TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BREAK IN PERIOD

I am probably asking a dumb question but what do you guys consider a normal break in periood for a new SGT? My dealer was no help. I have been told everything from "drive it like I stole it from day one" to 1500 miles, 3000 miles, 5000 miles and so on. Before his untimely passing several years ago, my best friend and I rebuilt and /or built up Honda 4 stroke engines on ATVs for more power and perfomance. We would take out these quads and run them wide open from day one. He owned an automotive shop for his entire adult life and always to told me to break in an engine or tranny just the way you would be driving it.

I will have owned my 2007 SGT for 9 months this weekend and just turned 3000 miles. Naturally I have gotten on it to see what it will do but I have always backed out before I felt like I've topped out. It feels like it has a lot more in it but I am hesitant to go much over 90-95 in a short burst on the open road yet. Speed limits aside, what do you think?

I am probably asking a dumb question but what do you guys consider a normal break in periood for a new SGT? My dealer was no help. I have been told everything from "drive it like I stole it from day one" to 1500 miles, 3000 miles, 5000 miles and so on. Before his untimely passing several years ago, my best friend and I rebuilt and /or built up Honda 4 stroke engines on ATVs for more power and perfomance. We would take out these quads and run them wide open from day one. He owned an automotive shop for his entire adult life and always to told me to break in an engine or tranny just the way you would be driving it.

I will have owned my 2007 SGT for 9 months this weekend and just turned 3000 miles. Naturally I have gotten on it to see what it will do but I have always backed out before I felt like I've topped out. It feels like it has a lot more in it but I am hesitant to go much over 90-95 in a short burst on the open road yet. Speed limits aside, what do you think?

IT TIME- ENJOY!

3,000 miles is PLENTY of break-in. Change the oil and then drive it like you stole it. I'm pretty sure the owner's manual says to take it easy for the first 500 miles.

At 3,000 miles I'm sure you've shown more restraint than most of us here. The break-in procedures of years past are just that, things of the past. Todays engines require very little break-in. Like rpretzel said, change the oil if you haven't already and enjoy it, it's good to go :peelout:

Jim

Was wondering the same thing as I got only 150 miles so far in one week. Busy so haven't been able to take it out to blow the :censored: out of it, but having a 06 GT as daily driver 500 miles is plenty enough breakin period for the Mod motors. Considering I got 40,100 miles on the 06 GT, theses S197 Mustangs seem to get better as they get more mileage. My compliments to FORD for doing something right. Go :shift:

break in , I don't do no stinkin break in and never did and never will

post-18733-1221617921_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1221617921_thumb.jpg

Archived