TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time for my first maintenance service. Need advices.

All,

Here what i need to be done:

1- Oil change. Will stick to Motorcraft 5W20 with the FL-820S

2- Fix the TSB 08-5-10 8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS. I will give them a copy of the TSB. My car was built after 0/22/2006 so it should be pretty simple. tsb08_05_10.pdf

3- My Steering wheel shakes very little starting @ 55-60 MPH. In addition, the camber of my front wheels are not right. IF you look at them, there are not like the back wheels. Anyway, i know that the dealer should pass that under the waranty. I will give them a copy of the Ford Racing document M-18000-A

2005 Mustang Damper Kit CAMBER ADJUSTMENT INSTRUCTIONS. FordInstShtM_18000_A.pdf

I am scare as hell to leave my car 1 full day at the dealership :banghead: . I remember that somone wrote a letter and put that letter on the steering wheel to make sure that the technician will pay more attention? Does someone remember where to find this?

Any other advices would be appreciated.

Thanks.

FordInstShtM_18000_A.pdf

tsb08_05_10.pdf

All,

Here what i need to be done:

1- Oil change. Will stick to Motorcraft 5W20 with the FL-820S

2- Fix the TSB 08-5-10 8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS. I will give them a copy of the TSB. My car was built after 0/22/2006 so it should be pretty simple. tsb08_05_10.pdf

3- My Steering wheel shakes very little starting @ 55-60 MPH. In addition, the camber of my front wheels are not right. IF you look at them, there are not like the back wheels. Anyway, i know that the dealer should pass that under the waranty. I will give them a copy of the Ford Racing document M-18000-A

2005 Mustang Damper Kit CAMBER ADJUSTMENT INSTRUCTIONS. FordInstShtM_18000_A.pdf

I am scare as hell to leave my car 1 full day at the dealership :banghead: . I remember that somone wrote a letter and put that letter on the steering wheel to make sure that the technician will pay more attention? Does someone remember where to find this?

Any other advices would be appreciated.

Thanks.

speaking as a tech myself talking to the tech that will work on your car and asking for him/her for any future trips goes a long way to better service as they like the appretiation(loving shelby vehicles doesn't hurt also :drool: )

I removed the hood pins before delivering the car to the dealer and “discussed” the low stature of the SGT and potential frontend damage when putting it on a hoist with the service manager and his boss. They know I am anal retentive about my vehicles which may have helped also – it was returned unscathed.

My guess is that your wheel shake is from a wheel that is out of balance.

Camber is separate issue and is an issue only if you are wearing the inside of your front tires; if not, I doubt they are going to take out the negative camber under warranty. Too bad Shelby doesn't slot the struts before installing them; I went with a camber adjustment kit to get MORE negative camber for driving on road course tracks. I doubt I could have gotten -2.5 degrees with just the slots in the struts.

372444386_Mohpo-M.jpg

My guess is that your wheel shake is from a wheel that is out of balance.

Camber is separate issue and is an issue only if you are wearing the inside of your front tires; if not, I doubt they are going to take out the negative camber under warranty. Too bad Shelby doesn't slot the struts before installing them; I went with a camber adjustment kit to get MORE negative camber for driving on road course tracks. I doubt I could have gotten -2.5 degrees with just the slots in the struts.

I was able to have mine fixed under warranty.. They slotted the struts. I basically told them that there were people on this forum with premature tire wear due to alignment issues. They contacted Shelby, Ford Racing, and Ford, and were able to fix it for free.

My dealer sells the FFR 500, Shelby, Saleen and Rouch as well as his own private label Mustangs GT. I wonder if the techs appreciate our cars? It scares me to take mine in tomorrow morning for the first oil change as well. When I had them do the airbag recall, they dinged the stripe on my rear bumper and denied the whole thing.

I don't care what they think of me but I am undoing my hood pins and wrapping them in bubble wrap when I drop the car off. They had better still be wrapped when I pick it up tomorrow night. This might sound a little overboard but I am also going to take photos with a time & date stamp of the whole car, including the engine compartment.

I waited 40 years to own a car like this. I shouldn't have to feel the way I do about taking it in for routine service. Dealers need to keep in mind we are very passionate about owning a Shelby.

Well I picked up my SGT last night after her first oil change/ 3000 mile check up. I am relieved to report all is well. I met the service tech who worked on my car when I dropped it off. He said he was the one who preps all of the specialty Mustangs when they receive them at the dealership. He also was the guy who preps them before customer delivery when they're sold. I guess it was a compliment when he told me all us Shelby guys are the same when it comes to somebody else touching our cars. He said respects that and treats them accordingly.

I still wrapped my hood pins to be safe. My tech said he never locks any hood pins on a car because salesmen and potential buyers don't pay any attention to them when the pop the hoods.

When I walked in to my garage today to take my daliy driver to work, I looked under my car cover and knew all was right with the world again.

Well I picked up my SGT last night after her first oil change/ 3000 mile check up. I am relieved to report all is well. I met the service tech who worked on my car when I dropped it off. He said he was the one who preps all of the specialty Mustangs when they receive them at the dealership. He also was the guy who preps them before customer delivery when they're sold. I guess it was a compliment when he told me all us Shelby guys are the same when it comes to somebody else touching our cars. He said respects that and treats them accordingly.

I still wrapped my hood pins to be safe. My tech said he never locks any hood pins on a car because salesmen and potential buyers don't pay any attention to them when the pop the hoods.

When I walked in to my garage today to take my daliy driver to work, I looked under my car cover and knew all was right with the world again.

Erik, I'm glad all is well with the Shelby. I know from experience that the first service experience can be nerve racking. Knowing who is working on it and their concern for your car makes all the difference in the world. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded this pdf from a forum member a while back. He he used it to make sure they didn't mess up the tuning. If I remember right, he said he put one on the steering wheel, one on the rearview mirror, one on the keychain and one on the computer. I guess you can print them on a label type sheet and stick them to cardboard or metal for the mirror and keychain.

Hope this helps.

My wife's SGT is sitting at 2,400 miles. And I'll be anal about it.

SGT_Tuning_Sticker.pdf

SGT_Tuning_Sticker.pdf

jtubbs,

Thanks for the sticker document.

However, with what i have to be done, i do not think they will need to touch or access the onboard computer.

But, i will print it and i will give it to them. I will also give them a copy of those 2 PDFs that i attached in my original post.

Everything is OK. :happy feet: :dance:

Got the car back around 6 PM.

They did not do the alignment because it was slightly out of spec and the tires were OK. In addtion, having a small negative camber improve the handling of the car.

They did the TSB, Oil Change and Tire Rotation.

It is nice because when i go service my SGT, i am not going through the main service department. I am taking a kind of back door. I know some folks that works in the truck shop of that dealership and the truck shop is kind of isolated from the car service department. In addito, they have plenty of bays and it is a lot less busy that the car garage.

Anyway, it was a great experience.

I saw another car that was interesting. Read my other post about it. :read:

Archived