've been reviewing a spec for the last three weeks. Last week it was conference calls from 08:00 to about 18:00 every day. Hopefully we'll finish on Monday. Then I can get back to real work - some hardware things need my attention. The week before it was three days in Portland and the week before it was three days on calls. It's very tedious but by going through it a page at a time we find "bugs" and some inconsistencies.

ex-Army Cobra pilot.

Now I design surgical instruments for a large medical device company...

Yeah,...another engineer!

Do you have this disease too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

I got really good at taking things apart and putting them back together. It started with a 1950-ish Ford tractor.

CAD Layout Design Draftsman for Aircraft Piston Engine manufacturer.

Past jobs:

Tool Design Draftsman

Air Force Munitions Maintenance Mechanic on F-111

SGT-5613 Black/Silver

I am currently a Warrant Officer 1, flight student :salute: . Been in the Army for 13 years now. Before flight school I spent 2 years as a Drill Sergeant (one of my most rewarding jobs while in the military) and attained the rank of SFC prior to converting over to Warrant Officer. As an enlisted member I was a 19K, armor crewman, the M1A1 Abrams battle tank is one bad @$$ piece of equipment. 7 more years till retirement, when I plan to open up a recycling buissness back home. :happy feet:

Archived