TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Exhaust sound - too quiet?

39Mustang

My 08 GT/SC finally arrived a week ago but was only able to really drive it this past weekend and noticed one thing, I can't hear the exhaust at all. Drove with the windows down and nothing then left windows up and no radio and so very quiet. They said these are Borla's on there and if so they got to be the quietest mufflers I've ever heard. For those Shelby GT owners who've had their cars and are broken in, will the exhaust tone change or are these just very quiet mufflers?

My 08 GT/SC finally arrived a week ago but was only able to really drive it this past weekend and noticed one thing, I can't hear the exhaust at all. Drove with the windows down and nothing then left windows up and no radio and so very quiet. They said these are Borla's on there and if so they got to be the quietest mufflers I've ever heard. For those Shelby GT owners who've had their cars and are broken in, will the exhaust tone change or are these just very quiet mufflers?

It starts kind of quiet and burns out after about 8000 miles or so. I was disappointed at first but they developed a nice growl, or so is the case with mine.

Understand though they never get loud and only really sound off under load.

mine sounds fine, not quiet at all. I made the remark to Jim Clark while visiting San Diego a month ago about how i thought my 07 was louder than his 08. Maybe it's the SC whine that drowns out the exhaust sound? Heck, i don't know. LOL

GT/SC - forced induction. . . . . exhaust note sounds completely different than the N/A 'roar' that you're used to hearing. There have been a few threads about this very topic. . . . I don't have them handy.

Some have decided to simply remove the mufflers all together and insert a straight pipe in it's place. "Muffler Delete - Impressive Mod"

stands out as a topic thread that may shed some light on this.

The stock SGT exhaust has suprisingly good flow - and yes - after about the 8k mile mark, they do tend to get louder on the N/A cars.

Seems after the addition of a supercharger, the mufflers simply do what they are supposed to do 'muffle'. . .r

So maybe some of those who have done the "muffler delete" with a supercharger will chime in ............ I'm interested to know what other's have found also.

Trevor Clark

It is relatively low, but i'm waiting for the break in period. I know when I first fire it up in the AM and before it drops to norm-ops it sounds the best! You're not mashing the pedal down hard enough! :) That'll wake it up. I have noticed there's a certains RPM in each gear where you can hear the mufflers REALLY open up! It's like music!

I rarely even have the radio on since I just like listening to the sweet sound of the little V8. I love the sound when it is under power in third gear - I think that I am back in the ‘60s again but of course we never had five speeds back in the day.

I didn't notice that much of a change in the exhaust note after my KB was installed. I also don't detect nearly the S/C whine I was hoping for. My benchmark was the 725HP KB on the SS. The first SS I didn't see - I heard it from about two blocks away before it turned the corner. It sounded like a jet engine. And he was going side street speed, maybe 25-30.

GT/SC - forced induction. . . . . exhaust note sounds completely different than the N/A 'roar' that you're used to hearing. There have been a few threads about this very topic. . . . I don't have them handy.

Some have decided to simply remove the mufflers all together and insert a straight pipe in it's place. "Muffler Delete - Impressive Mod"

stands out as a topic thread that may shed some light on this.

The stock SGT exhaust has suprisingly good flow - and yes - after about the 8k mile mark, they do tend to get louder on the N/A cars.

Seems after the addition of a supercharger, the mufflers simply do what they are supposed to do 'muffle'. . .r

So maybe some of those who have done the "muffler delete" with a supercharger will chime in ............ I'm interested to know what other's have found also.

Trevor Clark

You hit it exactly what I meant to say. An inside unnamed person said these mufflers flow really good but at the expense of the 'great' V8 Mustang sound we all love. My 2000 Saleen S281SC came with Borla's and the sound was great except highway cruising at 65mph and above as the hum would kill your ears. I have Magnaflow's on my 06 GT which is an everyday driver and the sound is perfect, but if these peticular Borla's are proven to flow much better, do I leave them or go with the sound I prefer?

The 08's are a bit louder than the 07's. Thats because the 08's have an "X" pipe and the 07's have an "H" pipe. I think my 08 is mean sounding at 6k miles.

mine sounds fine, not quiet at all. I made the remark to Jim Clark while visiting San Diego a month ago about how i thought my 07 was louder than his 08. Maybe it's the SC whine that drowns out the exhaust sound? Heck, i don't know. LOL

The 08's are a bit louder than the 07's. Thats because the 08's have an "X" pipe and the 07's have an "H" pipe. I think my 08 is mean sounding at 6k miles.

Im ashamed to say when I have been under mine I dont recall seeing it with my own eyes but according to my Shelby window sticker I have a "Performance X-Pipe Exhaust" on my 07.

My 07 has an X pipe. Came that way from Shelby. I think all the 07's did. The SGT is quiet as a kitten if you cruise it around 2,000 rpm. Drop down a gear and mash the throttle- you should easily hear the exhaust even with the windows up and radio on. LOVE the sound of the SGT.

GT/SC - forced induction. . . . . exhaust note sounds completely different than the N/A 'roar' that you're used to hearing.

That's only for turbo chargers since they act as mufflers. A supercharger doesn't change the exhaust tone or loudness, except when you mash the gas pedal, then the increased volume of exhaust will generally make the sound louder and meaner.

Regarding the SGT, it is very quiet when driving easy on the throttle and below 3500 RPM. Rev it higher and push on the gas pedal a wee bit, and it sounds great! IMHO :)

Can't be that quiet, I was "flagged down" by a cop not too long ago (hehe, oops) and he mentioned that they have received complaints on noise on occasion from my car, which is annoying as I don't even romp on it around town. Doesn't help that 90% of the pop. here is over 75.

Which is odd now that I think of it cause most of them shouldn't be able to hear it even at that age...

Can't be that quiet, I was "flagged down" by a cop not too long ago (hehe, oops) and he mentioned that they have received complaints on noise on occasion from my car, which is annoying as I don't even romp on it around town. Doesn't help that 90% of the pop. here is over 75. :rip:

Which is odd now that I think of it cause most of them shouldn't be able to hear it even at that age...

Sounds like it is time to move !!! :peelout:

Take care,

Andrew

I've been looking for a "test pipe" that I can use when I go "off-road" of course (snicker). After looking under the car, the cat pipes are quite short and easily accessible. I don't want to purchase the entire x-pipe, just the pipes from the exhaust manifolds to the actual "x-pipe" portion.

Has anyone come across this yet?

"bump" Anyone???

Well I think I finally am past the break in period. I had my first oil change last week at 3100 miles. Yesterday my Mustang club went to the Miller Motorsports Park in Grantsville, UT for the Sunchaser 1000 and the Miller Cup Mustang Challege races. We were just spectators but we had our cars on display and got to take a parade lap behind the pace car. The last car, to herd up the stragglers I suppose, was a ready to race FR500 Mustang.

I was about in middle of the pack with a beautiful 1970 Boss 302 in front of me and a 2007 Mustang GT behind me. We were supposed to stay in a single file line, no passing. Once we were all on the track, the pace car, a red 2008 Mustang GT, opened it more than I expected he would. The line stretched out and we got up to 70-75 mph on several straightaways. The Boss 302 was a little cautious in the corners so I laid back. Once he was way ahead of me, I found myself looking for a line in to each approaching turn and romping on it. They guy in the GT behind me tried to keep up but his suspension kept him from hitting the turns as fast and hard as I could. Going in to each turn, I cut the wheel and punched it. I accerated through about 2/3 of each turn. On the straight parts he couldn't keep up, either. What a blast!!

They guy in the GT told me later he couldn't believe the sound when I got on it. He claimed it was meaner that some on the full race cars we saw. He just went on about "that Shelby sound". He said he never understood what that meant until then. I guess I'm offically broken in now. That lap around the track in going to be hard to beat for thrills and excitement.

Yes, All the 07's came with an "X" pipe. Sound will get a little louder over time as the system settles in.

If anybody has any doubts, check out page 122 of the 2007 Shelby Annual that comes with your Team membership. There is a photo of the X being installed.

I have gotten close to the 8k mark on miles on my 08 SGT . . . . just like what was mentioned above. . . from the inside it sounds pretty quiet. . . but if you're outside or behind the Shelby GT - it's nothing short of perfect when you're at WOT and running about 3500 to 4500 rpm. I've been asked a few times what I've got for exhaust on my car in the last few months.

Once while driving next to some dude in a truck wearing a Corvette shirt leaned over and said "I've got a Corvette - nice stripes"........."Sounds kinda quiet" .. .. ... ......

I think that it's a little bit about preception - from the inside of the car and at idle - yeah, it sounds kinda quiet.

I've not heard for myself what a SGT sounds like with the mufflers removed "Muffler Delete Option" as some have called it.

Several on here have done so and say it's nothing short of awesome, I would like to hear it for myself or ask of those who have done this. . . .

Just how loud is the SGT if you remove the mufflers and replace them with a straight pipe???? Is it ridiculously loud? Are you making people deaf if you blast by them at WOT????

Trevor

I've recently hit the 3100 mile mark and must say something's broke loose on the SGT! It sounds waaay better and all of a sudden a whole lot more responsive and snappier!

I'm not even at 300 miles! :hysterical: Damn rain here in FL for 7 straight days is ridiculous. Shelby inside garage is panting like an excited Dog that wants to go for a run. I'm hearing the Kenne Bell whine which is really nice but still not notice any change on exhaust sound yet. I'll give it a couple thousand miles and if still not happy, changing to Magnaflow all the way down. :shift:

I have gotten close to the 8k mark on miles on my 08 SGT . . . . just like what was mentioned above. . . from the inside it sounds pretty quiet. . . but if you're outside or behind the Shelby GT - it's nothing short of perfect when you're at WOT and running about 3500 to 4500 rpm. I've been asked a few times what I've got for exhaust on my car in the last few months.

Once while driving next to some dude in a truck wearing a Corvette shirt leaned over and said "I've got a Corvette - nice stripes"........."Sounds kinda quiet" .. .. ... ......

I think that it's a little bit about preception - from the inside of the car and at idle - yeah, it sounds kinda quiet.

I've not heard for myself what a SGT sounds like with the mufflers removed "Muffler Delete Option" as some have called it.

Several on here have done so and say it's nothing short of awesome, I would like to hear it for myself or ask of those who have done this. . . .

Just how loud is the SGT if you remove the mufflers and replace them with a straight pipe???? Is it ridiculously loud? Are you making people deaf if you blast by them at WOT????

Trevor

As a recent convert to "muffler-less", (SLP Loudmouths), I can honestly say that it is only moderately louder at speed than with the mufflers. At idle, it's hard to tell the difference unless you're standing at the back of the car. There is no uncomfortable droning at cruise. WOT sounds awesome, especially after the system has warmed up. While cold, there is more of a "crack" to the exhaust note, with some moderate popping when you let off the throttle. Once it warms up, the popping turns to a great sounding burble!

After a couple of hundred miles, the only "cons" I've noticed : 1) A squeaking from the exhaust/hangar at low speed, usually when I back off the throttle over small bumps. 2) A sound that I can't really describe, (sort of a cross between a rattle and a squeaky whine), that seems to come from the back seat/parcel tray area at about 3100 rpm. Might be something resonating at the same frequency as the pipes, I don't know.

I may go back to stock mufflers, but for now I'm really enjoying the notes that engine plays!

Sam

AKA:

Archived