TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sports car that used the GLHS motor?

Monsoon

WOW! Looks like a submarine humped the car from "The Wraith" (Dodge PPG)

The one in the pic is a 1985 though. That's 23 years old now.

Looked pretty awesome back then. If I remember correctly, those cars came

with all Chrysler backed components, even down to the power windows.

And Mosler has made some pretty amazing cars since. Those Consuliers could

wind up being collectors items if Mosler keeps at it.

Monsoon, Welocme to Team Shelby. Glad you found us.

Very few of those Consulier GTP's were built. They used a T-II motor. The engines were stock but I think the computer was a high performance version that up'd the hp to around 200. Someone sold the leftover engines on ebay a few years back.

IIRC there was always problems with the company and I want to say some company officers were locked out of the building at one point by some investors or business partners. It was some sort of drama that drew accusations of fraud and I want to say this is when the GTP went out of production.

Steve

IIRC Mosler used to have a standing offer of $10,000. if anyone could roll up in a street legal car and beat his Consulier's on the track. Hard to imagine how fast they *could* have been with another 200 HP. 400 WHP is not that hard to achieve with today's turbochargers/intercoolers etc on the 2.2 motors B)

Alan

IIRC Mosler used to have a standing offer of $10,000. if anyone could roll up in a street legal car and beat his Consulier's on the track. Hard to imagine how fast they *could* have been with another 200 HP. 400 WHP is not that hard to achieve with today's turbochargers/intercoolers etc on the 2.2 motors B)

Alan

I read they ran the T3 engines just before swapping to the SBC in them. Any one have a photo of the finally years?

IIRC Mosler used to have a standing offer of $10,000. if anyone could roll up in a street legal car and beat his Consulier's on the track.

The offer was $25,000 with the T-II Daytona drivetrain. The offer went up to $100,000 with the Shelby massaged T-III drivetrain.

I'm not positive but I don't think they sold any T-III cars.

I'll see what I can dig up on this.

Steve

Found some info on the web about the Consulier losing the challenge and that low sales went down to zero sales.

Steve

In an independent competition that Car and Driver staged, using its

own drivers at the Chrysler proving ground in Chelsea, Michigan, a

manual 1991 Corvette turned a lap 1.5 seconds quicker than a

Consulier GTP Sport.

Mosler was livid. He insisted that the Consulier C/D tested was a

much-abused and out-of-tune '88 R&D model that did not represent

his current lineup. (Perhaps so, but we acquired it through the

company that manages test fleets for several car companies.)

"Worse," he says, "AutoWeek implied I was a con man. Customers

called wanting their money back. Sales died. Just went flat."

At the time of the Sebring challenge, Mosler says he had sold or

leased nearly 75 cars. In the succeeding years, he has sold, on

average, only three annually. "In fact, I can't remember the last

one," he says.

There was a guy here in Michigan that had one. He brought it to SDAC-10 and also ran it in the One Lap of America competition for a year or two about that time. I've lost track of the guy and don't know if he still has the car or not.

Mosler brought a couple cars to the same OLA events. One was the Twin-Star dual engined Cadillac Eldorado, and the other was a Mosler Raptor which was a forerunner of his current MT900 series car. The Raptor (and Consulier) had done so good at previous OLA events that they were banned from competing and the Raptor was entered as an exhibition only vehicle.

A story about Warren Mosler .... For a couple years SDAC organized the corner workers for the OLA and this is when I saw the Raptor. I was with the locals at Michigan Speedway working a corner in the back half. We had torrential rains earlier that weekend which left a puddle about 6-8 inches deep and about 30 feet long on a small straight just before going back onto the track's oval. Every car was just idling as it went through that puddle, not wanting to damage or stall the vehicle. But when Mosler came by in the Raptor we saw a dual wall of water go out from the sides of the car as he flew through the puddle. I think he nearly cleared all the water out of there as the splash must have gone over 15 feet in the air. It was quite a sight to see.

Even though he was not competing and on an exhibition run, we felt he certainly had the spirit of the event nailed.

• 6 months later...
Good article!!

Thanks Steve.

Barry

That GTP is growing on me. I keep dreaming on what it must be like with the 225+ hp T-III motor. For the Ford enthusiasts keep in mind that the 225 hp is from a FOUR CYLINDER motor in a fiberglass car weighing under 2000 pounds.

But then again it also must be an E ticket ride with the Vette motor's torque.

Steve

Barry

That GTP is growing on me. I keep dreaming on what it must be like with the 225+ hp T-III motor. For the Ford enthusiasts keep in mind that the 225 hp is from a FOUR CYLINDER motor in a fiberglass car weighing under 2000 pounds.

But then again it also must be an E ticket ride with the Vette motor's torque.

Steve

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too as I read the article. That was the first time I ever heard that Mosler even considered the T-III motor. If it was quick with only 175 hp (and it was), then with another 50 it would have really been something to 'hang on' in.

With the higher revving of the 16v valve train and the wider powerband, 160-170 moh may well have been achievable as top end.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too as I read the article. That was the first time I ever heard that Mosler even considered the T-III motor. If it was quick with only 175 hp (and it was), then with another 50 it would have really been something to 'hang on' in.

With the higher revving of the 16v valve train and the wider powerband, 160-170 moh may well have been achievable as top end.

The Whittier plant did a little work with Mosler but I never got the hard facts on what they did. My best guess it was limited to tuning as Mosler wanted to keep the factory Chrysler warranty on the drivetrain.

Can you imagine the look on the service writers face when one of these cars were brought into the local Dodge dealership?

Steve

How many were actually made? Or, released to the public? Is there a club? or registry?

John

I have no idea on production numbers except that it must be low. The few I've ever seen up for sale were always in Florida which is no surprise as that is where Mosler is/was.

The GTP didn't always get favorable press as the car mags were unable to get the performance times that were quoted by Mosler. Seemed Mosler always had a reason on why the car was not able to reproduce the numbers from Mosler.

Still an interesting car.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
The GTP didn't always get favorable press as the car mags were unable to get the performance times that were quoted by Mosler. Seemed Mosler always had a reason on why the car was not able to reproduce the numbers from Mosler.

Steve

There were "rules" to testing in the 80s and 90s with MT that changed how the cars ran. The Turbo Dodges require power shifting to keep the boost up and a 3,500-4,000 RPM launch. MT rules back then only allowed a foot off the gas shift and a 2,000 RPM launch for every car. As many made a stink about it in the 90s with the Vipar the editor explained why everyone that owned a Viper GTS could run 11s and they couldn't. The Viper only runs 11s with a 1,500 RPM launch, 2,000 RPM slows the car into the 12s all the way to 15 second times above 5,000 RPM.

If I can take my wore out (76-124-76-125 compression test) 2.2 Reliant turbo wagon and run 14.3 @ 98 with a stage 2 computer and better exhaust I would think this car with an 8v should run 13s all day. But bog it out at 2,000 RPM and with no BOV and no boost controller lose all the boost between shifts, I think they wouldn't run that great. RWD and that weight? I thought they said 13.9?

I actually encountered a Consulier on the streets of SoCal one day, it had to be right about 1994 or 1995. I was on my CBR 900RR(I ran lots of 10 second quarter miles at Terminal Island on this bike.) I was waving and gesturing and generally freaking out over it and the guy noticing my commotion, drops it a gear and hammers on it, so I did too B) Right where the 5 and 57 freeways join in Anaheim by the Big A, we flew past at like 120 plus. Now maybe I shoulda dropped two gears on the bike for the meat and potatoes of that thing's power band, but the Consulier was right there with me and I had it cranked all the way open :o That thing acted like an 11 second car from a roll...

Alan

• 4 years later...

1988 Consulier GTP LX

I was at the "Fire" sale last summer when the Consuliers were at a reasonable price before and during the sale of the company. They went quick I and I was lucky enough to get one. I'm looking for pictures of a Consulier that came with the Shelby 16 valve engine. Specifically the engine bay and the back engine cover. If you know of someone that has one of the originals please let me know. I have enough parts floating around to make one happen. Thanks,

Harold Mahannah

• 1 year later...

I got one at the sale also. Mine had sat in the corner of the warehouse for 20 years. Been restoring it.

There is a web site on these www.consuliergtp.com

Ugly? I like them, have every since I gout my Shelby GLHS. Finally got one.

Mine was one of the Matco Tool calendar cars in 1991.

COOL_zpsxyrmfvd1.jpg

Archived