TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nav system for an 07?

thewheelman

The toss up was between the pre-production 07 I bought an the 08 on the showroom floor with the factory navigation system. The low vin number won, but now I'm wondering if I can install (or have installed) a "factory" nav system in my 07? I know factory nav w/satellite radio were optional on Mustangs in 07. Can I pick one up (salvage, junk yard, ebay) and install it myself? Do I have to order it through the dealer to make it all work? Does a dealer or retail installed have to make the installation? What aftermarket units will look "factory" in my car?

Lots, of questions, I know....but thanks in advance!

You can install a Ford nav unit but....

It will need to be programed for your car by a Visteon rep, usually at your dealer. There is also a minor gotcha with the nav unit in SOME 07 models, factory or not. The head unit may report an error on bootup with regard to the speed input. It is not fixable in 2007models, its a datastream problem that was fixed in the 08 processors. Unit works fine, regardless of the error. it only effects the speed sensitive volume control, not the nav functions.

The toss up was between the pre-production 07 I bought an the 08 on the showroom floor with the factory navigation system. The low vin number won, but now I'm wondering if I can install (or have installed) a "factory" nav system in my 07? I know factory nav w/satellite radio were optional on Mustangs in 07. Can I pick one up (salvage, junk yard, ebay) and install it myself? Do I have to order it through the dealer to make it all work? Does a dealer or retail installed have to make the installation? What aftermarket units will look "factory" in my car?

I just had a Kenwood DVD-CD, Bluetooth, SAT, NAV & USB unit installed in my 2005 GT and everyone who sees it thinks it was a "factory" installation. The only thing that could not be made to function was the speed volume, but that is a minor thing since the rest of the package works great; it also has a 6.3" touch screen and is double DIN in size making it a perfect replacement. A Kenwood 5120 model from Mickey Shorr. The Bluetooth is an add-on but makes it all hands free calling with auto answer/hangup, radio mute and restore when call is finished. Check it out, I think you will like it!

toronaga

I would also look at the Pioneer Avic Z3. This unit has a built in 30 gig hard disk. A third of said disk is available for your ipod play lists, etc. The other two thirds are the map data (no dvd required). This unit has many bells and whistles that you would enjoy! The unit is a "double din" unit which will flush mount nicely in the dash of your car!

:happy feet: :happy feet:

I would also look at the Pioneer Avic Z3. This unit has a built in 30 gig hard disk. A third of said disk is available for your ipod play lists, etc. The other two thirds are the map data (no dvd required). This unit has many bells and whistles that you would enjoy! The unit is a "double din" unit which will flush mount nicely in the dash of your car!

:happy feet: :happy feet:

Does it just plug right in or do you have to change the wiring or speakers like in the older Mach460 sound systems?

• 2 weeks later...

This is really on my mind for some reason. T really wish I had the factory nav system on my 07. I've been looking at the factory units on ebay.....$900 plus shipping, plus this programming, plus installation (unless I can do it myself). So what's this deal going to run me and what happens if it fries some other component in the car....warranty? Ha! Not a chance--unless the dealer installs it, right? Remind me again, who makes this system for Ford? Can I go get one that is visually similar to it, with comparable features at Best Buy or other electronics store and have them install it? I really don't want something that doesn't look and act factory (or at least very close).

This is really on my mind for some reason. T really wish I had the factory nav system on my 07. I've been looking at the factory units on ebay.....$900 plus shipping, plus this programming, plus installation (unless I can do it myself). So what's this deal going to run me and what happens if it fries some other component in the car....warranty? Ha! Not a chance--unless the dealer installs it, right? Remind me again, who makes this system for Ford? Can I go get one that is visually similar to it, with comparable features at Best Buy or other electronics store and have them install it? I really don't want something that doesn't look and act factory (or at least very close).

Buy the unit new from a real Visteon dealer and have your local Visteon service tech install it. They are the ones that do all the radio warranty work at your dealership. I got mine from the dealer in Chicago through ebay. Brand new in the Ford box with warranty etc. I installed it myself and had the local Visteon dealer here in Houston program it while at Lone Star Ford. You will likely still have the speed input error but it has very little effect on the units operation. Only speed sensitive volume will not work. Will not effect your warranty on the car whatsoever.

How do I find a "real visteon" dealer? Or is that a Ford dealer?

Thanks!

Here is the one I bought from:

Robert Lederer

CHICAGO PARTS & SOUND, LLC.

635 Wheat Ln.

Wood Dale, IL 60191

Phone: 630-350-1500

Fax: 630-350-0178

Your Ford dealer has one they deal with too. Ask the company name that services the radios for them. You can also look them up with Google.

wheelman:

can't comment on the nav, but am curious how you know yours is a "certified" pre production car. There was speculation in 06 when the 07s started rolling out.

My vin ends in 195888 and I'd heard that all pre 196xxx vehicles were pre production. Does your vin end in 195xxx?

Thanks.

wheelman:

can't comment on the nav, but am curious how you know yours is a "certified" pre production car. There was speculation in 06 when the 07s started rolling out.

My vin ends in 195888 and I'd heard that all pre 196xxx vehicles were pre production. Does your vin end in 195xxx?

Thanks.

Yes, I'm 195856, invoices from Ford to dealer list the car as "certified pre-production".

Yes, I'm 195856, invoices from Ford to dealer list the car as "certified pre-production".

Hal:

thanks for the info. Like I said, mine was 195888 and it looks like yours was just a bit before mine. When was your build date? I belive mine was mid may 06 or so.

Where would you see the certified info? I have the original window sticker.

Eric

Archived