TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Remote Rear-End Breather Vent

WP64

I saw a picture a few months back of the KR's rear-end and it looked like it was fitted with a remote rear-end breather vent, could one of the KR owners confirm this for me please.

What is a rear-end breather vent? On the 8.8 rear ends there is a 3/4-inch tall vent on the top of the passenger side axle tube between the pumpkin and the brake, it has a spring loaded cap to keep the lubricant in but still allow it to vent the rear-end.

What is a remote rear-end breather vent? Instead of the 3/4-inch tall vent a hose barb is put in it's place and a piece of hose is run up above the rear-end. This allows two things: 1) On improved handling cars it helps keep the lubricant inside the rear-end, 2) It allows the rear-end to be filled with slightly more lubricant.

This type of modification would go hand-in-hand with the FRPP diff. cover that comes on the KR as this cover allows more lubricant to be added to the rear-end than the standard fill hole in the pumpkin allows.

Also, sometimes the hose is attached to a baffled catch bottle, if the KR has the remote rear-end breather vent is it attached to a catch bottle or is it open w/o a catch bottle.

I could be dead wrong about the KR having this mod. but I believe I saw it in a KR picture and thought I'd ask about it.

Jay

This type of modification would go hand-in-hand with the FRPP diff. cover that comes on the KR as this cover allows more lubricant to be added to the rear-end than the standard fill hole in the pumpkin allows.

Jay

The KR's differential cover is the same as the ones that come on the GT500's.

I saw a picture a few months back of the KR's rear-end and it looked like it was fitted with a remote rear-end breather vent, could one of the KR owners confirm this for me please.

What is a rear-end breather vent? On the 8.8 rear ends there is a 3/4-inch tall vent on the top of the passenger side axle tube between the pumpkin and the brake, it has a spring loaded cap to keep the lubricant in but still allow it to vent the rear-end.

What is a remote rear-end breather vent? Instead of the 3/4-inch tall vent a hose barb is put in it's place and a piece of hose is run up above the rear-end. This allows two things: 1) On improved handling cars it helps keep the lubricant inside the rear-end, 2) It allows the rear-end to be filled with slightly more lubricant.

Also, sometimes the hose is attached to a baffled catch bottle, if the KR has the remote rear-end breather vent is it attached to a catch bottle or is it open w/o a catch bottle.

I could be dead wrong about the KR having this mod. but I believe I saw it in a KR picture and thought I'd ask about it.

Jay

Jay

I don't know about the KR but once I switched gears my breather spit fluid all over the track and my tires at speed. Not good. Here's the fix we came up with. We actually used a brake line that threaded right into the breather opening. The brake line was steel and we bent it slightly for fitment. Then we placed a hose with 3 stainless steel clamps over the steel line and routed it to a breather that is conveniently placed in the rear of the car off center to the drivers side with the twist catch valve right there so that you can reach it by simply bending down. Since this I have never had fluid or had to drain it.

FYI. There's a breather on the passenger side of transmission as well. We removed that breather and placed another catch can in the front of the car and removed the windshield washer fluid reservoir for its location. The problem I was having was I would get the "meatball" for smoke on the road course because the tranny would bleed fluid through the breather and then it would leak down on to the headers for a nice white smoke storm. Not any more.

Van

FYI. There's a breather on the passenger side of transmission as well. We removed that breather and placed another catch can in the front of the car and removed the windshield washer fluid reservoir for its location. The problem I was having was I would get the "meatball" for smoke on the road course because the tranny would bleed fluid through the breather and then it would leak down on to the headers for a nice white smoke storm. Not any more.

Van

Great info Van, thanks. Griggs will be installing a baffled catch can/remote breather on my cars rear-end, looks like we may have to address the tranmission breather as well.

Jay,

Griggs knows what they're doing! I'm puking fluid just because of the G forces I'm pulling through the corners...........(stock gears)

..wonder if a guy could get his hands on one of those KR catch cans????????? :hysterical::hysterical:

I haven't had any tranny troubles yet though. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this one might be tough to answer, anyone have a part number on this can? I'm going to assume that it's not a SAI exclusive so anyone, again assuming, should be able to purchase it from Ford through a parts dealer.

Long shot I know but I thought I'd ask.

Jay

Archived